CAT LICKED STITCHES AFTER NEUTER

becca1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My cat was neutered on Thursday and has been wearing a collar since. I went into the room she was staying in and she had managed to get her collar off and had been licking her stitches! They have come out slightly but i’m unsure and a bit worried about the damage she may have done! Unfortunately can’t get her to a vet until Monday and the emergency vet will charge me £200 just for an appointment if i get one this weekend!! Does anyone know if this looks bad? Should i get her to a vet? I have put the collar back on and tightened it so hopefully she cant do this again! It doesnt seem to be bleeding but looks a bit damp and sore! If anyone has any advice that would be amazing!

Attachments

Anne Valentine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girl did the same thing. It often looks worse than it is.
I would call a vet for farther advice and for sure get your cat in to be seen asap though you'll want to keep the wound clean.

Some antibiotic ointment on a nonstick pad. Make sure the ointment doesn't have any kind of pain killer in it. You'll need to wrap more gauze around you cat to keep the pad in place. Try to cover the edges so no litter or anything gets in. Keep an eye on her as well. She should be fine until Monday.

Anne Valentine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looking damp and sore is because of irritation.
Hopefully someone my experiences comes along soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

becca1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girl did the same thing. It often looks worse than it is.
I would call a vet for farther advice and for sure get your cat in to be seen asap though you'll want to keep the wound clean.

Some antibiotic ointment on a nonstick pad. Make sure the ointment doesn't have any kind of pain killer in it. You'll need to wrap more gauze around you cat to keep the pad in place. Try to cover the edges so no litter or anything gets in. Keep an eye on her as well. She should be fine until Monday.
Thank you so much! That’s a great help! I did call the emergency vet and she said to try cover it over which i’m going to do! Luckily the stitches are still there just slightly out of place which the vet said may still be keeping it somewhat together, just to look out for any leakage or smells which could indicate an infection! Thank you again, i’ll definitely call the vets early Monday morning and have her booked in to get it checked!