Cat likes to sleep on top of me?

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm just curious if anyone else has a cat that likes to do this. When I go to bed at night, Friday will come and get into bed with me but then he wants to lay on top of me. Usually it's my chest - he'll climb up and knead the blanket for awhile standing up and then lay down. What's funny is that sometimes I'll roll over onto my side and he'll climb back up and lay on top of my hip. It usually takes a couple of rolls on my part before he'll finally just settle down and lay next to me.

He previously was a barn cat, and kind of a diva so he wasn't really close to any other cats. He's always been friendly but of course never before slept with anyone so it's an interesting behavior. I assume it's just comforting for him to be close?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, cats love warmth when they sleep so it’s really common for them to snuggle up next to or on top of humans. But of course, they have to feel comfortable and trust you too. If you had more than one cat they might snuggle on top of each other too. Enjoy!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep I do every night like Azazel said they love the warm. So do I on a cold night ;)

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Selene has slept with me every night since I brought her home.

It feels good-it means the cat trusts you and you must be doing something right ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! It is very comforting for me too - I've said now I think I'd enjoy a weighted blanket since I do like the weight of the cat on me :) I just feel bad when I have to move.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My departed cat Rockie liked to do this, but she was a big girl. Don't get me wrong, big girls are great, but a guy has to breathe now and then. So we would only do this for ten minutes or so, provided she stopped with the massages soon enough for me to retain dinner. I like a massage as much as the next guy, but there is no happy ending for anyone when its a 15 pound belly massage. The trick was not to pet her until she settled down. We experimented with the couch, but couldn't make it work; not the right position for us. Usually I couldn't get at my phone, and I just wasn't feeling the whole staring at the ceiling thing pretending to be into it thing. In her senior years I started jogging again, and stretching on the floor. One day she surprised the *bleep* out of me by just climbing on. I was like geez girl, I'm your special human, but you still have to ask first.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Fiona slept on my chest and became quite irritable if I had to move to change positions, in which case she would try to position herself on my arm and shoulder.