Cat Just Ate Two Egg Yolks... Should I Be Concerned?

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Long story short, I was making soemthig that only required two egg whites. I left ghe yolks in a bowl, and when my back was turned for a minute my cat inhaled them!

I do feed my cat eggs, cooked whites and raw yolks, but usually only once every other day, should i be concerned that he had so many in one sitting?

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats two raw egg yolks each every Sunday as part of their balanced raw diet. They are full of nutrition and help hairballs go through easier. Since your cat is used to eating one every other day, two egg yolks will probably be tolerated just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! that's good to know. I was a little afraid he was going to have explosive diarrhea or something....

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a tsp of yolk if I need to un-clog Krista, and 1/8 tsp in her meals. I can't imagine what a whole yolk (or two!) would do to her litterbox. Every cat is different!

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Raw egg whites aren't good for cats if fed regularly, but egg yolks are actually good for cats (raw or cooked.)

There are some potential issues with raw food and bacteria(which is why most vets recommend against raw feeding cats), but s long as you, your cat, and any other family members aren't immune compromised, it shouldn't be an issue for your cat to have eaten raw egg yolk this once.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the end he was peffectly fine, he seemed to have a lot more energy than usual? or maybe it was because i was monitoring him extra closely after that! all in all, yay!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More energy than usual? I'm not surprised, he was on a protein high. He'll remember this as one of his best days. He'll spend more time checking out bowls and the kitchen in general.

Note, just saw this thread would have agreed with others had I found it sooner. Really.