Cat is vomiting out her food

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It does not happen occasionally, only sometimes. We already fed her as slow as we could - making her eat half can by half can. And she still eats her dry food and play around with her toys afterwards. Is she fine????? Or maybe she dislikes the food...or maybe the food has spoilt (in her opinion)... any ideas?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! When was the last time you had your baby in to the vet?

Is she long-haired and might have hairballs?

Have you tried a different brand of canned food?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she?

Does she spit up the whole meal? immediately? or sometime later?

Is this a recent development? or is it something that has been going on for a while?

Is there anything new in the environment? rugs? pillows? furniture? carpet cleaning?

As you can see, there are a lot of factors that need to be considered and ruled out. Vomiting meals is usually attributed to the food, but I've personally had experiences where it was due to other factors.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are you feeding her? It could be she's allergic to one or more of the ingredients. I had a cat who always threw up after eating anything with fish. What size can? A half of a 5oz can is a lot for one serving.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, we are feeding her 85g of canned food, chicken flavor. I noticed she doesn't finish her whole meal, maybe I have fed her too much? She's approximately 7 years (we adopted her half a year ago), 3kg, and she's our first furkid. According to my family, she ate and sometime later threw up. She visited the vet prolly 2 months ago when she got her vaccination. She's our baby and I do not want anything to happen to her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Does she get that meal of canned food once a day?
Try splitting the meal into two or three meals.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Something I've done is portion out the food which may help you. On Fridays I buy 3 of those $1.99 Freshpet treats like chicken and pumpkin etc. After I feed the cats I wash the containers out and portion each container for each cat each meal. So if I have 3 cats and serve 3 meals I have a total of 9 of those filled up in the morning with clean plates. I do this with either dry or wet although the wet I keep in my mini usb fridge. My cats oddly love food straight from the fridge whether it's summer or winter. This is just an idea and you can adjust accordingly by observation and what the vet suggests.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
... My cats oddly love food straight from the fridge whether it's summer or winter.
"Oddly"? lol
I know that most folks will recommend food be at room temperature, and it can help with some who are having eating or vomiting issues. But my cats will eat their food at any temp. I guess I'm in the "Oddly" group as well. :lol:

T traveil , the article neely posted pretty much covers it. Look over it carefully to see what might best fit your circumstances. Try the smaller meals route. However, if the vomiting persists regularly or she has other symptoms, consider another vet visit.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicken can also be difficult for some kitties. Can you change to another protein source such as turkey or venison?

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats do that occasionally for the past 8 years. I feed various flavours and brands of wet food so I know it’s not brand or flavour specific. They also throw up dry food sometimes. I suppose it’s just a normal thing cats do. If they aren’t showing any other signs of being sick (lethargic, not using litterbox) then I just let them be.

If your cat is very active that also can cause them to vomit especially if they started running all over right after eating.

And it’s normal for them not to finish all their food at one go. They will resume eating later.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all, we are feeding her 85g of canned food, chicken flavor. I noticed she doesn't finish her whole meal, maybe I have fed her too much? She's approximately 7 years (we adopted her half a year ago), 3kg, and she's our first furkid. According to my family, she ate and sometime later threw up. She visited the vet prolly 2 months ago when she got her vaccination. She's our baby and I do not want anything to happen to her.
Wait... 3 kg is underweight for an adult cat. Is she a domestic short-haired/long-haired cat? Ideal weight for a female domestic is 4 - 4,5 kg. How much dry food she gets? I think you may be underfeeding her and she's losing more by puking as well.

How is her bowel movements? Diarrhea? Constipation? Google image "healthy stool cats" and you will find a few good charts with pictures

Puking might be about food intolerance. Did you try changing to high quality wet food for sensitive digestion?