Cat Litter Containment

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sure this has been asked before... What's the best way to keep litter from spreading all over? We had to put a litter box in our bedroom because Laelia was pottying on Jonah's clothes and shoes. We have hardwood flooring and Toothless likes to dig to China so there's always litter all over our bedroom now. We can't get a different box because Laelia won't use one with a cover or with high sides. I'm thinking maybe a big under-bed container?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the bigger the box the better i think. I have a digs to China guy :) i do have some of those under the bed storage boxes i use. they work great. I also find that if i use less litter i have less problems. I do have to change out the boxes more often, but still beats the litter thrown everywhere, and i do mean everywhere in the room! Maybe the one in the bedroom try just 1 1/2 inches or so of litter? might work for your guys too?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks duckpond duckpond ! I'll try less litter and cleaning more often. It's a smaller box so I can try switching it with a bigger one from the basement too.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
At the sanctuary where I volunteer, one of the kitties is an ”elevator butt” pee-er. I bought opaque Sterilite storage containers for about $10 or $12 each and cut out a piece to make it easier for the kitties to get into (and out of) it. The real estate at the bottom is about the size of a large litter box. To address your issue, it cut down on the litter flinging, too. I think it helps that it’s opaque. They don’t feel so closed in, and the occupant can tell if another cat is lurking! I’ve attached a picture I snagged from the web and tried, poorly, to show how I cut it. I’d show you a photo of one I did, but I won’t be out there again until Friday. Obviously, you wouldn’t want the lid. In fact, I left the lids at the store.

I learned the hard way that it’s better to put a hole first in each corner at the bottom of the cut. It helps to prevent the plastic from cracking when you cut. In your case, since your issue is flinging instead of peeing, you could try cutting your opening in the end.

Attachments

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At the sanctuary where I volunteer, one of the kitties is an ”elevator butt” pee-er. I bought opaque Sterilite storage containers for about $10 or $12 each and cut out a piece to make it easier for the kitties to get into (and out of) it. The real estate at the bottom is about the size of a large litter box. To address your issue, it cut down on the litter flinging, too. I think it helps that it’s opaque. They don’t feel so closed in, and the occupant can tell if another cat is lurking! I’ve attached a picture I snagged from the web and tried, poorly, to show how I cut it. I’d show you a photo of one I did, but I won’t be out there again until Friday. Obviously, you wouldn’t want the lid. In fact, I left the lids at the store.

I learned the hard way that it’s better to put a hole first in each corner at the bottom of the cut. It helps to prevent the plastic from cracking when you cut. In your case, since your issue is flinging instead of peeing, you could try cutting your opening in the end.
This is a great idea....I have three kittens and mommy cat staying on my enclosed porch until they get their shots and then they’ll come in the house. They are very messing with litter going all over. I’m certainly going to try this ASAP. Thanks for attaching a picture.
Thank you

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
For about $20 you can buy a 30 x 30 washing machine pan which had about a two inch lip all around that you can set your litterbox in. It is great at keeping litter contained and also for dealing with cats who go over the side of the box.