Cat laying in litter box

andys1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, all! My seven-month-old kitten started laying down tonight in his litter box. When I looked online, I got results that ranged from deadly stomach issues to anxiety.

However, earlier today I cleaned his litter box - washed the walls and changed the litter. Is he just doing this to mark his territory since it probably doesn't smell a lot like him? Or, should I be more concerned?

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry as long as he's going to the toilet ok and acting normally, otherwise.

missalyi

@sirWallace_theCat
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten (5 months) has started doing this as well... I found it rather strange and also Googled (how I found this forum) and also found many concerning results come up. The one I liked the best, and am hoping is the case, was that when teething they may do this to cope with the discomfort or pain. Luckily he has a very appointment already booked for Thursday, so I plan and asking and will report back!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is he the only kitty in the house? If so, and he's eating, drinking, peeing, pooping OK, then I probably wouldn't worry.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess I'd have just one other thought, to keep an eye out to make sure he's not also eating some litter.

Princesscupcake

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My roommate recently bought a cat and for some reason it’s peeing on my clothes when I am not the owner. At first, I thought it was because the cat thought I was the owner because I am in the room more often then my roommate or the cat likes me more. Shouldn’t the cat pee on my roomates Clothes not mine. how do I make the cat stop peeing on my stuff. My roomate sometimes cleans the litterbox but doesn’t add a lot back, so maybe it’s a litterbox problem. How can the cat pee on my stuff then sleep on my bed.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just watch the pee clumps, make sure they don't get really small, that could mean a UTI.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Princesscupcake,

Going outside if the litter box is either a medical issue (pain, infection) or behavioral (territorial insecurity, stress, etc).

I always take the cat to the vet first to assess any medical cause.

If it isn't medical then it is driven by something causing the behavioral issue. Usually when a cat pees outside it is suggesting insecurity (it is like yelling "I OWN THIS") or stress.

So I do a couple of things.

I step up play with the cat. Especially in areas where the cat is going. After a really good play session feed either treats or a meal. This replicates the instinct in the wild of "Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat" and builds a lot of confidence. Also, I like to add scratching posts near the area so the cat can get their scent on something and "own" that territory more. Also, cat tree again to own and go high in the world as height builds confidence and security. Finally, be as calm and confident around the cat as possible. Cats take on our emotions so the less stressed we are the less stressed they will be and the more confident we are the more they will be. They will feel more secure and therefore feel less of a need to "Act out".

Also, you may want to add a litter box near where she is going so that is an option.

Also, you want to make sure you clean the things and area properly with an enzymatic cleaner. Here is a link to help on that: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-remove-cat-urine

Also, never yell at a cat as that only causes more stress and causing more bad behavior. Just calmly clean up after the cat and act like nothing is wrong.

I am happy to help with this situation. A cat's instinct is to cover their scent and use the litter box so this should be easy to correct. I also sent you a private message to have full attention to your situation. If you want to start a new thread let me know and I can help on that so everyone can benefit if they need help as it is open to all.

Don't worry, we can end this behavior.

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:yeah:
My roommate recently bought a cat and for some reason it’s peeing on my clothes when I am not the owner. At first, I thought it was because the cat thought I was the owner because I am in the room more often then my roommate or the cat likes me more. Shouldn’t the cat pee on my roomates Clothes not mine. how do I make the cat stop peeing on my stuff. My roomate sometimes cleans the litterbox but doesn’t add a lot back, so maybe it’s a litterbox problem. How can the cat pee on my stuff then sleep on my bed.
Your suspission of kitty not liking the litter box is also a possibility. Maybe it’s not clean enough, maybe kitty doesn’t like the litter, so talk to your roommate about it. ;)