Cat Keeps Hiding And Climbing Inside My Box Spring.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So my 9 month kitten has always being a scared cat. I think I may have done some damage myself since the first week I got her she got very sick and I had to wash her twice a day to prevent skin infection from her diarrhea on her skin.

Since she usually is pretty happy around me, but will run away from everyone else. She usually hides underneath my bed. Which is fine and so.

Lately though she's being hiding underneath the bed whenever I'm not at home, can tell from cameras, and I'm worried that she's spending 8+ hours a day hiding underneath a bed.

Also now she's clawed her way through the bottom of my box spring, and hides there frequently. I'm worried since a few months before I got her, 8 months ago, I sprayed the inside with Cimexa cause I thought I had bedbugs. Hence why she is able to easily climb into my bed. I tried stapling papers at holes in the box spring, but she claws in every time. The cimexa should be safe for pets, but I still rather not her being around the remains.

So I tried blocking the bottom of my bed with various stuff, from scratching posts, to boxes with weights. But every-time she manages to claw her weigh in and I'll see her either hiding at the edge of the bed, or hanging on the cloth that isn't ripped off inside my box spring...which is where she is right now as I type: Arlo Smart Home Security Cameras | Home Monitoring | Arlo by NETGEAR

Kind of hard to see, but she's where the cloth is hanging down a bit...

It's really frustrating at this point. Was thinking of either completely cutting the cloth so she has no weight to sit on the cloth, or buying wooden shelves to completely block the bottom of my bed. Which I know would cut off one of her hiding spaces, but IDK.

Thoughts?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a kitten claw into a box spring maybe 20 years ago. I mostly just ignored it but didn't have your Cimexa issue.

Solution 1: beds are just as comfortable to sleep on if the box spring is directly on the floor -- i.e. you can skip the frame, it doesn't matter for sleeping. It looks hobo, and its not great for the random other things we do on a bed (including intimacy) but it *is* a solution if your worried enough.

Solution 2: skip the box spring:

Do you really need a box spring under your mattress?
Most new mattresses don't need a box spring for the sake of comfort, but many modern mattress warranties still require a box spring! ... All you need is a hard, flat surface to set the mattress on. This could be an adjustable base, platform bed, box spring, or even a hardwood floor.
Do I Need a Box Spring With My Mattress? - US Mattress
Do I Need a Box Spring With My Mattress?

Of course, the bigger issue here is that your kitty may have a confidence problem. I'll leave that one to others since I got rambly having had the same issue as you years ago...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a kitten claw into a box spring maybe 20 years ago. I mostly just ignored it but didn't have your Cimexa issue.

Solution 1: beds are just as comfortable to sleep on if the box spring is directly on the floor -- i.e. you can skip the frame, it doesn't matter for sleeping. It looks hobo, and its not great for the random other things we do on a bed (including intimacy) but it *is* a solution if your worried enough.

Solution 2: skip the box spring:

Do you really need a box spring under your mattress?
Most new mattresses don't need a box spring for the sake of comfort, but many modern mattress warranties still require a box spring! ... All you need is a hard, flat surface to set the mattress on. This could be an adjustable base, platform bed, box spring, or even a hardwood floor.
Do I Need a Box Spring With My Mattress? - US Mattress
Do I Need a Box Spring With My Mattress?
Both have the problem that my bed is then lower, and my cat won't be able to climb onto her shelves or the window as easily.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DCbn4cHkbICnG7172

Tuxedo cat is the scared one.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow you've really got me remembering...I remember trying to pile up heavy college textbooks...Back OT I'm sure you'll get confidence building tips, something to work on for sure, but just saying don't think that will happen that quickly, and I don't really know other ways to block off the box spring. I do not recall solving the issue. Eventually got rid of that box spring, but only after my kitten had grown out of the habit.

You could possibly buy some thin particle board and nail it onto the foundation, but my concern would be that the cat would pick a different spot to work on and work a different way in. Still, would be cheap and easy enough to try.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try to figure out if the cimexa is harmful for her. And i dont think it is, but maybe check with the company that makes it?

As long as the cimexa will not hurt her i would not worry about her hiding under there when she feels the need. Especially if it is while you are gone during the day? mine sometimes prowl around while we are gone, but they sleep a good part of that time. Some of mine sleep in spurts, some sleep longer at one time. some out in the open, some like to hide when they sleep. I let them do what makes them comfortable. I dont think it will hurt her. Just make sure she comes out when you are home, and that she is eating, drinking, playing and using her litter box. :purr:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest having high places for her to jump on like shelves, or that exact little cubby square she’s sitting on in your picture! Sounds like as for as her territory, you’ve got that covered with heights and hidey holes.

Looks like you have another kitty, do that get along? Do you ever see her haranguing your kitten?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest having high places for her to jump on like shelves, or that exact little cubby square she’s sitting on in your picture! Sounds like as for as her territory, you’ve got that covered with heights and hidey holes.

Looks like you have another kitty, do that get along? Do you ever see her haranguing your kitten?
They get along fine, although the tiny kitten is just a foster I was watching from the rescue I got her from. I normally don't do this, but we have good relations and I'm doing them a favor. The bigger orange kitten is in a tent due to a few fractures on a back leg. So he is constantly winning and meowing, but I don't think he is bothering her that much.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe she likes lying on the cloth as it hangs under the box spring. Try getting a pet hammock or hammock-style cat window perch so she has something similar to lie on. I bought a pet hammock from this Etsy seller . There are many other sellers on Etsy with pet hammocks.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe she likes lying on the cloth as it hangs under the box spring. Try getting a pet hammock or hammock-style cat window perch so she has something similar to lie on. I bought a pet hammock from this Etsy seller . There are many other sellers on Etsy with pet hammocks.
She has something similar attached to the window.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OHmfCQkmSwDfu7TA2

I think she just wants to hide.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you close the bedroom door so your cat can't climb into the box spring when you're not home? If you have a studio, there's not much you can do besides blocking off access to under the bed short of getting a new bed frame that has drawers underneath or a platform type bed.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you close the bedroom door so your cat can't climb into the box spring when you're not home? If you have a studio, there's not much you can do besides blocking off access to under the bed short of getting a new bed frame that has drawers underneath or a platform type bed.
I could but she likes hanging out in my bedroom. There's a window where she has a nice view of outside with animals. Although my cat tree is in there, there's not much sleeping stuff in my living room I guess. I'm just hoping the new planks will work.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is this the same kitten that recently broke its leg?
No he is still stuck in the tent, though it's approaching 4 weeks, and we're getting x-rays for him on wednesday, so hopefully he'll be all good by then.