Cat likes to run in front of my feet while I'm walking

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Toru likes to do this, and I've had other cats that like to do it too. When I'm walking up and down the stairs I'm usually hyper aware not to trip over him, but there's times when I'm not aware and I might accidently kick him when I walk. It's not hard and usually it doesn't bother him. Well yesterday I was doing some work and had an extension cord running along the ground, and I stepped over the extension cord as he was running in front of my feet and accidently hit the poor kitty in the eye. He got scared of me for a moment and ran under the couch. I was really worried I'd accidently hurt his eye. He soon came out and and I was able to pet him and make him feel safe, and he seemed fine. But I don't want to this to happen again. Toru really likes to do this, he kept doing it even after this happened. Any ideas how I can get him to stop?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've mostly only had this with kittens. I think if you do some combination of shooing them away with your foot and/or waiting for them to go on ahead they figure it out over time. And, being honest, the occassional mild accident probably helps a lot too. I just try and walk slowly until they figure it out. Are you having this problem with an adult cat?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby does that, but usually when she wants something - like food and I am headed to the kitchen, or she wants out on the screened in patio and I haven't opened up the door yet. Because she only does it under limited circumstances, I just slow down so as not to kick her. If Toru does it for specific reasons, then you can learn to adjust to those reasons and know to watch out for him. If there is no 'rhyme or reason' for when he does it, you can do as A ArtNJ suggested and just kind of scoot him out of the way with your foot, or you can pick him up and place him elsewhere.

If he is into toys you can carry one around with you and throw it away from you to see if he will run after it and get out of your way. It might be that he is looking to 'play' with you and is trying to get your attention, so make sure you are giving him ample attention and play time with you.

I remember reading that Toru is relatively new in your home, so I am guessing over time this behavior will probably slow down the longer he is with you and as he continues to mature. I think you said he is kind of 'wild' and that will certainly become less so as he ages. Has he been neutered yet? If not, that might help to settle him down as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. Toru is pretty young, about 16 months old or so, and he still hasn't been neutered (I have an appointment in a couple of weeks). I do often use my feet to nudge him out of the way and I've also used toys to divert him when he's doing things he shouldn't. But I felt really bad accidently kicking him in the eye!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. Toru is pretty young, about 16 months old or so, and he still hasn't been neutered (I have an appointment in a couple of weeks). I do often use my feet to nudge him out of the way and I've also used toys to divert him when he's doing things he shouldn't. But I felt really bad accidently kicking him in the eye!
Unfortunately it happens. I have accidentally stepped on or kicked a cat dozens of times. Some learn from it not to get so close to our feet but unfortunately others don’t. You just get used to shuffling your feet and watching for cats. Then you stop, gently push them aside with you foot and slowly walk on.

Last edited:

Coolgram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Toru likes to do this, and I've had other cats that like to do it too. When I'm walking up and down the stairs I'm usually hyper aware not to trip over him, but there's times when I'm not aware and I might accidently kick him when I walk. It's not hard and usually it doesn't bother him. Well yesterday I was doing some work and had an extension cord running along the ground, and I stepped over the extension cord as he was running in front of my feet and accidently hit the poor kitty in the eye. He got scared of me for a moment and ran under the couch. I was really worried I'd accidently hurt his eye. He soon came out and and I was able to pet him and make him feel safe, and he seemed fine. But I don't want to this to happen again. Toru really likes to do this, he kept doing it even after this happened. Any ideas how I can get him to stop?
My Gracie also does this and she's almost 2. I can't add anything other than what others have advised, but I can commiserate with you and agree it can be frustrating. When I get up in the morning Gracie is usually in bed with me and walks ahead of me, very slowly, as I try to move through the hallway. And she doesn't stay directly in front of me, she moves from side to side, so if I try to pass her on one side, she moves back to that side so I can't, and back and forth we go until we either get were I was going, or push her aside with my foot. I'm afraid of either stepping on her or falling over her. Sometimes I'll say "Gracie, move!" and then move her to the side with the side of my foot, but the next time it's the same thing all over again!