Cat litter for a cat with kidney issues who pees a LOT?

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After trying what feels like a million types of cat litter I'm about to go insane. Spoon has kidney failure and pees a lot. Now that she's an indoor cat I've discovered how much she pees! I have to change the entire box of litter weekly. It clumps up into a huge mess in the bottom of the box. It doesn't matter how much litter I put in, the result is the same. I also can't clean up right after her since I work. To make matters worse, my other cat is very fussy about it being clean. If I don't replace it very often he will pee elsewhere.

Help?! What kind of kitty litter is best for a cat who pees a lot? I feel like I've tried all the litter. It's getting incredibly expensive. Kira is peeing all over my work clothes, I'm going broke on litter, and my demon cat is mad about all the attention those two are getting due to it.

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What litter have you tried? Generally it should be scooped very often to avoid the clumping in the bottom of the box. My previous cat had kidney disease in the last years of her life and for 21 years she used pine pellets. I did dump the whole box weekly and I scooped out a lot of the dust daily. But your other cats may protest.

Right now one of my cats is a high volume pee producer. I find that clumping clay works best for him but I scoop the boxes 3-4 times a day. For a high volume pee producer in a multicat household where you can’t scoop often you could consider a clumping litter that makes smaller clumps if you prefer clumping litter. Those would be the finer sand based types like dr elseys sensitive paws or scoop away and some of the fresh step litters (not clean paws). Target has a house brand that’s pretty fine grained but I find it dusty, it does leave tiny clumps. The dr elseys sensitive leaves tiny clumps but again is dusty.For a multicat household I don’t recommend the kind that boasts it clumps on top of the litter, your other cats will likely get angry.

is it possible to add more boxes so your other cats still have a clean space to go?

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
what about one of those litters where there is a pee pad at the bottom? I've seen them where there is some sort of litter on top, and a tray at the bottom. The pee goes through the litter to the pad on the tray, and the poo is scoopable on top. The pad should be easy to change more frequently, the litter scooped when it needs, but the rest of the stuff isn't there to annoy the fussy cat.

This is one, but I've seen others online.
TIDY CATS Breeze Cat Litter Box System - Chewy.com

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I use Dr. Elsey's litter and am happy with how it cleans up. However, I do have a couple of older cats who pee a lot and when I clean the box, which is twice a day, I use a paint scrapper tool to remove anything stuck to the bottom of the box. It leaves a box which is entirely filled with unclumped litter and nothing stuck to the bottom.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074NWWKL8/?tag=thecatsite

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've been using Arm and Hammer's Multicat. Clumps up very well. We have one cat that enjoys water quite a bit and the other early stage kidney disease. The A&H holds up.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
More litter boxes. One more than you have cats. You are going to have the same amount of pee no matter what litter you use. I don’t know, cheap un-clumping, use less, change more?

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
More litter boxes. One more than you have cats. You are going to have the same amount of pee no matter what litter you use. I don’t know, cheap un-clumping, use less, change more?
I like the litter liners myself... watching a company for a biodegradable version.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I've tried all my walmarts litters by now! They all create huge clumps. I hadn't thought of a paint scraper before. I miss when my cats could pee outside - I didn't realize how much they peed. Box cleaning is hard when you're at work all week. :( And the smell is funky.

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I've tried all my walmarts litters by now! They all create huge clumps. I hadn't thought of a paint scraper before. I miss when my cats could pee outside - I didn't realize how much they peed. Box cleaning is hard when you're at work all week. :( And the smell is funky.
When I worked outside of the home (pre covid) I scooped before I left for work in the morning and again when I came home after work and again before bed.