Cat isn't using bathroom...

cheetahcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Folks -

I was hoping that some of our more experienced members could provide some of their wise and sage guidance on this situation...

Over the last week or so I've notice that Jozi isn't going #2 very often...

And when she does go, it's small amounts about the size of of a tic-tac. A few times I've noticed a few of these "tic-tacs" on the wood floor in proximity to the bathroom. (They appear to have fallen off of her after she's departed the bathroom, which is where her litter box has always been.) Her normal size #2's are about the size of a thick cigarette, and usually she "goes" about twice per day.

She has kept her appetite. She does not appear to be in any kind of discomfort. She is not lethargic. She isn't hiding (as she does sometimes when she isn't feeling well.) About the only things that I can think of is that I changed, is her litter brand about a week ago. Also too, I gave her two Purina ProPlan Hairball Remedy treats about a week and half ago. (She loves them, and it's a treat I only give her about twice a year.) She eats her Fancy Feast Flaked Tuna and Mackerel with no problems; likewise with her Meow Mix Tuna & Shrimp. (She gets 1 can of each per day, 1 portion-pack in the morning and one in the evening.) She does not get dry food. Other than that, she had been getting Temptations Treats (Chicken Flavor) each day for years. She is still hounding me about getting some of them, but I've stopped in the last 2 days because she's isn't going to the bathroom.

Jozi is on 5mg Prednisolone daily, and has been for about 3 years now. Jozi is 15 years old, though one wouldn't notice it as she's much more active and sprite like a cat who is more like 10 years old.

I'm beginning to worry, despite the fact she doesn't appear to be in any intestinal comfort. She is going #1 just fine. She has a water fountain, and it is clean. She's been using it as normal, as well as going #1 as normal.

About the only thing else I've noticed that is unusual - only because it's more frequent than usual - is that she is "cleaning" her rear-end a bit more often...

I realize that the ultimate next-step would be to take her to her vet.

However, I was just wondering if any of our more experienced members have seen this before, and perhaps could provide some insight or tips...

Thanks, kindly!

CheetahCats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheetahcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Note too - as I forgot to mention in my OP, is that I've ceased giving her any Temptations treats over the last 2 1/2 days, out of concern of her present situation...

Thanks, again

CheetahCats

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, unless she is going somewhere else and you just haven't found out where, she must be very constipated be now. But you said she doesn't act like it, which after a week she should be. But leaving little "marbles" outside the box, and the extra licking are both signs. I'm just surprised she is still eating her normal amount.

When my guys get constipated, our Vet advises I give them Miralax (or a generic brand of same). 1/4 teaspoon dissolved in a little water then added to their wet food TWICE per day. Additionally, she says to give them Laxatone gel every day until they have a good bowel movement. And one cat is 9 lbs and the other is 15 lbs, so apparently their size doesn't matter when it comes to dosage and constipation.

Your girl has a fountain, but does she drink from it regularly? You might also try adding some extra water right into her wet food. I do this for my boys. Sometimes up to a Tablespoon (or more) per meal, depending on which food they are getting. Some pate's are pretty thick!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: I would definitely try the Miralax and Laxatone, but also look for other places she might be depositing her poop. She is 15 and on long term Prednisolone, so a vet check - if not recently - is a really good idea.

Have you had a conversation with the vet to see what they think and might suggest? I wouldn't wait a whole lot longer to get the vet involved.