Cat Litter Looks Darker On New Litter After Pee- ?

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really like the new litter but I have noticed in both the darker and lighter version of the litter (Jonny Cat comes in a lighter and darker clay) the wet clay looks overall darker after she urinates than her old litter(freshstep). She is on perpetual clavamox antibiotic for her medical conditions so I don't think she has an infection, she is eating good, drinking good and peeing good. It might just be the change of clay type so I have some left over older litter that she used to be on and will switch back to see if there is a difference. We see her vet this week anyhow so we will see. I decided to put a double layer of white paper towel under the litter in her litter box to see if I can see the color as the urine migrates to the bottom. I tried it on one box that needed changing and will change the other tomorrow. She is a little backed off from eating today but that happens on and off with her inflammatory bowel disease and whether or not she has had a bowel movement. Has anyone had this experience?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
:hellosmiley: I've not had this experience but I use a different litter than the two you mention. Still, I'm interested in knowing what the result of your experiment is when you try her old Fresh Step litter and compare it to the new Jonny Cat. I think you're right that the darker pee probably reflects differences between the litters and not an infection but it would be very interesting to know that. Fingers crossed :crossfingers::crossfingers: that she gets a good report from the vet this week - IBD can be such a bear to treat! Good luck! :goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley: I've not had this experience but I use a different litter than the two you mention. Still, I'm interested in knowing what the result of your experiment is when you try her old Fresh Step litter and compare it to the new Jonny Cat. I think you're right that the darker pee probably reflects differences between the litters and not an infection but it would be very interesting to know that. Fingers crossed :crossfingers::crossfingers: that she gets a good report from the vet this week - IBD can be such a bear to treat! Good luck! :goodluck:
Two boxes of litter are out. One old and one new litter. So far she finally took two poops. And she preferenced the new litter - good sign. I have put a folded sheet of white soft paper towel under her old litter to check and we use litter liner bags - have for years- I think she will eat a bigger dinner tonight! Once she uses the new litter more I will put paper towel under that one too. Should show. She sees her internal medicine vet this week. She has had IBD & chronic hepatitis since age one and last few years pancreatitis. She just turned fifteen and looks and behaves like a kitten. Seems and looks healthier than ever before. Good food right meds good internal medicine vet sure helps. Tablespoon of organic baby food pumpkin added in to lotus just juicy venison is what she currently eats .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Two boxes of litter are out. One old and one new litter. So far she finally took two poops. And she preferenced the new litter - good sign. I have put a folded sheet of white soft paper towel under her old litter to check and we use litter liner bags - have for years- I think she will eat a bigger dinner tonight! Once she uses the new litter more I will put paper towel under that one too. Should show. She sees her internal medicine vet this week. She has had IBD & chronic hepatitis since age one and last few years pancreatitis. She just turned fifteen and looks and behaves like a kitten. Seems and looks healthier than ever before. Good food right meds good internal medicine vet sure helps. Tablespoon of organic baby food pumpkin added in to lotus just juicy venison is what she currently eats .
Results: The older Fresh Step Extreme stayed lighter with pee and the paper towel was normal. The new litter stays darker with pee maybe it doesn't drive out? No problem with the cat It is the litter not the cat...YAY