Cat Itching And Scratching

foreman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a middle aged cat named Sally. She recently has begun to show signs of itching and scratching along her back and neck. Doesn't seem to be really bad but it happens often enough. I read this is likely a food allergy.

She used to gobble down the cheaper purina cat food without complaint but would ask for wet food too. She has shown decreasing interest in her usual dry food, and her vomiting increased. I had bought her the expensive brand that is grain free but she would pretty much refuse to eat that.

I just bought her purina Sensitive Skin & Stomach Formula and that seemed to help for a bit. She threwup less. However a week and a half later she is being stubborn with eating her food and still itching. I bought her higher quality wet food too but she is iffy with that as well. She is acting otherwise healthy and strong but this is a point of concern.

Any tips from other owners with this problem? Would a more expensive brand of sensitive stomach food work?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foreman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also checked her for fleas, but she's clean.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The allergies don’t have to be to food. My Java used to scratch her neck open until she got allergy shots. She has all sorts of environmental allergies.

Also, I would make sure that she doesn’t have some other cause of vomiting, like inflammatory bowel disease, that needs to be treated. Has she seen a vet lately?

Good luck with Sally and let us know what happens.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can we take her being itchy as she also overgrooms from the itchiness? Because if she's overgrooming then she must be swallowing more hair than what she's use to which I believe might lead to hairball-related nausea, constipation, etc that leads to decreased appetite.

I would still take her to the vet to run a blood test to eliminate other health problems and a physical exam. I read apparently cats also scratch/overgroom out of stress too which could be the stress of another health problem. Not to panic you it might very well be allergies as well.

foreman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was advised by a vet that it is likely a food allergy. She's an indoor cat and there's been no environment changes. I have yet to find an affordable vet and "more tests" are out of my price range.

No signs of hairballs, in fast that's never been an issue with Sally. She would usually just throw up food from indigestion or eating too fast.

I am looking for suggestions on what to feed a picky eater cat.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's an indoor cat and there's been no environment changes.
As a woman who suffers from dust mite and cockroach allergies I can sadly say things get worse without anything visible. Like dust mite allergy gets worse when the weather is more humid or on fabric over time without any temperature change.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have yet to find an affordable vet and "more tests" are out of my price range.
I totally understand but all these foods you try might cost more expensive for you in the end. You said her vomiting increased and her appetite decreased. These are both symptoms of a health problem and no matter how many foods you try she might still not eat if the problem IS a health issue.

Anyway, as food suggestion for a picky eater, I suggest trying different textures too. Like if you tried chunky wet food, try pate/mousse texture wet food like Purina Gourmet Gold or Pro Plan Delicate cans or better Chicken | Naturea . If she has dental issues kibbles might be too hard, the softest kibble I know is Acana Wild Prairie.

foreman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news/bad news. Found a flea in my bed. I checked her more thoroughly and this time found a couple fleas... Weird as the last time she had them years ago they multiplied like crazy. Odd seeing so few. The good news is now I know the problem and ordered some flea medication.

A CatNamedFred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20190818_014259.jpg my buddy Fred here has had this open crater-like wound or sore getting progressively bigger and possibly deeper. He's been scratching more than usual but I'm not sure if it's at the wound or elsewhere. His hair is also thinning above his eye and had a few scabs within the thinning on his skin. He had ear mites when we first took him in as a stray but we got him all of his shots and the mites well taken care of. So I'm not sure if that recurred because there is no debris in the ear. I'm clueless as to anything that may have led him to this and was hoping someone could identify the problem. Thank you in advance

Attachments

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weird as the last time she had them years ago they multiplied like crazy. Odd seeing so few.
You probably caught them early. The flea treatment my Hima is on stopped being effective a week earlier than it's supposed to and she caught fleas from a new stray in the condo. I used Stronghold (USA name Revolution) the next day and only found like 5 big dead fleas but there were more very small ones. I only saw them (dead) because Hima spent the next two days mostly on her totally white bed. Hopefully the flea medicine you ordered will be effective enough :clover:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 296578 my buddy Fred here has had this open crater-like wound or sore getting progressively bigger and possibly deeper. He's been scratching more than usual but I'm not sure if it's at the wound or elsewhere. His hair is also thinning above his eye and had a few scabs within the thinning on his skin. He had ear mites when we first took him in as a stray but we got him all of his shots and the mites well taken care of. So I'm not sure if that recurred because there is no debris in the ear. I'm clueless as to anything that may have led him to this and was hoping someone could identify the problem. Thank you in advance
I'm sorry Fred is going through this! I think this has reached a vet visit is necessary level both for an exam and to get an antiseptic something.

Stronghold (USA name Revolution) takes care of both fleas and ear mites. At the vet clinic the vet can also clean inside the ears and exam.

If you can't take him to the vet today maybe you can send a picture and ask them which antiseptic would be OK to use there so it won't get infection (even more.)

foreman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sally is doing fine for the most part now. Still a finicky eater, but less vomiting. The 30 flea treatment hasn't seemed to work right as she still has fleas. Anyone encounter that before?

I tried capstar and that worked for a bit but it doesn't kill eggs, and she is still battling some fleas, but not a huge amount.

I'm not sure if I should try a different 30 flea treatment

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sally is doing fine for the most part now. Still a finicky eater, but less vomiting. The 30 flea treatment hasn't seemed to work right as she still has fleas. Anyone encounter that before?

I tried capstar and that worked for a bit but it doesn't kill eggs, and she is still battling some fleas, but not a huge amount.

I'm not sure if I should try a different 30 flea treatment
You should clean the house at least couple days a week. Especially with vacuuming.

What is “30 flea treatment”? If you used a flea treatment a month ago, you should use one again. As I’ve said before Stronghold from Zoetis works well for my cat.

Also since she has and had fleas, don’t neglect internal parasites as some of them are passed through fleas. Not necessarily but it is an option and maybe the reason why she vomits. If the cost is OK, you can get her stool tested. If not, discuss with the vet if Profender would be safe for her as that’s the one I know that treats most internal parasites. I would not recommend applying flea and dewormer medicines the same week. I do deworming a week after the flea.

foreman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
30 day flea treatment, an obvious typo. No need to be condescending. The 30 flea treatment didn't seem to work effectively with the month time period, not sure if it was the brand or if fleas can be immune to that kind of poison. Same issue on the 2nd month.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
30 day flea treatment, an obvious typo. No need to be condescending. The 30 flea treatment didn't seem to work effectively with the month time period, not sure if it was the brand or if fleas can be immune to that kind of poison. Same issue on the 2nd month.
I’m not being condescending, I don’t know a brand like that if it’s a brand name.