Cat Just Had A Severe Neurological Event

Jettpack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all.

I’ve had a lonnngggg 48 hours, almost lost my kitty Sunday night. I’m hoping someone has experienced something even close to this that may have ideas, I guess I’m just trying to settle my anxieties while I wait for his next doctor visit.

Sunday evening I came home and my cat didn’t come out from his napping space like usual so I checked on him. I found him laid out under the bed (his safe space) looking at me oddly and let out a tiny meow. I knew something was wrong so I pulled him out, he didn’t fight me at all. He just continued to lay there. I got his carrier and stuff ready and went back to him, he tried to stand and fell over and let out an awful, painful meow. Needless to say we went straight the the ER vet.

His blood pressure was dangerously high, weak pulse, low heart rate, low temperature, and pretty unresponsive by the time they had him in the back. His prognosis was poor, I had to say my goodbyes, no one was confident he would make it through the night.

Well, he did! Which is great and also scary. He’s home now after 2 nights, he’s walking a bit, can jump on the bed, drinking but he hasn’t eaten since the day it’s all happened. I’m watching him like a hawk and it’s driving me crazy. He lays there sort of listless but sometimes he will perk up and walk around, meow a bit, I’ll pet him and he will lay back into the same position. He’s a tiny bit shaky, like a shiver, he was like that in the hospital too.

All tests ran came back normal. His kidney values haven’t changed since his last check in March. His temp was the last thing to stabilize. They are saying maybe a stroke, mini stroke, vessel spasm in his brain, something that caused pressure build up, maybe a tumor would be that cause. He sees a neurologist on Thursday. MRI is up for discussion based on that.

He’s definitely not himself. I don’t even know if he will fully recover from whatever happened. I can’t imagine that he would be so soon after what just happened. He’s my little fighter and I’m so incredibly glad that my goodbye to him wasn’t the last, but Now I’m terrified of it happening again. I’m lucky enough to be in the middle of some time off so I can monitor him.

I know this is such a long post, I just needed to vent to someone, anyone, while I sit in this room staring at my best friend that I’m so afraid of losing. This episode happened out of the blue with no warning :(

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, all my thoughts and prayers to you!!

Can you hand feed him? Try having him lick some unseasoned ham or other meat baby food off your finger, he needs to eat. Try a popsicle stick, or syringe feed. Take a pate or mousse style food, add a little water so it can be worked in a needleless syringe. He really, really needs to eat.

There are other things in the posts here that you could tempt him with including kitten food, unflavored Pedialyte or kitten glop.
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry to both of you! He has got to eat - I would try anything and everything - all of his old favorites to start with. Then, whatever human food you can get him to try - even tuna (chicken, turkey). You can also try giving him baby food meats (no garlic/onions/etc.). Cheese and cottage cheese are another couple of things you can try.

I don't know why, but sometimes when a cat is reluctant to eat, they will do better when eating off of a paper plate - so try that too!

Sorry for any overlap with Furballsmom Furballsmom 's post, we were typing at the same time!

Keep us posted please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jettpack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the link, I’ll look at those suggestions and get on it. I’ve gotten him to eat a tablespoons worth of some non prescription food I keep on hand for when he gets finicky. Once my partner gets back today I’ll be making a trip out to grab some more random tasty foods he may be into.

He did get an appetite stimulant this morning so im really crossing my fingers that it kicks in.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The appetite stimulant is a great idea. So is trying all sorts of smelly foods.

The only thing I have to add is, has anyone checked his blood pressure since he has stabilized? Cats do get hypertension and there is treatment.

Sending major healing vibes to your kitty.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he does not go for the tasty treats, maybe try some Kitten Milk Replacement? Maybe try syringe feeding him if he doesn't drink it from a saucer?

Good luck and keep us informed. Hope he recovers 100%.

Jettpack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The appetite stimulant is a great idea. So is trying all sorts of smelly foods.

The only thing I have to add is, has anyone checked his blood pressure since he has stabilized? Cats do get hypertension and there is treatment.

Sending major healing vibes to your kitty.

Yes they monitored his BP up until he was discharged this morning and it’s been at a healthy level. When I first brought him in they thought he was suffering from a severe hypertensive episode, his BP was so high he was at risk for organ damage and blindness. Somehow he made it through that with no repercussions that we can tell. Since everything stabilized well they now believe it was a symptom of something else neurologically. He has a follow up BP check on Saturday.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck for your doctor visits; I hope there is something they can do for him. This is so upsetting - take care of yourself, too. And keep us posted.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
make your kitty chicken broth, with chicken legs and no other vegetables. Cook it until the chicken meat peels of the bone. They love the marrow in the chicken and it is healthy . it says cook for 6 hours, but you can cook it until the meat peices falls of the chicken bone. My cat used to eat the soup without carrots and celery added.

1. Put the bones in the pot – if there’s some meat on them, that’s perfectly fine. Add the carrot and celery to the pot – no need to cut them up.
  2. Fill the pot with water (filtered if preferred). Use just enough water to cover the bones – important to get the right consistency.
  3. Cover the pot and slowly simmer the chicken/turkey stock for about 6 hours on low heat

Jettpack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So far he’s eaten a couple tablespoons of food! I called the hospital and they said, minimum, he needs to take in 1TBS every 6-8hrs, so we are getting there. I got him lots of options to choose from, he’s been getting little food buffets so he can pick whatever he wants to eat. I’ll worry about his prescription food after this has passed.

He’s also WAY more active and alert than he was yesterday morning after bringing him home. He’s not laying around checked out anymore, and the shaking has stopped. Between the morning and evening it was a huge improvement!

It’s crazy seeing him bounce back like this after what happened.

Jettpack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok! We just wrapped up his Neurologist appointment and it’s pretty good news, considering.

He shows zero signs of any neurological damage and his vision is 100% back.

His blood pressure was at 280! That’s higher than it was when we rushed him in to the ER. So even though his BP stabilized at the hospital, they now are pretty sure that it was a stroke caused by hypertension, not hypertension caused by stroke, and stroke caused by something in his brain.

He gets two more BP checks over the next two days, then another in a week. He started BP meds and a blood thinner.

We are also going to have him see a cardiologist, a while back he was diagnosed with a mild, probably harmless, heart murmur but due to recent events it’s been recommended we have it checked out to be on the safe side.

It sounds like he will be ok now and the medication will manage everything and his risk of stroke again are very low! I’ve been so worried about traveling (I’m current in the middle of a 4 week vacation to backpack and hike) or even leaving the house for more than an hour, I’m happy to know it won’t always be like this and life will go back to normal for our little family.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they check his adrenal glands?
A disease of these glands might lead to BP spikes and a general trend to hypertension, and possible loss of sight, even if this latter may come back.