Cat licking face and face cream (salicylic acid)

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, my cat likes to lick my face. It’s very cute but I also worry about face cream that I might have put on. I usually discourage face licking for a couple hours after I’ve applied face cream but I’m wondering if all the face cream really absorbs into my face.

Like I usually use this one that has sunscreen in it, But last night I used one with salicylic acid and she licked my face once before I remembered and removed my face. I mean it was last night so hopefully most of it was rubbed off and/or absorbed but now I’m worried because you read bad things about cats and salicylic acid. The face cream was only 1% salicylic acid and she only got one lick in.

Basically should I be worried about the fact that she licked my face that might’ve had salicylic acid still on it ? And should I not let her lick my face even when I have let face cream soak in?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My initial thought is since she only licked your face once there is no harm. However, it would probably be best to discourage further behavior to be safe. I thought this article might have some helpful information for you:
My Pet Licks Lotion Off Me. Is This Safe?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mean it also had time to absorb into my face. Like at least 8 hours. And I also sleep on my face so hopefully anything that wasn’t absorbed was rubbed off. I just worry about my kitty too much. Most people wouldn’t give a second thought to their cat licking their face 8 hours after they put face cream on 😅

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And I read that article. Luckily the face cream I usually use apparently only causes gastrointestinal upset (It has sunscreen in it) but I’m mostly worried about the one I used last night with salicylic acid 😅 I’m just a worry wart.