Cat Litter Advice

Misty's Guardian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. A question and some recommendations on cat litter. I have used Scoop Away for Misty for a couple of years but now it's either little dust or a dust storm! The last 2 boxes were very dusty! So I am now going to try Arm & Hammer Platinum Clump & Seal litter. It has gotten very good reviews on Amazon and several newspaper "sites" as well. I ordered 2 small boxes to try it. But if it has a strong smell or dust I will keep looking for a no dust no smell, clumping type. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you all.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Arm and Hammer Slide clumping litter and absolutely love it. No dust, though there is a pleasant scent. It clumps very well and doesn't stick to the bottom of the tray. It does track a little as it is very fine, but a silicon mat in front of the litterbox catches most of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Misty's Guardian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your info. When I get my order of litter I can then see if it will work for Misty. If it does have a scent that maybe a problem. I have looked for a mat to put under her box but they all seem to big or to small. But I will be getting her a new one soon. Thank you again.

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. A question and some recommendations on cat litter. I have used Scoop Away for Misty for a couple of years but now it's either little dust or a dust storm! The last 2 boxes were very dusty! So I am now going to try Arm & Hammer Platinum Clump & Seal litter. It has gotten very good reviews on Amazon and several newspaper "sites" as well. I ordered 2 small boxes to try it. But if it has a strong smell or dust I will keep looking for a no dust no smell, clumping type. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you all.
Have you tried wood pellet? Some cats like it and it smells so good
Cat’s best clumping pellet is incredible
If your cat likes sand you should try SepiCat Lightweight Clumping Litter I use it with my three cats and it lasts a lot (+ doesn’t smell + not much dust + made for cat who has problems in its paws)

Misty's Guardian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Natalusky29. At a cat "hotel" Misty was given the Feline Pine litter, and the administrator said she used it with no problem. When I brought her home I put that in her litter box and she refused to use it! Had to rush out to get her usual litter. I am not familiar with the SepiCat Lightweight Clumping Litter. But I will check that out.

Radtech49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been using frisco unscented cat litter. To my knowledge, it's only available on Chewy.com, but it's cheap. I do have a litter robot, but i pour the bags in a huge bin and there's literally no dust. My favorite litter used to be integrity cat litter. It's just bentonite clay. The regular, not multicat. But it's so hard to find because it's only available on the west coast and most places have stopped shipping it. Too expensive to ship.
So, i found this frisco litter. It's made in canada. It's around $8 for 20lbs and even cheaper if you get the 40lb bag.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just started using frisco litter and it is very dusty. I also started using Dr. Elsey's litter at the same time and there is much lower to no dust with that one.

Radtech49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just started using frisco litter and it is very dusty. I also started using Dr. Elsey's litter at the same time and there is much lower to no dust with that one.
Weird how different batches can be. I found dr. Elsey's to be very dusty. But it also didn't clump very well in the litter robot. When i pour in the frisco brand, i get no dust cloud at all

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weird how different batches can be. I found dr. Elsey's to be very dusty. But it also didn't clump very well in the litter robot. When i pour in the frisco brand, i get no dust cloud at all
It is interesting! I've heard people say the same about Dr. Elsey's that it was very dust for them! Since both of those came in bags, I poured them into another container that had a lid when I opened the bags. This happened on the same day since both brands were new and I wanted to give my cats options for which litter to use. For me, there was a visible cloud and I had to turn my head with the frisco, but with Dr. Elsey's I was like, wha--- is there even any dust, holy cow!

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried armor hammer ultra last and it was SO dusty that the cats hate it, sneezing all over - now dealing with what I think is an upper respitory infection but they also seem to resent the litter. So I'm not sure. It SMELLS so bad though like I just changed the box and can heavy smell the litter. Not good imo. Usually I buy the armor hammer clump n seal cloud control (comes in a blue box?) and that has been the ONLY litter that has never bothered Jasper's allergies. It's also super fine so that cats seem to not mind walking on it and don't seem to track it as much. I didn't buy it recently because I noticed they switched to lightweight, and can only find small boxes for the normal. I heard lightweight formulas were causing throat cancer in cats. If anyone knows otherwise, correct me! but that was my biggest hang up with it

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use arm and hammer clump and seal multiple cat 100% dust free. Pretty much is.

Miamha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat likes Worlds Best Litter, no dust, and it clumps well. I tried Litter Maid corn cob litter because it looked so soft and nice for her paws, but she didn't like it.

Misty's Guardian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As an update, I have put the Arm & Hammer Platinum Clump & Seal in Misty's box and boy what a disaster!! Not much dust ( claims 100% dust free?) But Misty seemed to not like it. But the main problem was with me. There must be some king of chemical off putting from the litter because I had major pain in my two large sinus caveties below my eyes. I had to blow my nose several times to get any relief. The strange part is there is no smell, but the apparent chemical off putting of this litter has caused me to return the unused portion and request a refund. I will not be able to use this litter! Will use the previous litter Scoop Away until I can find a no dust, no sent, and no off putting chemical problem. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

shaunarose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recommend that you try out 'Naturally Fresh Cat Litter'.
There is no dust at all and is recommended for cats with asthma.

I have also heard good things about 'Worlds Best Cat Litter'. The reviews on amazon seem to be all good.

Last edited by a moderator:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is interesting! I've heard people say the same about Dr. Elsey's that it was very dust for them! Since both of those came in bags, I poured them into another container that had a lid when I opened the bags. This happened on the same day since both brands were new and I wanted to give my cats options for which litter to use. For me, there was a visible cloud and I had to turn my head with the frisco, but with Dr. Elsey's I was like, wha--- is there even any dust, holy cow!
I've been using Dr. Elsey for a long time, and there is some dust but not nearly as much as the one I used prior to that. There is also no scent, I won't use anything with a scent.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use tidy cats unscented cat litter and there's very little dust. No heavy scent and as long as the litter box is maintained well there's no bad smells either. All three of my cats like it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - here's one more thought, I'm using a combination of Littermaid's corncob or walnut litter combined with Luvsome's lightweight unscented. You could try something like that. Hang in there!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just saw this. We tired the arm & hammer light weight litter. The scent, there was definately a scent to it and the cat wouldn't go in the room with the box. I never even got it in the litter box, just opened the cardboard box. The weight was wonderful. If you want to try it I suggest you buy the smallest box you can to smell it. I didn't like the smell either.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I totally agree on Scoop Away being dusty. and messy. The next brand I tried was Fresh Step. Later I tried Tidy Cat only because it is so much easier to carry. Oops! Being lightweight made it extremely messy. The fourth cat litter brand I tried - Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Multi-Cat Strength - is the last cat litter I will ever buy,. No dust. No mess. No odor. Cat approved. Available at Petsmart in small boxes I can carry and 40-pound bags.

Last edited:

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Tidy cat light weight is a major mess. I had to wash it off my cats to prevent them from eating a bunch of it. I switched back to regular tidy cats after that mess and never looked back.