Cat litter odour is so bad

pusspuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, can anyone help me please? The odour from my cat litter is very strong even a few hours after I change it I've used scented powders, I have an enclosed litter box with carbon filter and yet the smell permeates the whole room. I have recently taken in a large male cat whose owners were moving. I am looking at buying something really expensive online but I'm worried that mite not even work. Any advice from you seasoned cat owners wud be really appreciated. I work at home all day and the smell is catching in my throat as we speak. Also the cat goes out a few times a day and only appears to urinate in the box.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is he fixed?
For odour control, some things work better than others. What litter are you currently using?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pusspuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good question. I don't know if he is fixed. I've been using aldi and tesco cat litters

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That will impact the smell quite a bit. Intact males urine is infamous as far as odour goes.

Check with the previous owners or your vet to see if he is neutered and if he isn't, get it done asap. That'll help with the smell a bit, although it should be done regardless.

Another idea would be to use a different litter. I've found wood pellets to be quite good for odor control (and money/cleaning wise too). There's also like activated charcoal granules you can sprinkle on the litter which may help a bit. In my case, the effect was good, but the one thing that has resolved the issue was changing litter.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

pusspuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK that's good to know. I didn't realise the litter would have an impact. Also I will check out if he's intact, based on the smell I wudnt be surprised. Thanks for the advice

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diet is also an issue.

I have found higher quality wet food GREATLY reduces odors.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found that litters are tremendously different in the ability to control odors. I have used expensive brands and my whole house stinks. I always go back to Scoop Away and Fresh Step, both are in-store and online at Walmart. They have worked the best for me, and I don't have to change them near as often. Make sure it is clumping too, that makes a difference. Bre careful letting him outdoors, I have buried a lot of cats doing that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And, just to add another possibility - cat urine can also smell excessively strong with UTIs/bladder infections.

It will also be worse if he is the kind of cat who isn't particularly interested in covering his urine. If that were to be the case, go cover it up for him and see if the smell dissipates a bit after a few minutes.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet he isn't neutered. There are very few litters that can cover up tomcat smell. Once you have him done the odor should improve considerably.

In the US, one litter I've found that can handle tomcat odor is Fresh Step non-clumping, with the carbon bits. I don't know if there's anything like that in other countries, but if a litter has carbon bits in it, give that a try!