Cat Licking

Sousej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat suddenly started licking his testicles they're all red now I had to put him in a cone to restrain him :( what should I do please help

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is he? Is he neutered? Have there been any changes in the home recently? What kind of food does he eat (dry, wet, raw)?

There are any number of reasons for that behavior. From something physically wrong like a UTI and he is trying to lick it better. To something behavioral/mental like he is stress licking himself.

Honestly, your best bet is to see a vet as soon as possible to rule out medical issues and ensure proper treatment so he doesn't have long term damage. Until then keep the cone on him and ensure he is eating and drinking enough. If you notice changes like lethargic, loss of appetite, litter box problem, or pus/blooding at the site you need to take him in immediately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sousej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is he? Is he neutered? Have there been any changes in the home recently? What kind of food does he eat (dry, wet, raw)?

There are any number of reasons for that behavior. From something physically wrong like a UTI and he is trying to lick it better. To something behavioral/mental like he is stress licking himself.

Honestly, your best bet is to see a vet as soon as possible to rule out medical issues and ensure proper treatment so he doesn't have long term damage. Until then keep the cone on him and ensure he is eating and drinking enough. If you notice changes like lethargic, loss of appetite, litter box problem, or pus/blooding at the site you need to take him in immediately.
he's 4 and neutered, he eats both dry and wet food in rotation and there hasn't been any changes in the house he just suddenly woke up and started licking compulsively and it seems now he can reach tthrough the cone. There are no vets open where I live till monday :(

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it was my cat, I would feel comfortable waiting until Monday with how you are currently describing it. Keep the cone on and clean the site with warm water as needed. You could add a topical neosporin or Betadine to it to help if there is some sort of infection going on. Just make sure if you do neosporin that it is plain neosporin with no added pain medicine.

If you notice any changes in eating, drinking or litter box you should probably consider an emergency vet.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you don't treat for fleas on a regular basis you might try a topical treatment live Advantage or a bath too. It could be a reaction to a flea bite in that area. I would still do the vet and keep the cone on...

Sousej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried the betadine he seemed really pained by it, thanks for your help

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tried the betadine he seemed really pained by it, thanks for your help
If the Betadine stung him then he likely has some sort of skin fungus or infection going on. Just based on my own experience of Betadine on myself and using it on my cats cuts. Generally Betadine doesn't feel like anything. So my guess would be it is tender to the touch.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good news is some reaction helps because it likely is medical (or behavioral that has become medical due to the degree of licking). So a vet visit definetly is in order when possible. The cone should really help prevent it from getting worse until he can see the vet.

Sousej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you