Cat litter box smell

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would stay away from the tidy cats lightweight litters. They track like mad, leave sludge all over the bottom of the pan and leave stains everywhere. I have Indy's box next to my washing machine and it has stains from this litter four years after I stopped using it. I think it took the paint off it in places

It also was causing Indy to have weekly asthma attacks.
OMG!!!! You are so right on that one. That thing should be used as cement!!!

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Litter box i am looking for alternatives I have it all over my floor and it smells bad
Yes but hay, it’s not even a straw. I use straw in the chicken coop. I would imagine that using either one or two would stink to the blue sky. You would have to clean immediately after use otherwise it would get soaked and full of bacteria in a couple of hours.Why don’t you look into good mats for litter that takes care of probably 50% of tracking. A good air purifier is a big help. How often do you clean the box?

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes but hay, it’s not even a straw. I use straw in the chicken coop. I would imagine that using either one or two would stink to the blue sky. You would have to clean immediately after use otherwise it would get soaked and full of bacteria in a couple of hours.Why don’t you look into good mats for litter that takes care of probably 50% of tracking. A good air purifier is a big help. How often do you clean the box?
Ok. Nvm well I do ch
Lean it a lot it lans every where and I do put a pad under it to catch it I was just looking for something that wasn’t so messy

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How about pine pellets? One of my family members uses pine pellets and it's cheap at Tractor supply. Now getting your cats to use it is a whole other story. They may not like how it feels on their feet. That's why I'm hesitant to try it.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would stay away from the tidy cats lightweight litters. They track like mad, leave sludge all over the bottom of the pan and leave stains everywhere. I have Indy's box next to my washing machine and it has stains from this litter four years after I stopped using it. I think it took the paint off it in places

It also was causing Indy to have weekly asthma attacks.
Yeah, I thought I would save a few dollars but it was so not worth it lol.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use World's Best Cat Litter and even the litterbox itself never smells of cat urine--not that I'm sticking my nose down there. But with other litters, I would get that cat pee smell every time I cleaned the box. I put a pee pad beneath the box to minimize any splashes. I recommend a UV flashlight to see where your cats are lacking accuracy (and when to change the pee pad.) Finally, there are some great litterbox enclosures that are larger than a hood. I use one of these and put the pee pad in that and the box on the pad. Bonus: You can use the litterbox furniture for storage or an extra table. I would get one with a service door in front and simply take off the service door. Let them come and go through the big entrance and it doesn't seem as confining.
969E0A16-47E5-49FA-BF27-CDCD825C8F72.jpeg
This is Betty’s enclosure. There’s a side entrance. But I took the front door off long ago to make it easier for Krista (before Betty.) There’s a stick on light switch and a camera I have velcroed (3M Command strips) to the side in case there are any bathroom questions that need answering. On top I keep the Litter Genie and a 30 Lb Vittles Vault that I store the litter in.

Last edited:

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in the UK so we get different brands here. For a while all we could get was Catsan due to my car being off the road and had to get it delivered by ASDA (similar to your Walmart). Expensive litter that leaves a vile smell throughout the house when you clean the litter box. I honestly don't know why some people rave about it. Horrid stuff and my cats hated it. Seems to also have sharp edges to the litter that hurt their paws.

Searched online and found an online pet shop that sells large bags of Kittyfriend (non-clumping). What a difference. This really keeps smells down. 25L bag for £11.90 ($14.97) with free delivery for orders over £20 ($25.17) so very economical. Our cats seem to prefer it too. Another good brand we get here is Sanicat. I use the clumping litter in my Omega Paws self-cleaning box (you roll it) and it is excellent too. My cats don't like scented litter so both of these are unscented but really do the job. Perhaps you can find the equivalent in America? Maybe has a different name but are definitely worth a try. The other thing you could do is get a litter box with a high back and sides. This would help stop any splashes but is still an open litter box.

I have 9 cats plus one foster at the moment so a good cat litter is a must. We're going to be investing in a Litter Robot 3 within the next few months which will make life a lot easier for us (I have disabilities now unfortunately).

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used Cats Pride unscented since Gypsy adopted us. Except for right after poopers there's no odor. They have various choices, all good. 20220429_091130.jpg 20220429_090930.jpg 20220429_091501.jpg 20220429_091327.jpg

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
They decided to take revenge and poop on my floor so it was a temp thing she hadn’t gotten litter but now she has it and he’s happy

makeuplover8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try Everclean unscented litter. You won’t smell any pee for at least 6 days. I combine it with baking soda after every scoop and the A&H deodorizer for a fragrance boost from time to time. Scoop at least twice a day and if your cat has an upset stomach at least 4 times a day. I change out the litter completely about ever 2 weeks and clean the litter box with Nature Miracle’s Litter box wipes. Also make sure your scooper stays clean and you clean it at least once a week. Put the litter box near a window that you can crack open from time to time for ventilation. I can guarantee you will see a difference if you follow this I’ve tried many different methods and this one worked the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Goldehwolfeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys!
I was offline for a while due to personal issues and I’m glad to come back to discussion and more options for this!

I appreciate all of the help I was given!

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I changed their litter box to a storage bin but my Sylvester keeps peeing on the rug it’s cleaned every day

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eliminating outside the litter box is 99% of the time that they don't like the litter or the box. Maybe your cat would prefer puppy pee pads, (instead of the carpet) some cats do!

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since I last posted we've invested in a Litter Robot 3 and a Pura Max. Both are really good and the cats love them. We're using Sanicat Ultra Clumping which is scented but our cats don't mind it. It does track a little but not like some litters do. Not sure if you'd get that over there but sometimes you can, just called a different name. Run a Google search "American name for Sanicat Ultra Clumping" and it should tell you. I often do that when I'm baking an American recipe. We have different names for things. Another thing that really helps is a robot vacuum cleaner. Amazon were selling Eufy robot cleaners for £152.99 (think the $ price is very similar). The basic one is very good and comes with magnetic strips you put down to stop the vacuum going where you don't want it to - like near the litter box.