cat keeps fighting?

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have 3 cats. one female and two males. female cat (elsa) is 4 years old and the male cats are (rio) 3 years old and (puma) almost 2 years old. all of them are fixed.

it's been few months, puma started fighting with elsa, i don't see any reason for him to fight with her. she doesn't even do anything and he suddenly starts fighting with her. he fights with her so bad that not only she gets injured, but he also gets injured. also when they start fighting, rio joins them too. and it's really hard to stop them

i've had puma since may last year. he was 4 months old and his paws were injured and he had other health problems. my mother and i took him to vet four times a week for seven months. he also had a surgery on his left paw so he can never walk properly again.

recently puma had a fight with elsa and elsa is okay but puma has so many scratches on his face. on his ears, near both of his eyes, his nose. i have no idea how to stop him from fighting with her. he also wants to sit wherever elsa sits and gets mad at her if she doesn't move. he wants to eat her food. he wants to play with her toys. he wants to use her litterbox.

puma was such a good cat but now he doesn't listen to anything at all. all 3 used to be best friends, really. but ever since puma's behavior changed, there's not one peaceful day in house.. what do i do?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The most common reasons for a change in behavior like this are:
- the attacking cat is in some sort of pain or ill and is taking it out on one of the other cats
- the cat being attacked is ill and the changes in her health is causing another cat to attack her
- something unusual inside or outside your house occurred shortly before the attacks started and is either continuing to occur or made a bad impression on the attacker which his reaction has now become a way of life in response to the (unknown as yet) cause
The first two may require you to have vet check ups done on one or both in order to at least rule those out as possibilities.

The latter is a matter of researching what was going on when the attacks started, e.g.; new cats/other animals in the area outside your home that is affecting the cat that attacks, new furniture/flooring/re-arranging furniture/new people in the home, medication changes in one of the humans in this home (or, maybe even one of the cats) - you can see the list can be quite extensive in terms of what you need to look for. These types of attacks can be labeled as a form of aggression, and I have included a link below to a TCS article that might not only help in trying to identify the cause, but possible ideas on how to stop it too. There are several links within this article that could be helpful as well.

You need to separate the cats until you find the source of the problem. And, it is likely you may have to do a form of re-introduction to get them beyond it. There is a link for that inside this article too.
Why Do Cats Attack? – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
The most common reasons for a change in behavior like this are:
- the attacking cat is in some sort of pain or ill and is taking it out on one of the other cats
- the cat being attacked is ill and the changes in her health is causing another cat to attack her
- something unusual inside or outside your house occurred shortly before the attacks started and is either continuing to occur or made a bad impression on the attacker which his reaction has now become a way of life in response to the (unknown as yet) cause
The first two may require you to have vet check ups done on one or both in order to at least rule those out as possibilities.

The latter is a matter of researching what was going on when the attacks started, e.g.; new cats/other animals in the area outside your home that is affecting the cat that attacks, new furniture/flooring/re-arranging furniture/new people in the home, medication changes in one of the humans in this home (or, maybe even one of the cats) - you can see the list can be quite extensive in terms of what you need to look for. These types of attacks can be labeled as a form of aggression, and I have included a link below to a TCS article that might not only help in trying to identify the cause, but possible ideas on how to stop it too. There are several links within this article that could be helpful as well.

You need to separate the cats until you find the source of the problem. And, it is likely you may have to do a form of re-introduction to get them beyond it. There is a link for that inside this article too.
Why Do Cats Attack? – TheCatSite Articles
thank you so much!

i feel stupid, i didn't even think that much of it - there's a stray cat that keeps coming inside our house! my cats don't seem to have a problem with him so i thought it should be okay. but i guess he's the reason puma gets annoyed. that cat is maybe less than a year old and he keeps ruining some stuff at home, i don't know how to stop him from coming. my neighbors are really nice and they feed cats outside but that stray cat just keeps coming, he even stays inside the house and it's hard to get him out. i asked around if anyone would adopt him but no one is interested.

i'm a student and i live in a small house right now with my parents so re-introducing my cats would be kind of hard but i will try it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but i guess he's the reason puma gets annoyed. that cat is maybe less than a year old and he keeps ruining some stuff at home, i don't know how to stop him from coming. my neighbors are really nice and they feed cats outside but that stray cat just keeps coming, he even stays inside the house and it's hard to get him out.
I would check the timing of these attacks against the times this other cat shows up, just to help determine if that might be the cause. If that were to be it, a re-introduction between your cats might not be the solution. You'd be better off trying an introduction process between this stray and Puma - not sure how that would work exactly, but you know the details surrounding all of this, so you might want to give it some thought.

