Cat Lethargic And Licking Lips

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone.
I've got an appointment for my 4 year old male cat on Wednesday, but I wonder if he needs to go sooner.
I noticed him throw up (mostly digested food) a few days ago. Yesterday, I caught him 'dry heaving' outside but no vomit. Since yesterday, he seems sleepier than normal. He slept through the whole night without waking us (Which he almost never does) and when I got up this morning, he skipped our daily ritual of a short walk to the mailbox ending with him demanding a massage.
I also noticed he's been licking his lips pretty frequently, and when he's sitting (not sleeping) I've caught him in this position a few times.
Any advice?
Like I said I have an apt Wednesday, but don't want to wait if he should be seen sooner.
Also, I think his breathing his more dramatic, not necessarily faster but a big rise and fall of his chest. (I checked and he's between 30-40 breaths per minute)

Thanks for all the help :)
Here's a picture of his hunching posture

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is he still eating, or is he shunning his food? Licking his lips is a sign of nausea, so I'm thinking he's probably not eating.

If I were you, and particularly if he is NOT eating, I would try to get him in to be seen earlier, today if possible. He may have gotten into something he shouldn't have.

PollyJ

10 year old cat
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, not eating all can lead to some other serious issues. We are dealing with that now. But think positive, cause it could be nothing but some minor issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens It's hard to tell about the eating for sure. He's one of those cats that eats lightly- period. He'll go 2 days eating really light, and then clean his whole plate the next day.
I watched him this morning and he ate almost half his portion of wet food and followed that with a little kibble. So it seemed ok. He seems like he's a little sleepier than normal, but this is a cat who could win a medal if sleeping was a contest.
He's not withdrawn, as I would think a sick cat might hide or stay away from their humans.
I was able to touch and pet him, and he was happy for it, let me rub his back and tummy and head. (He doesn't seem bothered or pained by touch) But then he rolled over and nibbled on some grass.

I just remembered, as this is very much worth mentioning, I got some new kibble last week, and was trying to slowly integrate it into his food. Perhaps this is the problem and it's nothing more than the changing/introducing of new kibble?
I'd hate to overreact and rush him to the vet for an emergency visit, but don't want to neglect him either by underreacting.
:(

Thanks for the replies

PollyJ

10 year old cat
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat I mentioned in my earlier post was taken to an Urgent Care Vet office. Last week our other cat went to our regular Vet for a check up for seizures. He told us to always introduce any food changes very slowly, meaning a few grains at a time to what they are use to, slowly adding more each day.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely remove the new kibble completely from his diet. See if he goes back to normal. It may take a few days for his stomach to 'reset'. But keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't get worse instead of better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your responses. I always try to introduce new kibble super slow, but I think my boyfriend may have overdone it. Now that I'm replaying the whole week in my mind, I do recall coming home to see the kibble bowl full of only new kibble at one point (and boy did he get a scolding!)
I will eliminate the new food completely and monitor his health and behavior. If it gets any worse at all, I'll take him in immediately rather than wait until Wednesday.
I appreciate everyone's responses tremendously, Thank You!