Cat Limping With Swollen Oozing Paw

izzybees

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My MIL's cat came home with a terrible limp a few days ago. His front leg/foot was very swollen and he wouldn't allow anyone to touch it, but from what I could see it did not appear that there was any visible external injuries. So I've been watching him like a hawk.

Just yesterday it started oozing blood and clear puss from one spot on his foot and by nightfall it was oozing from three different locations on his foot and leg.

I wish there was something I can do for him. We've been in a bit of a financial bind with bills and rent due. I myself have a broken hand that I cannot have taken care of because I don't have the $200 to pay upfront to see a hand surgeon. He's bled all over my daughter's bed and he just hasn't been himself. There have even been talks of him possibly losing his foot!

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, wow. I'm so sorry you're going through all this, with both kitty's health and yours.

If this is your MIL's cat, why isn't she taking him to the vet? Or is she staying with you and you're all in the same position?

Infection is really worrying in this case. Losing his foot isn't even the worst possibility; infections can spread system-wide.

I don't know what to say to you. Is there any way you could work out a payment plan with the vet, or do something like Care Credit?

I'm so sorry, and I wish you both the best.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

izzybees

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're living with the MIL. And yes the whole family is in a financial bind. My SO was looking up some things trying to find a low cost vet, but he didn't say if he found anything. It was all for spay/neuter anyway.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're living with the MIL. And yes the whole family is in a financial bind. My SO was looking up some things trying to find a low cost vet, but he didn't say if he found anything. It was all for spay/neuter anyway.
Try local shelters as well. They may be able to hook something up for you, as many of their rescues require low-cost treatment as well.

Here's a resource as well that's posted on the main page for Cat Health:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/when-you-cant-afford-a-veterinarian

In the mean time, or if those things aren't feasible., a suggestion.

This is not a replacement for proper veterinary treatment, and I am not a vet. However, it may help slow down or improve the infection.

I've used this on myself when I was dirt-poor, and it's worked well. However, I wasn't as bad off as your kitty is.

You can try using honey bandages. Use natural honey, not cheap processed stuff -- you need the kind you get from your health food store. Runny is fine, but go for organic or at least not heavily processed.

Honey has well-known bacteria-killing effects, and actually, vets and doctors sometimes use it for treatment-resistent wounds. I do not know whether this will help with your kitty, but it couldn't possibly hurt at this point.

Honey is bio-dissolvable, easily washed away with water, anti-bacterial, and it also breaks down into a very mild hydrogen peroxide substance.

If you do this, please research proper wrapping techniques and be sure not to have it too tight. Also be aware there is one strain of bacteria that can survive honey (this is the only one, as far as I know): botulism. While this is rare, and mostly only harms babies, it is possible.

You can buy medical grade honey that has been treated to prevent botulism, but this is more expensive. You can also buy actual medical honey bandages. But again, this costs more money.

If you can possibly pull the money together for it, I'd suggest going medical-grade. If not, you can be the judge of how bad your kitty is, how much time you have to get the money together, and what risks you're willing to take, however small.

I can't tell you whether it'll help for you cat's particular wound, but I sympathize with how unfair the world is when we need care and aren't rich enough to get it.

Last edited:

agentspooky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also you may be able to get some assistance or at least advice if you can find some rescue groups in your area to call. Try looking up "cat rescue  (your area)" and "animal rescue groups (your area)". Good luck, I hope you are able to work something out and he is feeling better soon!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He really does need to be seen by a vet.  I've been where you are now, even payments wouldn't help because I couldn't afford them.  I would try googling low cost care and calling animal shelters and rescues.  I don't know if anything is available but I would try.  Maybe one of the rescues will take pity and get care as a stray.  I know they get care at greatly reduced prices that's how they are able to get all the care that they get for animals and then have adoption fees that are only a fraction of what we would pay for the same care.  That wouldn't really be kosher because of tax laws but I would try.  

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't say much for cat besides what is already been said.  If he has been to vet in past year or so may be worth asking for a strip of clavamox in attempt to help.

As for your hand-can you do charity care or something at a hospital-even if you go they will bill you and you can sign up later.  We have done that for husbands foot and my bronchitis.  If income is very low you may be oked for free care.

izzybees

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for all your wonderful advice. Right now MIL has been keeping his sores clean and wrapped in gauze. He is also not allowed to go outside (not even to sunbath on the front doorstep). Hopefully we can find some place that will help us.

As for my hand they explained that I had to pay the $200 upfront. I've heard there are some assistant programs in Indiana, but I have to be living there to qualify. My hand is for the most part still functional, just splinted to keep the bone from moving around too much. When we do finally get the money (or the insurance) I'll go in to get surgery to fix it.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow alot different in NJ.  You walk into hospital and tell them you have no insurance/way to pay and nothing is said except ok after you are treated you will see a charity care counselor and if it is after hours we will send you an info pack any questions call us.  Husband had full xrays for foot and I had them 2 different times to rule out more then bronchitis.  I had to pay for meds at cvs or what not to treat.

Please look up Federally Qualified Health Center(FQHC)  and your state.  If you need help PM me and I will look them up for you:)  I broke my foot years ago had no idea of my options.  That foot is a pain nearly every day.  I broke it over 10 years ago.

As for kitty good luck!  As long as you can keep it clean and him from further injuring it it should be ok at some point.  Main issue is if it is a bite and opens up it will be hard to get it to close.  I had a feral years ago I could not catch who had what appeared to be a injury from a car belt hitting him or something else major.   There was a section missing.  It took LONG time but it healed. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For open wounds, colloidal silver is another option (as opposed to the honey...not sure which is the least expensive) 

for both you and the kitty

izzybees

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His wounds are still bleeding (not soaking through like it was at first), but the swelling has gone down tremendously and he can now put some weight on his foot. We can also see the punctures more clearly and they do appear clean, so it's safe to say he is getting better.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad he is getting better.  Cats do seem to be physically very resilient, I guess that's where the saying about a cat having nine lives comes from.