Cat likes to eat paper even if pen writing is on it.

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.
We took home a small black female cat from a shelter a while back.

Its a lap cat,and I usually prefer cats who just enjoy being petted,but I,m wondering if there is a way to train this type of cat,as it is very willful,and the shelter could never tell us its real name.
It started eating paper a few weeks ago.Not an entire page.It likes to nibble on it pretty much on a regular basis.I figure if the cat can be trained somehow then maybe it can be trained to stop eating paper,and trianed or tamed to do other things.We have had it for 2 years plus now,and would like to start seeing some results.Just not sure how to train it at all,but its a great cat,and well behaved otherwise.
Thanks.:)

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you find out let me know!! Mine chew cardboard boxes to pieces. I think it’s just what they do

• Haha
Reactions: D_H
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you find out let me know!! Mine chew cardboard boxes to pieces. I think it’s just what they do
Mine used to chew cardboard,and swallow,then one day I watched it poop in its litter box,and noticed blood in its stool,so I tried yelling at it the next time ,or standing up,and walking fast towards it,for it to stop,and eventually it did.I would yell no,or stop,but getting up fast,and walking fast towards it made it stop.There are no issues like that when it eats paper,and sometimes I forbid it from doing so,and other times its fine.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats eat things for various reasons including hunger, boredom and/or some weirdness inherent in your particular cat (aka just because). It can be a fairly hard behavior to train away. Often, the best bet is to try and eliminate access. That is generally super hard if the "target" is cardboard or plastic, and though I've never had a big paper issue, I don't imagine paper will be much easier. Give it a try though.

Other than that, unless you aspire to serious heights of training, its easiest to train away negative behaviors. Generally speaking, a loud noise, whether clapping, "no!" or some folks recommend hissing, immediately when they do the behavior. I think it works a LOT better when the thing they are doing is specific to a particular place in the house though, like scratching particular furniture, climbining on particular curtains, going on the kitchen counter/table etc. If paper is in various places, that will likely make it harder for the cat to understand and make a link, which is why I recommend the difficult task of restricting access.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Based on what you've said, it sounds like a combination of boredom and a 'cat being a cat'. If she needs more attention and/or entertainment, that could also explain why she likes to be on your lap so much too. She may always be a lap cat, or she could change on her own over time - if she does, you might actually rue the days when you didn't want her on your lap!! It's been known to happen!

As far as the paper goes - yep, you really have to try to find ways to prevent access to it. You also want to watch out for how much she ingests - paper isn't easily digestible and if enough is eaten it can cause a partial or whole bowel obstruction. In addition to trying to keep paper away from her, consider that this might be because she is somewhat bored. On that note, see if you can glean any tips/suggestions from these TCS articles to help enrich her life.
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) – TheCatSite Articles
8 Superb Automated Cat Toys That You’re Going To Love! – TheCatSite Articles

Just curious, you keep calling her 'it' - did you ever name her? Maybe share her name and a pic, if you'd like!!!

EDIT: Since this is a new behavior - you might consider having her teeth/gums checked out - sometimes cats start to chew on stuff because of a dental issue.

Last edited:

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her pic is my avatar.
We never knew her name.She doesn,t respond to any name we try to use repeatedly.The shelter didn,t know her name.
We have tried "Frisky",and "Lulu"
There is a history for Lulu, but we dont know that much about it.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her pic is my avatar.
We never knew her name.She doesn,t respond to any name we try to use repeatedly.The shelter didn,t know her name.
We have tried "Frisky",and "Lulu"
There is a history for Lulu, but we dont know that much about it.
If the Eskimos can have twelve different words for snow, a cat can have multiple names. People rename cats all the time, no real reason not to name her what you like. Eventually, the cat will likely learn that the name you pick means either "come here for attention or scritches" or "stop doing that" depending on your tone of voice. Although some cats never learn to attribute meaning to it.

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We called her Lulu once,and she responded,but most of the time she doesn,t...only when she feels like,but i,m guessing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby has a dozen different nicknames, and I am not sure she really responds to any of them, per se (she is also 17+ yo). It is more the tone of your voice that attracts them to respond - and what you are doing when you call to them (cuz they seem to know that part). I think they know more about how/if they want to respond based on the inflection of the voice.

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we first took (Frisky or Lulu...just tried coco,no response),to the vet they estimated her age at 2 years old.The shelter said she was 1.That was about 4 years ago,give or take,so she is close to 6,but its all a guessing game.She was in a shelter with other cats,and she came up to me,and rubbed against my leg,and we took her.
I vary the tones.It doesn,t work.She is a bigtime lap cat...hates being picked up.Being petted makes her wanna play or lie down stomach exposed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is a bigtime lap cat...hates being picked up.Being petted makes her wanna play or lie down stomach exposed.
Sounds like she is most comfortable when she feels like her 'humans' are quiet, calm, and sedentary. That would seem to give her a feeling of security as opposed to people moving about and around her. She is more settled when you are more settled.

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she is most comfortable when she feels like her 'humans' are quiet, calm, and sedentary. That would seem to give her a feeling of security as opposed to people moving about and around her. She is more settled when you are more settled.
Actually its the opposite.Any yoga or stretching,and she rubs up against you.

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two paper eaters but Gracie is the worst! Any paper left out is fair game. Receipts, bills, homework, etc. I am very good about not leaving anything out (the minimalist in me I guess) but my husband and boys leave stuff on the kitchen counter all the time. They usually pay the price.

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But you're being quiet :agree:I was just commenting with someone on another thread, cats love it when their people are sitting on the floor sorting through papers or reading, or exercising :)
Well,this cat now doesn,t mind if noise is made:)