Cat just loves going behind my tv stands where all the cords are at

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an open TV stand where I keep various devices, including my modem, and my cat is obsessed with going behind it and messing around. He's got these mouse toys that he likes to throw around and chase. Normally him playing by himself is a good thing if he didn't find such a liking for this one, most inconvenient spot. For one I'm concerned that while he's messing around with the mouse toy he might pull on power cords and shock himself. The other thing is that once in a while he'll step on a power strip and turn off the power to the modem, which will cut off my internet right as I'm watching something streaming I'm really involved in or some other equally frustrating moment.

I've gone through some steps to try to discourage him from going back there. I'll take the mouse toys and throw it somewhere else where its safer for him to play, but he'll go grab it in his mouth and take it right back to this spot and start messing around again. If I really want to watch something uninterrupted I'll sometimes put him in a room and close the door (he doesn't seem to mind this too much but sometimes he does and he'll let me know, so I don't like to do it too much). I've taped down some cords and tried to find a place for the power strip where he's less likely to get to it (he's always going to get to it). I could swap out the power strip with one that has a switch less likely to be accidently turned off, but what I really want to do is discourage him from going back there in the first place. But at the moment he's pretty damn set on messing around at this spot. Any ideas?

Sophia_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand your frustration. My Sophia likes to knock her toys under my TV stand, except she’s too big to get behind it because of how close it is to the wall. I also have some aquariums which mean lots of plugs and power strips. I use one of these to protect her and keep them out of reach. It may be worth a try!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand your frustration. My Sophia likes to knock her toys under my TV stand, except she’s too big to get behind it because of how close it is to the wall. I also have some aquariums which mean lots of plugs and power strips. I use one of these to protect her and keep them out of reach. It may be worth a try!
Thanks, those do actually look like they'd be handy.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every cat I've ever had has chewed on cables at some point, either behind the monitor, behind the computer desk or behind the TV. I had one that pee'd on cables. Don't know why, but he did.

Anyway, apart from blocking devices like what Sophia_ Sophia_ linked, this is a cat training exercise like any other. You can at least greatly reduce the behavior with most cats, although eliminating it all together might be very difficult. I recommend a loud "no!" clapping your hands loudly, or similar. I do NOT recommend distraction because it will do nothing to extinguish the behavior and could even reinforce it, because you playing with the cat is something the cat likes.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with A ArtNJ giving this behavior attention will keep it going. A few years ago I broke my leg and couldn't chase Yoshi up and down the hall for a few months. One day Yoshi accidently stepped on the powerstrip and turned off everything. My Partner jumped up and chased him. Fun new game! Until she got a new powerstrip with an enclosed reset button and all the electric spaghetti safely wrapped it was game on. Yoshi would sit next to the TV stand until she noticed him and then go in the back, hit the switch, and she'd chase him. Stuck in my chair I just laughed and probably made the whole thing worse.

My partner finally started telling him "NO" before going back there and the fun was over. I don't think "NO" would have worked if she hadn't cat proofed the area.

Good Luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice ArtNJ and Hellenww. Yeah taking the mouse and throwing it somewhere else is definitely a fun game for him. Though getting the mouse out of that area has to be done, I think now I might start confiscating them. I tried clapping loudly and yelling "no" at him but he just just gave me a look like "try me" and keep at it, lol. I think the blocking device might get it so I can just leave him be, hopefully.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice ArtNJ and Hellenww. Yeah taking the mouse and throwing it somewhere else is definitely a fun game for him. Though getting the mouse out of that area has to be done, I think now I might start confiscating them. I tried clapping loudly and yelling "no" at him but he just just gave me a look like "try me" and keep at it, lol. I think the blocking device might get it so I can just leave him be, hopefully.
Ha! My kitty is also pretty defiant about a stern "NO." She knows what it means, and will turn toward me and meow in protest. And then try again when my head is turned.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have several cats that don't respond to hisses, "NOs", nor claps. They will stop if I make a nice, loud Bronx cheer. It's worth a try!