Cat licking wound, can't heal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mesacakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The wound tonight. It is "healed", just needs to avoid licking (will try again) until all the fur comes back! Still waiting for Wound Guard to arrive!
Yes Frank had a hard start to life. He was in bad shape when the Humane Society got him. He was adopted out but returned due to his high-maintenance cauliflower ears and poor litter habits. The St Louis feral cat rescue saved him from the gas chamber. He is a total ham and we love him despite his medical needs. He is king of the barn cats and loves his four adopted feral family members. (He is neutered.)
Sadly he seems to be adapting well to inside life too!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's such a character! These pictures have me smiling from ear to ear!

That's a great backstory too!

Maybe he could retire from the barn into the housecat life, and we could enjoy more of these fantastic pictures :).

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The wound tonight. It is "healed"
Sadly
That wound looks wonderful !!!! Yes - it is healing and I hope the Wound Guard comes today. :cross: Frank certainly is enjoying this time with you during his wound recovery.

He is a talker too!
Aw Frank does look so happy to be indoors with you and adjusting very well to this way of life. Who knows - might you change your mind about keeping inside. Regardless of what you decide, though, he is under your watchful eye even at the barn. He is really adorable, I think, with those ears. Special guy and so lucky too. :rub: :heart2:

Last edited:

missycab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Frank is so lovely! I think that the wound looks great, it has sealed, and only the hair remains to grow.

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a cat in a cone collar right now also, and it is the EXACT same one you got here in this pic - the purple transparent cone 
    I hate having to use it, but sometimes these guys just won't leave themselves alone!   Thanks for taking such good care of him!

mesacakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Frank playing with some twine. One of his favorite toys! I wish I could keep him! I have two rescued female cats 9-10 years old and front-declawed. One has some issues with random peeing in the house, mostly on soft things like pet beds, throw rugs, etc. but I am afraid adding another cat at her she would make her peeing problems worse. I am hoping one of the other girls at the barn will adopt him some day. Mine are 9 & 11 years old so it will be a few years before I can keep him at home. Until then he has a great barn home where he is King and I will take him home as needed for medical care.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Frank seems to be such a character! I am certain he would make an awesome house cat! He seems quite comfortable and at home in your house. 

Too bad about sending him back to the barn. I am not meaning to make you feel horrible about this.

Is there anyone who could provide him with a good home? I mean he looks so domesticated, and such a ham...

After all this time of being a 'house' cat, it seems kind of hard for me to consider him going back to the barn. I know he has a good life, but..he looks so content inside...

I know. None of my business. 

I thank you for helping him as much as you have and for providing him with a good place to live...

mesacakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he is such a character! Everyone loves him. I think he would do fine in a home. I have two cats & two dogs already. My cats would not be happy with him. They eat special food and are declawed... He is not. I am hoping one of the other girls at the barn will take him home. One has an elderly cat so doesn't want to stress him, another is considering the idea. Will see what happens if I can ever get him out of my basement! I think eventually he will end up a housecat but it might be another year or two. He is only around 6 years old.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Frank seems to act much younger than 6 yrs old. He is a big boy also. Reminds me of my guy. 

He would take to being a house cat immediately. He would love it! 

If he is around other cats in the barn, then he is already accustomed to sharing living spaces with other cats. 

I hope the person who is considering taking him home, follows through on this. 

Would you consider keeping him for a while, in your cellar? 

just a thought. The two of you seem to have bonded so well.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Mesacakes

Actually once the licking lessens, the fur grows back quite quickly. Besides the antibiotic injection did you deflea him?

mesacakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh! I was giving him T-shirt free time so he could clean and he jumped off my lap and got a few licks in again!! Once again, angry in the middle. Seriously just 3-5 licks before I got to him. I can't believe cats can cause so much damage do quickly! I put some bag balm on it and put the Ecollar on him again. Poor Frank!
And STILL the bitter spray has not arrived. It must be coming by turtles!!
So once again, another 5/7 days of scabbing before the fur will even have a chance at filling in. I will have to take him back to the barn while I am out of town in a few weeks. I really hope the spray arrives & works!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fortunately it's not as bad looking as last time.

Where in the world could the spray be? The turtles must have stopped to sunbathe somewhere! Seriously, can you track your package?

Poor Frank! He's going to have to keep his clothes on. Those tongues are like sandpaper!

Maybe he is secretly plotting a way to remain as your guest in the house :).

But I know it must be frustrating ...

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
If you ordered the bitter age spray on line, I would call the 800 number and check on it. 

Amazon has been terrible with shipping lately.

I have found Chewy very good and fast. 

Maybe you could cancel the order and an re-order from Chewy. I have been ordering food and probiotics from them. I receive the order within a few days of ordering...less than a week. 

I too agree with sarthur2! I think Frank is conniving to stay in your house. He knows a good thing when he has it.  

Last edited:

mesacakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks I have never heard of Chewy. Will look into it.
I ordered from a store site - Pet Shed? They shipped it the next day Aug 16th. I don't know what the problem is! USPS I am guessing. Hope it comes today.
I am a Prime member on Amazon so ordered something that will be here Wednesday. It has mixed reviews but maybe will work.
The weather is beautiful this week. I wish Frank could go back to enjoy this weather! It has been 5-6 weeks now. Ridiculous!

mesacakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now Aug 26 & still no bitter spray! Unbelievable!!
I checked my Amazon order and it had not even shipped and was estimated for Monday. I cancelled that order and put in a different one for Friday. Still nothing from Pet Shed that said 6-10 days ( probably business days).
Meanwhile Frank is in hog (cat) heaven and I believe has secret contacts at all postal services to delay his return to the barn!

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be  karma is working.. I mean, Frank loves being in your house.....You have taken to him......

there is such a delay in the shipment of bitter apple spray...soo...

I kind of think it would be a shame, a major shock to Frank when he has to go back to the barn. He has taken so easily and so well at being a house cat. I would be feeling bad for him, if he was back in the barn. 

He seems to be content to be an indoor cat...and such a character at that...he seems really loving ....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Frank is a very wise cat to use his connections to his advantage ;). Can't say I blame him!

I am thoroughly enjoying Frank pictures and updates. I think Frank is extremely unique, and I'll miss the updates if he has to go back to the barn. I agree - he's in "hog" heaven right now [emoji]128022[/emoji]!

mesacakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he is spoiled rotten here in my house. He loves it! I do think he is a bit lonely.
I really don't need my 11 year old Bree kitty peeing on my carpet and furniture again though. It is best to keep her home stress free and so Frank can't stay. My other cat Polo might be ok with him but it would stress the girls out and I have to keep their happiness in mind!
Here is Bree in her new princess bed. She is 11-12 and overweight from years of steroids for her Irritable Bowl Disease. She had liquid #2 until the vets got her properly diagnosed.