Cat litter dust caked in fur

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi I used Dr elsey for many years I stopped a year ago when I got massively dusty batches of litter. So dusty there was litter on every surface in the closet where my boxes where. Over the last year I have moved to tidy cats charcoal. I’m starting to notice changed with the tidy cats and I’m getting random batches and extremely dusty litter. My cats are not very keen on brushing. One cat is very over weight and cat not clean herself all over. My last couple batches of litter were really bad. On the over weight cat I’m noticing she has cat litter dust embedded deep down into her fur. When I pet her my hands feel slick. Is it safe to try and tackle this with plain water like a sponge bath in small sections? Or will the litter in the undercoat just turn to cement? She will not tolerate a bath. Has anyone else ever seen this?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While I cannot say Fresh Step doesn't have some dust, at least it doesn't seem to be any worse than before. As far as the dust on your cats, have you tried brushing/combing it out? I know you said your cats aren't keen on it, but it sounds like it should be done regardless especially on your older, overweight cat. There are hypoallergenic wipes that are not too moisture-filled, but I still think a brushing will go a long way compared to wipes and/or sponge bathing. Even with these options, brushing should probably be done afterward.

I think the slickness you are feeling isn't so much from the litter as it is from her lack of grooming. The brushing/combing should probably be part of your routine with her even if you would find a dust-free litter. It will help to spread her natural oils over her entire body, similarly to what happens when they groom themselves.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I can't tell if that's just her undercoat? But in any case, I don't think I'd use anything that adds moisture. Can you get her to a groomer?

Are you working on finding a way to help her lose weight?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While I cannot say Fresh Step doesn't have some dust, at least it doesn't seem to be any worse than before. As far as the dust on your cats, have you tried brushing/combing it out? I know you said your cats aren't keen on it, but it sounds like it should be done regardless especially on your older, overweight cat. There are hypoallergenic wipes that are not too moisture-filled, but I still think a brushing will go a long way compared to wipes and/or sponge bathing. Even with these options, brushing should probably be done afterward.

I think the slickness you are feeling isn't so much from the litter as it is from her lack of grooming. The brushing/combing should probably be part of your routine with her even if you would find a dust-free litter. It will help to spread her natural oils over her entire body, similarly to what happens when they groom themselves.
I try to brush a small amount daily for what she will tolerate. Over the last 2 ish weeks though she has had no brushing because of power struggle between cats and fight for the couch. It’s the only place I can brush her. That is build up not the color of her undercoat. In the past I noticed it but it was not too past. It’s progressed over the months. And it’s splotchy in different areas. The hair feels different in those areas. The further in I get my fingers the more sticky it feels like when cleaning the boxes. What I’m trying to do is separate the hair some and brush down as close to the root as possible. I’m using a boar/nylon brush

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - I can't tell if that's just her undercoat? But in any case, I don't think I'd use anything that adds moisture. Can you get her to a groomer?

Are you working on finding a way to help her lose weight?
Hi! It’s not undercoat coloring it’s dust. Sorry I think I partially replied to you above. The texture is different and leaves a silk film. I will try to take a better picture tomorrow when it is light outside and she is back on the couch. My cats have never been to a groomer and a vet visit rocks their world. While they are pretty easy going They get high stressed very easily. A knock on the door sends them to hiding.
About the weight.. that is something else I plan to ask for help on.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you utilize calming products?
Only the plug ins.. which I will say I am slacking on. I actually have a new box I am going to plug in tonight. This is sooo off subject but my other cat got her yearly vax yesterday and they hit a nerve which has caused a limp. Kitty with the bad dust issue is playing bully and going around hissing like crazy which isn’t the normal. Anytime one leaves the house and comes back.. I guess the smell is different and one wants to play Alfa. Which is strange because most of the time they are equal. But yes!! Thank you I need to put a new plug in. I’ve tried calming treats but they will not eat them.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! It’s not undercoat coloring it’s dust. Sorry I think I partially replied to you above. The texture is different and leaves a silk film. I will try to take a better picture tomorrow when it is light outside and she is back on the couch. My cats have never been to a groomer and a vet visit rocks their world. While they are pretty easy going They get high stressed very easily. A knock on the door sends them to hiding.
About the weight.. that is something else I plan to ask for help on.
So no moister, you recommended just trying to brush?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
my other cat got her yearly vax yesterday and they hit a nerve which has caused a limp. Kitty with the bad dust issue is playing bully and going around hissing like crazy which isn’t the normal. Anytime one leaves the house and comes back..
Wiping down the cat that stayed home with a towel/blanket and rubbing that on the cat that visited the vet will sometimes override that vet visit smell. It is always good to do this ahead of time so that the minute the one cat comes home the towel can be used before they get together. Brushing can also sometimes accomplish the same thing. It is still not too late to try one or the other.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
you recommended just trying to brush?
This won't be a fast process, but I think so. As feebysowner mentioned, it will help distribute the oils in the coat, and hopefully with time the buildup will decrease and be eliminated.

they hit a nerve which has caused a limp.
Oh, poor sweetie!
You could also try this;

From valanhb
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.

This trick works when introducing cats into the household, and also when one of them has been to the vet and therefore smells different to the others who didn't go.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wiping down the cat that stayed home with a towel/blanket and rubbing that on the cat that visited the vet will sometimes override that vet visit smell. It is always good to do this ahead of time so that the minute the one cat comes home the towel can be used before they get together. Brushing can also sometimes accomplish the same thing. It is still not too late to try one or the other.
That’s a great idea thank you!! I’m going to try this tonight

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This won't be a fast process, but I think so. As feebysowner mentioned, it will help distribute the oils in the coat, and hopefully with time the buildup will decrease and be eliminated.

Oh, poor sweetie!
You could also try this;

From valanhb
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.

This trick works when introducing cats into the household, and also when one of them has been to the vet and therefore smells different to the others who didn't go.
I would have never thought of this. I actually have a third cat that is not part info the original litter. Both of the other cats are always smelling her and constantly sniff wherever she has sat. They dont take kindly to her sitting in their blankets, like she stinks or something! She doesn’t!! It been almost 9 years lol. Maybe I can try this for cohesion