Cat likes bleach smell on hands?

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey folks, well this is new to me.

I was disinfecting some items in my tub with a diluted bleach solution (for my aquarium) and although I had thoroughly washed my hands afterwards, my cat seems to go positively nuts trying to rub her head and nibble my hand. Almost like a catnip response.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Feeby (15+ yo) is a freak about bleach!! She seems to be able to smell it clear across my house and comes running to sniff up the fumes emitted by it. She has learned over the years that I will not allow her to get too close, but that does not stop her from hanging out as nearby as she can. I close the door to my bathroom after I have used it, and she will hang right outside the door for a long time if I let her. She has done this pretty much all her life!! She likes it a whole lot more than she likes cat nip!!

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats loves bleach too. The other couldn't care less. I did some research and it said that as long as it's dry, the fumes won't harm them!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
There have been a few threads about cats loving the smell of bleach. My Willow is one of them, just wild over the scent. She also loves the smell of Gain laundry soap so we joke her first home may have been at a laundry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well how about that, I had no idea it was a 'thing' that some cats are into. Me, I prefer coffee - but to each their own :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now that's a pun, nice one!

I used to work with a guy that had 1 pun per day; it was usually after he'd had some coffee. Laughing was a requirement since he was my boss. :)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats hate the smell of bleach. If I've been using in the shower stall they stay away from me for 2 days

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat loves the smell of bleach. WhenI clean the toilet I have to put the cover down and put a towel on top.