If this stray is not fixed, that could definitely pose some issues. Ever considered adopting him as your 4th cat and then do the introduction process full scale?

Last edited:

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would check the timing of these attacks against the times this other cat shows up, just to help determine if that might be the cause. If that were to be that, a re-introduction between your cats might not be the solution. You'd be better off trying a introduction process between this stray and Puma - not sure how that would work exactly, but you know the details surrounding all of this, so you might want to give it some thought.

If this stray is not fixed, that could definitely pose some issues. Ever considered adopting him as your 4th cat and then do the introduction process full scale?
thank you! i'm gonna pay close attention to see if the fight starts when the stray cat is around

the stray is not fixed. i did think of adopting him but i don't think i will be able to afford another cat right now and my dad is already against cats so it will be hard. i'm going to ask my cousins tomorrow if any of their friends could adopt the cat. that's the only thing i can do for this cat right now. honestly, i would feel relieved if someone adopts him so he can have a home and wouldn't have to live on streets.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Low spay/neuter clinics might be an option to treat him as a TNR, if none of your cousins want to take him in. Maybe a few of you could pool your money together to make that happen.

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Low spay/neuter clinics might be an option to treat him as a TNR, if none of your cousins want to take him in. Maybe a few of you could pool your money together to make that happen.
yes! and i will also ask our vet. and thank you for the help, i really appreciate it!

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
update:
my mum decided that we will keep the stray cat and get him neutered. but the problem is, he has started spraying everywhere! and fights between elsa and puma are staring to increase

the stray cat left our house last week and everything was going back to normal but then he came back and now all my cats are not eating properly and not using litterbox, especially elsa. she's also not letting anyone pet her, she's not playing, she just keeps hissing and growling.
the stray cat is so comfortable that he's sleeping in my room while elsa is sleeping outside

so i'm not sure, what should i do? should i keep him or not? if i keep him, will it cause elsa to become more aggressive or depressed? i've asked around but no one wants to adopt him and he has so many scratches right now because he went outside so i'm taking care of him

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ideally, you would want to confine him to a room of his own (sounds like your room) - away from the other cats - in order to get him adjusted to your home first. Then, you would want to go through a series of introductory steps to help all of the cats adapt to the new situation. It is wise that he is separated from the other cats until you have a chance to have him checked over by your vet too.

Here are some TCS articles you may find helpful, although the first two may not be as applicable since he is already sleeping in your room.
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ideally, you would want to confine him to a room of his own (sounds like your room) - away from the other cats - in order to get him adjusted to your home first. Then, you would want to go through a series of introductory steps to help all of the cats adapt to the new situation. It is wise that he is separated from the other cats until you have a chance to have him checked over by your vet too.

Here are some TCS articles you may find helpful, although the first two may not be as applicable since he is already sleeping in your room.
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
i don't think my room will work, my cats sleep here at night and the stray cat sleeps outside my room. do you think bathroom will work? there's two bathrooms in the house i live and no one uses the other one because of a problem so it's like empty. i can put a box there with food and water for the stray cat

my mum said that we're gonna get him fixed this week or next week so should i start the proper introduction after he gets fixed? also, it's not confirmed yet but we are also gonna go on like a vacation out of the city, later this month, for a week and i'm gonna take my cats but i'm gonna leave this stray cat at my cousin's house so i'm thinking of introducing him to my cats after we come back

i just hope everything works out and there aren't any problems in future

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is going to be a whole lot of changes to put this cat through in just a short period of time, but I guess you have to do what you have to do. The bathroom is OK for him - make up a bed for him too, perhaps with a blanket or something you have slept on - but hopefully you can take him out of the bathroom and maybe into your room for periods of time while the other cats are not in your room? And spend time with him in the bathroom too.

I would also get him used to your cousin during this time as well, if your cousin can spend some time with him in your presence, that would be great. Is it possible your cousin could stay in your home/your room while you are gone? Just one less change to make him go through.

And, yes it would probably be best if you wait to start introductions until all of these other changes have passed.

