Cat licking wound, can't heal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mesacakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is Polo. We adopted her so Bree could have a play mate and maybe exercise a bit more to help her weight. That didn't work but they get along ok. More like an annoying sister friendship than the best friends we were hoping for!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Love both of them!

Your calico Bree reminds me of a kitty I rescued at 5 weeks old and had for almost 21 years. Looks just like her!

And I'm a sucker for an orange cat any day of the week. They are usually such sweet cats.

I do understand your household dynamics. Perhaps we can get an occasional barn picture update on Frank when he returns. I imagine he is lonely in the basement!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, I posted before I saw Frank's picture on the bed [emoji]128149[/emoji].

He looks right at home! Hay will never feel the same again! :)

mesacakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news the Amazon "Anti-chew butter spray" arrived today! It appears to have TeaTree oil as the main taste deterrent. I sprayed some on him but of course tonight he didn't seem interested in cleaning his right side, only his left side. He did start to lick nearby once then moved to a different spot so maybe it will work... Will see how it goes tomorrow!
Here is an old pic of Frank reuniting with his feral girlfriend the last time I had him home for a month. He had scratched his eye so was in the basement most of December 2014. She really missed him. I love how they were walking in stride with each other. She has two offspring that also were very excited to see Frank and rubbed all over him. They are all fixed of course.

mesacakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is Franks feral girlfriend, Momma, welcoming him home the last time he was gone for a month. Her kitten James is just beyond them, he adores Frank. He was also feral but let's us pet him. His twin sister is still feral. All fixed & ear cropped.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, Frank knows how to play his cards, that's for sure!

What a beautiful barn family he has! It looks like he's got quite the relationship going there with Momma. I'll bet they are all missing Frank this time too!

mesacakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Wound-Gard spray arrived Saturday!
I was using the Anti-chew bitter spray the last few days under his tank top. Today I left it off for 3-4 hours and he licked it a little. Not bad. So now using the wound guard spray which uses Eucalyptus Oil in part. Hoping he dislikes the Eucalyptus more than he disliked the Tea Tree Oil!!
He is super happy to be naked again!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, it finally arrived - that took forever!

Frank's coat looks fabulous. I'll bet he's enjoying life without his tank top, but not the eucalyptus or tea tree oil.

He looks so relaxed in the picture. How much longer before he returns to the barn?

mesacakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He returns on Friday! The other girls at the barn will spray him with the Wound Gaurd if this works at home. It is such a small spot now, surely it will heal up!
This is after his first night naked! Looks like he did not lick it!!!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It looks so much better! I'm hoping it heals even more by Friday.

I'm looking forward to hearing how Frank takes to his barn life again. He's such a lucky guy to have everyone looking out for his welfare. Will you miss him?

mesacakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yay naked kitty all day and no licking!! It is working!!
Yes I am hoping it will have no scabs by Friday.
Of course I will miss him. He is such a fun cat. Chatty and cute. He makes funny silent meows and squeaks. He loves belly rubs. He is very special. Barn cats often are, I think they appreciate us more than my spoiled indoor cats! :)
I love them all though.
My cats and schnauzers will be happy to have my attention back on them.
I just hope Frank and "Tom" the stray that adopted our barn in June, will get along well now. I assume Tom was why Frank lost his bit of fur to begin with but I have no proof. Just timing as Tom had only been there a few weeks.
Tom was fixed in July so I hope they all get along better. He is still having some loud meows with James at times but sometimes they bump heads and rub on each other. I don't get it. It is like they forget they aren't friends for a minute. The four original barn cats (Franks family) seem to have mostly accepted Tom so hopefully Frank will follow their lead!!
He was nicer to Mr Tabby after he returned the last time. Poor Mr Tabby was terrified of Frank before. Then they became friends!
Here is a pic of Mr Tabby, Frank & Momma earlier this summer. All happy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just love that picture and these stories! I hope Frank and Tom will get along. If not, one of those boys may need a new home. I wonder if it's a territorial thing? Like you said, hopefully Tom has settled down a bit more. We can't have Frank getting beat up again!

mesacakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tom is darling. A bit smaller & darker orange but similar to Frank! He had a bad cut on his ear when he showed up so even has one funny ear.
PS - I love kitty pics! If you couldn't tell! They are so photogenic. So I will have follow-up pictures after Frank returns. :)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Wound-Gard spray arrived Saturday!
I was using the Anti-chew bitter spray the last few days under his tank top. Today I left it off for 3-4 hours and he licked it a little. Not bad. So now using the wound guard spray which uses Eucalyptus Oil in part. Hoping he dislikes the Eucalyptus more than he disliked the Tea Tree Oil!!
He is super happy to be naked again!!
I thought tea tree was poisonous for kitties. I need something. After the sore nearly healed, he's at it again.

mesacakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought the same thing, veterinary skin care products that contain small amounts of tea tree oil. In small concentrations (.1% to 1%), tea tree oil is tolerated and safe for cats and dogs. The danger is all the essential oils available that are 100% or have high concentrations of the oils. If not diluted properly, or at all, are very toxic.
The Wound Guard has Eucalyptus, not Tea Tree oil. That is what I am using now that seems to be working.
The Emmy's Best Anti-Chew & lick bitter spray off Amazon had the tea tree oil as the last ingredient (though it doesn't say how much) but he still licked it, although less.
The down side is the Wound Guard took so long to get here. If you order it from Petshed.com try calling them to see if they can do UPS or FedEx. You can email them also and they respond quickly. It was the only place online that I found that spray. The bottle says your vet may carry it though.
When my package arrived it was very warm out and it says to keep the product cool. So I am worried it might not be as good but I am at 6+ weeks of this now and desperate! Plus I am going to be gone the next two weekends and need Frank to be healed!
I just checked Frank this morning and still no licking! It looks great! Not even a red spot today. All happy skin color!
I am being careful to focus the Wound Guard on the bare skin so he doesn't feel like his fur is dirty and want to lick that area clean.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just checked Frank this morning and still no licking! It looks great! Not even a red spot today. All happy skin color!
I am being careful to focus the Wound Guard on the bare skin so he doesn't feel like his fur is dirty and want to lick that area clean.
YAY for HAPPY SKIN!!! That wound gard is doing it's job very, very well. Will have to remember this product for sure. :nod: So happy to see these great updates and kitty pictures. :cross: for Frank and Tom at the barn together! :vibes: