Cat just gave birth, but half died

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say don't bother testing the kittens, just get mom tested and have the new owners get them tested at 6 months old. :)
Have you googled "low cost spay and neuter" "low cost vet" near me? You can also check out local rescues to see if they have a SNR program that offers reduced costs for spaying :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irenepaark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi my cat just gave birth to her second litter on March 1st. I was at work all day and when I came home I saw that two had already died. Three were breastfeeding and several hours later she gave birth to a runt. The runt we had to hand feed kitten formula several times and eventually it was able to breastfeed from the mom. Everything seemed okay for the four kittens but today when I came home I saw that one more had passed away. It wasn't even the runt and it was always breastfeeding and was one of the bigger kittens. I'm extremely heartbroken as none of the kittens from the first litter (total of 5) had any issues. I know of fading cat syndrome but I just didn't think it would ever happen to us. Is there anything I can do to prevent it? Is this common? Are all the kittens in the litter then prone to fading cat syndrome? I buried all three and I can't bear to do another.. I'm extremely emotional and I am so depressed over the whole ordeal. Anything would help, even kind words. Just thinking about those kittens in the cold dirt just makes me crazy. I want to be with them and watch them 24/7 but I work and go to school it's very hard. Please give me some advice or words of encouragement. Thank you a million times.
Hello,
I haven't posted for a while with all the craziness going on but I wanted to update! The two kittens that were left are growing well. They are super cute and starting to come outside of the room. My other cats always watch them and one of them I think acts as their mom at times! Tomorrow they will have been in the world for exactly one month and hopefully they will continue to grow big and beautiful. Thank you so much to everyone who has followed this thread and given me such kind words and intelligent advice! I hope everyone is safe and healthy. Also, this isn't cat related but tomorrow I have to put my dog of 15 years down.. I cannot stop crying and if anyone could please give me some good advice on what to do for her.. I would greatly appreciate it..

Thank you

irenepaark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd say don't bother testing the kittens, just get mom tested and have the new owners get them tested at 6 months old. :)
Have you googled "low cost spay and neuter" "low cost vet" near me? You can also check out local rescues to see if they have a SNR program that offers reduced costs for spaying :)
Hello,
Ok that sounds good to me! The mom cat is extremely hard to catch (doesn't even let me pet her for too long) so fingers crossed I will be able to take her with no problems.. And yes! I actually was able to find free spay/neutering for my cats. I just have to pay for medication. The mom cat unfortunately might not be free if she is in heat when I take her.

irenepaark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would you like any help finding a low cost spay clinic in your area for a few months from now?

I’m so sorry for all you've been through, and glad to hear the family is doing well now.
Hi sorry for the late reply! I was able to find a clinic for my family. :) Thank you so much for your offer :redheartpump:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for the up date I irenepaark I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. We have a forum where people post memorial threads for their lost pets. Mainly for cats, but dogs are welcome too. You could start a thread in your dog's memory and ask any questions you have there.

Crossing the Bridge

I'm glad to hear you've found a clinic that can spay and neuter all the cats. If the kittens are almost 1 month old now is the time to get the mother spayed. They get pregnant again very soon after having a litter, so there's no time to waste. If you can't pick her up a humane trap is probably the easiest and safest way to do this.

Does the clinic have traps you can borrow or rent? Are there any TNR groups in your area who could lend you one? I think Tractor Supply sells them if you can't get one anywhere else. If you need any advice on trapping please let us know. I've done TNR on lots of feral cats. The first time is always very daunting, but it gets easier with practice.

:)

We'd love to see some kitten pictures.

irenepaark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s wonderful! Have they already been fixed? How are they?
Hi, yes!! They have been fixed, but the girl seems to have symptoms of being in heat sometimes.. I'm not sure though she's only around 7 months. I have an appointment to spay the mom cat this upcoming Wednesday though :)

irenepaark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the up date I irenepaark I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. We have a forum where people post memorial threads for their lost pets. Mainly for cats, but dogs are welcome too. You could start a thread in your dog's memory and ask any questions you have there.

Crossing the Bridge

I'm glad to hear you've found a clinic that can spay and neuter all the cats. If the kittens are almost 1 month old now is the time to get the mother spayed. They get pregnant again very soon after having a litter, so there's no time to waste. If you can't pick her up a humane trap is probably the easiest and safest way to do this.

Does the clinic have traps you can borrow or rent? Are there any TNR groups in your area who could lend you one? I think Tractor Supply sells them if you can't get one anywhere else. If you need any advice on trapping please let us know. I've done TNR on lots of feral cats. The first time is always very daunting, but it gets easier with practice.

:)

We'd love to see some kitten pictures.
Yes, thank you so much!! She is going crazy with her heat now so I made her an appointment for her spay this upcoming Wednesday. I mistook it for the past Wednesday though but found a way to pick her up and put her in a cage that day! I just hope it works again.. However, I might need to take you up on your advice for trapping in the future, I have an outdoor cat who needs her shots again soon but is now very feral :(. I will attach photos of the two beautiful kittens who survived!! They are so so sweet and eat so well! Now I just need to find loving homes for them :)
Also, thank you so much for the part about my dog. I actually had to put her down right after I posted that message.. I wanted to take her on one last stroll but right when we got in the car she had a horrible seizure. I just picked up her ashes today. It was very hard for a while but I have found a great way to cope and find peace. Thank you so, so much. Hope you are safe and healthy during this time and forever!

Attachments