Cat Licking The Air?

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has been doing this strange "air licking" behavior a few times now. She'll put her face upward and lick, lick, lick but she hasn't just eaten or anything. It's not like times when she's about to vomit either.

I thought I read somewhere about a metabolic or kidney problem but she just had bloodwork done and the only thing that was a slight issue was her pancreatic enzymes were only slightly elevated.

This behavior only started about 2 months ago. Like I said, she's been to the vet since then.

Anyone else's cat do this or what could it be from?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I've heard of cats doing that when being scratched/petted, particularly near their back ends. But, just randomly with no other activity going on - not so much.

It could be nothing, but since it only recently started, it probably means something like a health condition - such as: dental pain, gastrointestinal discomfort, seizures, or some sort of cognitive dysfunction. Or, it still could be a form of nausea but she has nothing to throw up.

It does seem like it could be tied to the elevated pancreatic enzymes, given that can also cause gastro issues and nausea.

Did the vet want to retest in the near future, and did they give any advice for a dietary changes, etc?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did the vet want to retest in the near future, and did they give any advice for a dietary changes, etc?
The vet mentioned a bland diet if she was showing signs of discomfort which she is not. So I've kept her on her usual diet. Her appetite has been fine. We were just playing. :runningcat:

The licking behavior stopped again. It's only intermittent. I'll keep an eye on her. I usually keep a close eye on her anyways. She's my favorite thing to look at :happycat: