Cat just gave birth !

kekelotts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omgsh ! My cat has went outside once and came back pregnant! I didn’t know she was pregnant until a few weeks ago ! Well Rebecca is 12 months old . Anyway the kids must’ve let her out yesterday and last night she was on the porch with her babies 😭 I missed her giving birth and I had bought everything I thought she’d need . I’m 21 weeks pregnant and this situation with my cat is stressing me out . She has two kittens and I see that they’re trying to nurse but I don’t know if they’re actually eating . How do I know if she’s producing milk ? I also saw two small blood spots in her bed idk what that means . I can’t afford to take her or the babies to a vet . Can someone please help who has experience with a mom cat and kittens . I need to know what to look for

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kekelotts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omgsh ! My cat has went outside once and came back pregnant! I didn’t know she was pregnant until a few weeks ago ! Well Rebecca is 12 months old . Anyway the kids must’ve let her out yesterday and last night she was on the porch with her babies 😭 I missed her giving birth and I had bought everything I thought she’d need . I’m 21 weeks pregnant and this situation with my cat is stressing me out . She has two kittens and I see that they’re trying to nurse but I don’t know if they’re actually eating . How do I know if she’s producing milk ? I also saw two small blood spots in her bed idk what that means . I can’t afford to take her or the babies to a vet . Can someone please help who has experience with a mom cat and kittens . I need to know what to look for
404A9435-1220-469B-8664-527B8AA9197A.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s okay. Relax, but please bring your cat and her babies inside the house. They must not stay outside. Hopefully your mama cat is successfully nursing her babies, and you have nothing to worry over once they are inside until it’s time for weaning.

That’s in a few weeks and we are here for all your questions. Just make sure mama cat does not go outside again until she is spayed when her kittens are about 8 weeks old. She does not need to get pregnant agsin.

Congrats on YOUR pregnancy! Exciting times. Please let us know how we can help going forward.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, if you see the kittens nursing, then they are getting milk. You can weigh them on a kitchen scale daily to see their gains. They should gain 10 grams a day ideally.

The blood spots are normal. Cats spot after giving birth for 7–10 days. Just like human moms do as the uterus shrinks and heals. Your cat sounds just fine!
K kekelotts

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In the beginning you can weigh them every 12 hours till you are sure they are gaining.
weigtnibg is the easiest way for all whom arent very experienced.