cat litter shortage?

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there a cat litter shortage? The brand I've been using Dr Elsey's is seemingly harder for me to find in the 40lb bags. Amazon used to have it but they don't anymore. I can get it from chewy or petco but I don't normally buy things from them.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there is a shortage on everything I buy. Try other online suppliers. Even Walmart, etc. carry a lot of stuff online they don't have in store. I even bought my free-standing soaking tub from Walmart online! PS they have been out of my outside cat's favorite food since early summer! Friskies shredded turkey and cheese. I have to order it online which I hate now that it is winter, it will probably freeze.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does seem as though eventually there's a shortage on everything I buy, so for things like Ruby's cat food, and litter, I try to always have a good supply on hand. Not fun though when you go to buy something and it's out of stock. However, in your case, since Chewy and Petco still show the litter in stock, maybe either Amazon had a sale and sold out, or they're not going to carry it anymore.

Zerthax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I get my litter from Costco and haven't noticed any shortages. It could be a brand-specific shortage?

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use this brand, too! I used to order the 20 lb bags from Amazon for about $11 each. Recently they went up to $16 each for 20 lb or $21 for 40 lb so I had to start buying the 40 lb ones. I'm guessing other people probably made the same calculation and couldn't justify purchasing the 20 lb bags. I also recently noticed that they're out of stock and it looks like Chewy is charging the new price for the 20 lb bag too -- sad since it's so much more manageable than the 40 lb bag (I live on the 4th floor with no elevator).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
suzeanna suzeanna I know!! The pricing got really weird. I saw some retailers also have a 35lb bag for the same price as the 40lb bag. I reached out to Dr Elsey's and the response didn't really make sense. Seems like they offer different sizes to different customers (amazon, walmart, chewy, etc) instead of a set product range.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Littermaid's litter was, maybe still is? out of stock earlier this past summer.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Petco had a shortage on Dr Elseys, about a month or so ago. I did find it at PetSmart. I have also tried added som Tidy Cats Free and Clear. There was a shortage of that, for about 3 weeks. I keep an extra box and container of each, in the closet, just in case...

I cannot manage the bags of Dr Elsey's. The large ones are too heavy for me, plus no storage space for it. I prefer the boxes. These are sometimes very hard to find.

The way all the shortages are going, I think I should just invest in renting a store room, for things. Kind of like my own store!!