Cat/Kitten Travel Advice

amoqbel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! :) I live in Bahrain with my two adorable cats, Leo who is a 6-year-old Himalayan, and Kitten who is a 5-month-old ragdoll (yes, his name is Kitten and he is a kitten lol). It has recently come up that I need to be away from home for 8-12 weeks. I'll be going to Jordan and will be flying on Gulf Air. This trip is unavoidable and I must go. I've been in crazy mode ever since in regards to what to do with my fur babies. I have two options and I'm hoping someone on the site can give me their thoughts/help.

Option 1 would be to leave the cats home and have someone check in on them, every day, morning and evening, for feeding/playtime/litter change. The pro would be that they wouldn't leave their home, the con is I would be constantly worried if they're okay since they're not constantly supervised. I would put away all potential dangers (plants, large furniture, glass decor, etc) However, I can't help but stress that it's not enough.

Option 2 would be to take them with me on the 3-hour flight. The pro would be that they'll be with me during the whole trip, the con is no airline going from Bahrain to Jordan will let me take them in the cabin (so it would be 3 hours for them in the cargo hold). I'm fully aware of what needs to be done for travel and my cats have been vaccinated and microchipped so that's been done. I'm also aware of the negative stories of pets traveling in cargo, and it goes without saying, I don't want the worst to happen.

An option I know about but won't do is take them to a pet hotel. I've had a horrible experience where my cat ending up with ringworm. Unfortunately, we have about 2 boarding facilities here on the island, both not great.

I'm so veryyy stressed up about this haha. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks! :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would choose Option 1. Cats don’t enjoy strange places and I would be very concerned about them being in cargo, especially in hot weather. At home with a reliable sitter is best and safest for them. Perhaps you could set up a video cam or two to keep an eye on them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amoqbel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply! The video cam idea is a good one :happycat:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
No cabin, no cat airplane trip. I have only ever flown animals in cabin including current dog when he was a puppy. I agree that leaving them safely at home is for the best.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I flew my cat from the UK to California in the cargo bay. It wasn't pleasant, but it was our only option. It won't be hot in a cargo until the doors are opened for loading and unloading. Cargo bays are pressurized with the same cooled or heated air as the passenger cabin and the air temps at cruising altitude is very, very cold.

I think I'd rather put together a well appointed carrier and take a three hour flight with my cat than leave her alone for 8 weeks, but only you can decide what's best.