Cat keeps injuring himself with aggressive scratching

shmecky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I now feed my cats dry with Taste of the wild Prey turkey and Gather Chicken. I use only chicken or turkey single ingredient wet foods from Applaws, Almo, or Purebites. She isn't so keen on the Vital Pork anymore, but she loved them for a couple months while she healed.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
single ingredient wet foods from Applaws, Almo, or Purebites.
Just to mention, the Applaws and Purebites single ingredient foods are treats and not considered nutritionally complete. Both those brands and the Almo have nutritionally complete foods, --in case someone is considering feeding the Applaws or the Purebites without the dry food component in a cat's daily diet :).

shmecky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, thank you! They are great snacks and wet additions to their dry complete diet, especially when you need complete control of ingredients.

shmecky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll attach her before and after pics. Here's a post I wrote on a different social...

It started with a crusty ear back at the end of June 2022. Over the past months, Amber's also torn up her hocks and front paws. She's been itchy and miserable, in pain and hiding. She's had multiple vet visits and steroid and antibiotic shots. She was on prescription allergy food for 6 weeks with no improvement, so I got her on the 4 month wait-list for the dermatologist, and I did some googling. I found 5strands and learned all the things her gut was reacting to. I would have spent thousands at the vet and this hair test was less than $100. I went on a deep dive with cat food ingredients and found Vital Essentials Pork patties. They don't contain any of her allergens and she loved them. I had to hand feed her for a couple days, and now, she is back!!! Her ear and paws are healing and she is no longer in pain. I'm sharing Amber's results because so many of our pets struggle with itchy spots and paws. Happy to share more if you need more details... I'm thrilled to have my cat back!
She now eats the dry complete foods from Taste of the Wild Prey turkey and Gather chicken, and wet single ingredient food and snacks. I picked these based on her specific allergies, they may not be right for every cat.

Attachments

Domino's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes!!! I used Amber's 5strands results to find new dry and wet food. I really think those results saved her life! Here's a post I wrote about it, with pictures.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I don't see the post?
My test kit is arriving this week. Hope to figure out what my cat's body is reacting to!

Domino's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll attach her before and after pics. Here's a post I wrote on a different social...
Oops, sorry, I see it now! Your post didn't show up for me until I posted! Still new here...

My cat has had poop reactions, not itching. And the vet has no idea why, just suggesting it's due to raw. Anyway, hope to get to the bottom of it, as my own elimination trials have been loose and time-consuming to keep track of....

shmecky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oops, sorry, I see it now! Your post didn't show up for me until I posted! Still new here...

My cat has had poop reactions, not itching. And the vet has no idea why, just suggesting it's due to raw. Anyway, hope to get to the bottom of it, as my own elimination trials have been loose and time-consuming to keep track of....
Yah I get it. Amber has had loose stool a lot in her life. Getting her diet dialed in has totally helped her poop firm up too! Good luck!