Cat keeps meowing like she's in heat

irenepaark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I got my cat spayed on 4/22/2020 and she's still meowing like crazy as if she's still in heat! She makes it hard for my family to sleep at night :( She doesn't seem to be in any pain, does not roll around, and very rarely sticks her rear up. But she meows non-stop when she is awake!! I'd prefer not to go to the vet again as money is super tight right now during this pandemic, but does anyone have any ideas as to why she's doing this? Maybe any recommendations? If it helps, she is 3 years old and a mother. Her last kitten is 3 months old now though.

Thank you so much and hope you all are safe and healthy!

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When did the constant meowing start? She’s always done it, or it’s more pronounced since her surgery? How often is she fed? Does she get much play time, and are there any other cats that hang around outside?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes, a spay surgery isn't "complete", meaning that there may be some remaining reproductive tissue that was accidentally not removed (called ovarian remnant syndrome). In cases like those, she would be unable to get pregnant, but there is still some hormone production, causing her to cycle.

I don't know if this is the case with your cat, but it is something that I know can happen (and in fact, one of my coworkers cats had an 'incomplete' spay). My advice would be to call your vet and explain what is going on and ask for their advice. In the case of my coworker's cat, the vet who did the spay originally did the "re-spay" for free.

Here are some articles about ovarian remnant syndrome in cats (the first two are pretty technical, the third is more general)

Ovarian Remnant Syndrome

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...and-treatment-of-ovarian-remnant-syndrome.pdf

Ovarian Remnant Syndrome in Cats

Again, I can't be sure that this is what is causing her meowing, especially since she doesn't sound like she is showing other signs of being in heat. I would recommend calling your vet to see what they think.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to ovarian remnant syndrome, she just may still have hormones in her system. It's only been 30 days since the surgery, so wait two more weeks to see if she calms down. If she doesn't, then take her in.