Cat Licks Legs!!!!!!!!

sharper16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, this is going to sound strange, but my sister's cat follows her around the house and licks her legs for about 45 minutes. My sister says the cat will constantly lick her legs or climb up her leg and bite her knee. She puts pants on and the cat will lick her feet! Any ideas as to why this cat is doing this? I have never heard of anything like this. It gets to the point where my sister has sore legs because of the licking. My sister wants to lock up the cat until she leaves for work and then let him out. He is a little over a year old and he is neutered, etc.

Any thoughts!

maui

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you describe the manner of licking? Is it playing licking (like playing with a toy)? Is it aggressive chasing and then licking and biting? Or intently licking like eating wet food? Is it always in the morning?

If he is just intently licking — as if he likes the FLAVOR of her legs — maybe she uses a lotion or soap that is attractive, or maybe kitty has a little mineral deficiency or likes the taste of salt? I'd try changing lotions (for sis) and adding a good mineral vitamin supplement (for kitty
I suppose your sister could try taking a vitamin too).

You better post a follow up cuz now I'm reeally curious

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharper16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maui,

The cat licks her legs like when you or I would eat an ice cream cone. Like that. I told my sister that was the strangest thing I ever heard. I used to have a cat that licked plastic bags, but this is weird. I said maybe it was that he liked the lotion! She said if he can't lick her legs then he will climb up her robe and bite her knees.

Too funny huh!

maui

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mmm. . .yummm. . definitely he likes how she tastes
what a silly kitty! If she can't narrow down what it is that makes her so attractive, maybe putting a little bitter apple on her legs for a couple days to break him of this habit?

It's too cute though. . .before she breaks him of the habit, ya gotta take pics!!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would tell her to change moisturizers, and even soap. These as well as shampoos come from by-products of slaughtered animals, and are highly attractive to some cats.

If after switching, it is still going on- I would suggest she put a little bit of lemon juice in a spray bottle (or vinegar) and light spritz her legs- not to much or she could be sticky all day and people would wonder why she smells like a dinner salad!

maddie&tybalt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents cat, Ashes, is an avid forehead licker. He climbs onto the sill of the couch and when you tip your head back he will lick your forehead for as long as you can stand. He purrs when he does this, I think it's thier way of showing thier love. It's the same kind of licking that I see between him and thier other cat, Smudge. I also see it between my two cats. I beleive he is just showing his appreciation for his mommy....How cute!!

compmom42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our kitty grooms our hands, particularly after exercise. I think he likes the salt. Sometimes if he is grooming while on our laps, he'll groom our hands and arms too.

Donny's mom

22angel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shorty likes to lick your legs/arms/hands/feet/toes too! She has always done it. I think it's kind of like a grooming thing...she thinks your her family, and it's her way of showing affection! I let her sleep in my room one nite, and she was up every 2 hours licking my face/shoulders/neck/ears, even my armpit!
icky! oh well. I guess she was happy that I let her sleep in my room. Usually she doesn't b/c she used to get into everything, and wouldn't sleep at all! But she still likes to lick you! For some cats it's normal behaviour. Our other two cats never licked you unless you had food on your fingers, then they would. Just depends on the cat.

mollysmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten, Butters is the same way. It is usually in the morning or before he's getting ready to take a nap. He also likes to nibble/suck on the tips of your fingers when he's tired. A friend told me it could be because he was separated from his mother shortly after birth. Also, my sister's roomate, who found the litter, bottle fed them until they were able to eat solids and maybe he is still used to that. Regardless it's very cute! I was kind of surprised when he did it because my other cat Molly never licked. I assumed it was a behavior reserved for dogs!

jj my ginger ca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there my cat JJ  he  licks  my hands  and  my feet and  he also gives  me  kisses on  my cheek now  and  then 

i think  hes showing  that he  loves  me and trusts me  i think 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey there my cat JJ  he  licks  my hands  and  my feet and  he also gives  me  kisses on  my cheek now  and  then 

i think  hes showing  that he  loves  me and trusts me  i think 
The thread you posted to is 10 years old.  I just don't want you to get discouraged if you get no replies from the original posters. However, everything in it is still relevant.  My cats lick me all the time.  Hands, feet, arms, legs, face, hair, etc.  Silly likes to lick my eyebrow, just the right one and not the left. 

Welcome to TCS