Cat Litter Tray With Filter ?

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi I'm shopping for a new bathroom (litter box) for gracie and seem on zooplus they do litter trays with or without filter, she just has a normal litter box with a flap door at the moment . She has always been fantastic with her litter box so don't want to make any big change . How does the filter work anyone ? Have googled but wondered if anyone had one with a filter ? Thank you

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My covered litter box has a filter on the top. It is just a little pouch of carbon over vents in the lid. I don't really notice a significant difference between the smell level with the filter in or an uncovered box. However, I do have a very picky boy who yells for cleaning after using the box.

Since there are no mechanics to force air through the filter as opposed to out the front flap I think it would just work to absorb some of the smell and maybe help cut back? It could just be a marketing ploy. I know that things like carbon or coffee grounds can absorb scents in the air but the effectiveness in a pouch without real air flow around it is a little questionable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks I suppose it's obvious however didnt know what to buy ! I've just ordered a new kitter box with a filter and I'll see how it goes ! I've read should buy a new tray / box once a year. I'm a bit OTT with litter box . Wear disposable gloves when scoop twice a day however just read I should be wearing a face mask too! Told my hubby to bring me a mask home from work (he's a painter) - he thinks I'm nuts !

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm 73 and have been scooping litter with no gloves and no face mask for at least 63 of those years, and I'm healthy. The only reason to wear a face mask would be if the litter is too dusty, and if it is, you should change litter because it's not good for your cat. The only reason for the super sanitary conditions is (1) if you are pregnant and even THEN only if you have a cat that goes outside and is exposed to things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I put the mask on once and poor gracie looked terrified when I was cleaning her litter . I scoop twice a day and clean the section she has weed in I so pick up her poop as soon as she goes - apparently the feaces also has to be left there for 24 hours to be infected