Hopefully, other members will come along soon and offer you some ideas and tips as well.

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is going to be a whole lot of changes to put this cat through in just a short period of time, but I guess you have to do what you have to do. The bathroom is OK for him - make up a bed for him too, perhaps with a blanket or something you have slept on - but hopefully you can take him out of the bathroom and maybe into your room for periods of time while the other cats are not in your room? And spend time with him in the bathroom too.

I would also get him used to your cousin during this time as well, if your cousin can spend some time with him in your presence, that would be great. Is it possible your cousin could stay in your home/your room while you are gone? Just one less change to make him go through.

And, yes it would probably be best if you wait to start introductions until all of these other changes have passed.

Hopefully, other members will come along soon and offer you some ideas and tips as well.
yes i will do all that, i will also put toys maybe so he can play when i'm studying or busy. i will also make sure he doesn't feel scared or lonely in the bathroom and i will let him come into my room for few minutes so he doesn't feel too uncomfortable. right now he's really scared and sleeping a lot because when he went out, two stray cats kept scaring him and stealing food i put outside for him

this cat knows my cousin because she comes here and stays for few days sometimes, but she can't stay here while i'm gone because she lives far and she's married

i'm actually really worried about elsa right now, will she be okay? because it seems like she just doesn't like other cats. she's been an angry cat ever since i got her, i found her on the street when she was about 2 months old and now she's almost 5 years old. everyone gives her so much love but she just growls at everyone because she gets angry easily. she's only comfortable around my other cat rio, he's one year younger than her and they mostly stay together

and thank you so much for the help! i really appreciate it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am hoping if Elsa is not around your new cat for a while, then she will settle down some. She can't hate all cats since she likes Rio. Was Puma still fighting with her when this new cat was gone last week? If not, then him being confined away from the others might help with that situation as well. How do Puma and Rio get along? Do all 3 of them sleep together in your room?

You've got to remember that things might improve a bit after the new cat is neutered. And, hopefully for now, him being confined from the others might enable the rest of them to relax some.

I still hope some other members who have taken in strays and take care of multiple cats will pipe in here soon. I am sure they can give you much better help than I can!

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am hoping if Elsa is not around your new cat for a while, then she will settle down some. She can't hate all cats since she likes Rio. Was Puma still fighting with her when this new cat was gone last week? If not, then him being confined away from the others might help with that situation as well. How do Puma and Rio get along? Do all 3 of them sleep together in your room?

You've got to remember that things might improve a bit after the new cat is neutered. And, hopefully for now, him being confined from the others might enable the rest of them to relax some.

I still hope some other members who have taken in strays and take care of multiple cats will pipe in here soon. I am sure they can give you much better help than I can!
Puma kept trying to fight with elsa even when the new cat was gone, even though elsa was staying away from him. puma and rio get along really well. Rio is friends with both elsa and puma, but Puma and elsa can't stay near each other at all. and yes, all 3 of them stay in my room at night, rio and puma sleep near my feet and elsa sleeps beside me.

yes, things really do get better after cats are fixed! my mum is gonna call the vet to talk about it and then we will take him there this week or next week. i hope he recovers quickly too.

i really didn't think that i will end up keeping the stray cat as my 4th cat, but i'm not complaining!

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe your cousin will fall in love with him??? :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:
my cousin loves cats and she loves him already, she has seen him before when she came here! it made me so happy!! but her husband doesn't really like cats

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
update :

i adopted the stray cat, named him Kai, got him neutered last friday but last night at 2:33 AM he suddenly passed away.. right in front of me. i don't know what happened and it hurts so much. i think he had a cold because he was sneezing a lot but we took him to vet 3 times and vet gave us medicines for that, my mum and i were taking good care of Kai but the way he suddenly passed away last night is heartbreaking and confusing.

my aunt is saying that he passed away because of neuter surgery but i don't know.. it was healing really well.

i'm really scared right now because after Kai passed away, now Rio keeps sneezing and has a little bit of runny nose, Elsa and Puma too, but Rio is sneezing the most. I'm so scared and i don't know what to do now because our vet isn't available til monday. Is it normal for cats to start sneezing when the weather suddenly gets too cold? weather here is changing everyday. it gets warm then gets cold again.
The house i live in is really cold but this isn't our first winter here and i don't remember if my cats ever sneezed like this in winter before