Cat litter problems!!!!!

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope I posted this in the right area.

Well I've posted a few things about Feline Pine. I had to buy the clumping stuff when I ran out of Feline Pine, and now since I've beening using it in the litter box I've been suffering from a mojor headach. Could it be the litter? I'm kind of worried? Aren't there things you can catch from cleaning the litter box? Thursday (if I'm still alive) I'll be buying the Feline Pine again, even if Em doesn't like it all that much.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing you can "catch" from a litterbox is toxoplasmosis. The most common source of toxoplasmosis infection to people is through undercooked or raw meat, especially pork. Many people are under the false assumption that cats are a major source of Toxoplasmosis risk, but this is untrue. Even when cats are infected with Toxoplasma (usually as kittens), they only shed the organism for a very short period of time (often less than a two-week period). Once the organism is shed in the stool, it is not able to cause infection for at least two or three days; this is why it is important to dispose of stools on a daily basis if you are worried about Toxoplasmosis.
As far as getting a headache from the new litter, it may be that you are allergic to the dust or any fragrance it contains. Some litters have much more dust than others. If you run out of litter again, and need something right away, you can try just the plain clay litter, there's no dust.