Cat Lethargic And Fever 1 Week After Distemper Booster

jms0104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 14 yr old Ragdoll Spanky is feverish (104), cranky, not eating or using the litter box, over a week after his distemper booster. The vets are doubting this is caused by the vaccine, but I think it must be likely considering he was fine prior. We've had blood work, which looked fine and sub q fluids twice. next step is x rays and ultra sounds. We've canceled a vacation due to this and are at a loss with how to treat.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry this has happened. The timing is definitely suspicious and even if it isn't the direct cause it may have lowered his immune systems just enough for something dormant to become noticeable. I would see a second vet for a second opinion. Fresh eyes and a different perspective can sometimes notice something that was missed.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
May I ask if you are currently syringe feeding, since you say he isn't eating? This is very important, if he isn't eating at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jms0104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
May I ask if you are currently syringe feeding, since you say he isn't eating? This is very important, if he isn't eating at all.
Yes, been syringe feeding 2-3 times a day. Today, will go and get some high calorie recovery food. thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jms0104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Been syringe feeding for the past couple days with high calorie cat food and have seen improvements. We went to another vet today who immediately said that he NEVER would have vaccinated a 14-yr old cat with the 3 in 1 distemper booster and would have not even done it if we had asked. We are switching to this vet. The fact that there does not seem to be consensus amongst the veterinarian community regarding vaccinations in older cats, is disturbing and almost cost my cat his life. This is the last vaccination either of my cats will receive.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And that part of it slipped right by me. I would have questioned it. I'm so glad that you have found a vet that you can trust. Oh, dear God, the horror stories I have heard here about vets who ought to have known better!

Since you have found a new vet, I'm going to suggest a couple of articles that will help you with visits, knowing what to look for, knowing what questions to ask. I know that seems basic, but sometimes basic is great!

How To Talk To Your Vet
Cat Vet Checkup - What To Expect

Personally, I only vaccinate Hekitty for rabies (she is indoor only), and that is required by law and by my apartment complex, but I insist on a non-adjuvanated vaccine, which is far, far safer in my opinion.

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are switching to this vet. The fact that there does not seem to be consensus amongst the veterinarian community regarding vaccinations in older cats, is disturbing
Agree. I am very hesitant about what to do with my 10-year-old Turbo and his vaccinations. Do tell us if your new vet has more to say about it-

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just took my kitten of 14 weeks old for his first distemper shot and deworming, with fecal test, only for $49. It was done at Tracter Supply Store. Vets go there every week to vaccinate cats and dogs at reasonable prices. They recommended monthly deworming and distemper shots up to 3 months. Then yearly boosters. I will stop at the year. My cat has ZERO outdoor exposure.