Cat just got spayed

Melisie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My kitty just came back from a spay, this is my first time with this experience and the poor thing urinated on herself on the way home in the crate. Its all over her back pays and sides and i'm not sure if it got onto her incision/stitches. Is there anything I can do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You can take several warm damp cloths, and wipe her down, using a fresh one as necessary as each one becomes soiled. Ask your vet if there's anything you need to do for cleaning the incision, and keep an eye on the area for any redness or swelling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Melisie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the reply! I tried wiping her down with a warm damp cloth but she wasn't a fan and I didn't want to disturb her too much she was still very much dopey from the anesthetics and sore. Wondering if I should use a dry bath for her feet and wait until she's healed to fully bathe her?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could do that, just be sure to watch the incision site :) if any redness or swelling occurs give your vet a shout.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At some point, she's going to get sleepy and I'd try to wipe her down again at that point.
If you have someone to help gently hold her down that will help. Just work fast. I'd stay away from the incision itself, but you shouldn't have any trouble wiping down all other areas. The vet should have given her a long term pain killer which is good for about 24 hours so you really don't have to worry about her feeling any pain by doing this. And it's much better to clean her up; leaving urine on her is unsanitary for not only her but you as well.