Cat is terrified of riding in the car

hublebuble4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It look nice, the cat and the plastic carrier. Is it a plastic window on the front? I see a litter box in front of the carrier. Is the carrier open so that your cats can visit the litter box? Anyway, looks nice. Once I left my cat eg alone free in the car, and when I came back, eg had pee on the floor in fromnt of the pedals - on the plastic/rubber carpet. That was the best Place to pee in the car. But the stink was strong.  I took it out and washed it. And then it was ok. And then I realized how fantastic nowadys litter sand is. Many years from now it was smelling cat pee in the houses/appartments. Now = smell nothing. That's great!

rushmichmel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We put up netting behind the cargo area so they couldn't get over the seats and I unzipped the netting so they could have access to food, water and a litter box since it was an 8 hour trip. 

Based on an earlier recommendation I picked these up - http://www.petco.com/product/115784/Petco-Complete-Pet-Care-Chicken-Calming-Aid-Cat-Chews.aspx  and gave them each a chew 30 minutes before leaving and they slept most of the way to my parents.

The carrier is nylon and folds down flat when not in use so it's great for storing in a small place. I would like something with handles to make it easier to get them back into the house.  Three cats are heavy to try and lift. :-)

blueeyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is terrified of riding in the car. She screams, vomits and poops in the carrier all the way to the vet and back. I hate putting her through the trauma! Is there anything I can do to make this easier on her?
If it was me I would call my vet, and ask if your cat could have a mild sedative. This is very helpful, one this sedative will not hurt your cat, and will allow him/her to arrive not being afraid.
Sheila

hublebuble4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now I understand what to do. I must buy a net to cover the rear seat from the ledge Close to the backside window. And perhaps buy a kitten litter box containing sand. Thanks for the info.

rushmichmel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last year, when the two oldest were just kittens, I had the red carrier in the backseat and gave them some food and water when we stopped. But with 2 cats and a kitten this year, it was too small for all of them to be for 8 hours.

Honestly, none of them used the litter box, probably because the kitten decided it was where she wanted to hang out and relax for the entire trip.

If you just have one cat, I'd get something oversized that he can walk around in so he doesn't feel constrained, and put it on the back seat so you can see your cat.  And those Calming Aid chews were great.

shunra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I don't take my cat to the vet at all
Your can should be neutered, and should have an annual vet check.  Most people also have their cat vaccinated and the follow-up boosters.  If you put which country you are in someone might be able to tell you what safe and effective wormers are available, but your cat still needs it's annual vet check.

shunra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Start by having the carrier out all the time.  Once the cat is used to that, put some sort of treat in it, as the cat gets used to going in to get the treat shut the door for a minute or two, progress to shutting for longer, to taking the carrier out, to putting it in the car and bringing it in without going anywhere, to very short journeys and then longer ones.  Always give the cat a treat afterwards, though some cats are not that interested in them.

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She probably meant that she doesn't need to take her cat to vet because there is a new trend lately that many vet have established a mobile service. Meaning they go to your house instead of you going to their office, that way you can save your pets and yourself of the stress of commuting.

I hope that is what she meant!!!

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Never mind! She specifies lately. She does not take her pets to the veterinarian. One thing I know sometimes people try to save money with home remedies in the end you end up spending more and probably your animals end up worst!

danielle kernan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

If you were your kitty would you like being in a cage? try letting them ride without the cage, I have had a lot of cats over the years and never put them in a cage!!!
Having your cat roam free in the car is very dangerous. 

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I play classical music.calms her down thou i don't like it! That's only if I'm in my mom's car.Mine has no radio so I sing.Or,just keep talking.

Laura

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm lucky that vet is only about a mile away. Kat-Kat cry's pitifully on the way there but is quite happy to watch where we are coming back

This time,he didn't even care to get out of the car when he knew we were home, I had to lift him out as he seemed quite happy.

There was no way I could get him into carrier though, vet said to use an old pillowcase to carry him the next time we have to visit

Last edited:

sasnme2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is not a safe practice. What happens if your cat gets under your feet and interferes with your driving? Or if you have to slam on the brakes suddenly you could have a flying furball hitting the windshield.
I absolutely agree with GoldyCat, but want to add several thoughts.This is pretty much to everyone who lets their precious kitten or cat 'roam around' in their vehicle while driving to the vet or anywhere. This practice can be extremely dangerous for many reasons. While driving, we all know things can happen so fast! As GoldyCat stated, your cat can get under your feet, which they usually do and if for some reason you have to slam on your brakes to avoid something in the road or Heaven forbid, an accident, your kitten or cat could very well be under foot just at that moment and you will be unable to use your brake when needed. However, our immediate instinct is to do just that...slam on our brakes...possibly crushing or badly injuring your kitten or cat. They also tend to get in your lap hindering your ability to drive properly. I realize many kittens and cats hate to be in a carrier, but it's for their own safety and yours as well as whoever may be in the vehicle with you.  IT IS FAR SAFER TO ALWAY LEAVE YOUR KITTEN OR CAT IN IT'S CARRIER WHILE DRIVING anywhere with your precious baby. Also, if your kitten or cat hates being in it's carrier, that means you have quite a battle on your hands AT HOME getting him or her into the carrier, right? So instead of going through the 'fight' at home where it's SAFE, you put the empty carrier in your vehicle and allow him or her to 'roam about' freely while driving to the vet or wherever. What happens when you get to your destination? Your kitten or cat still has to be put into that carrier! So, there you are in the vet's parking lot...an extremely UNSAFE place to fight to try to get your kitten or cat into the carrier that it hates so much. Remember, you MUST open the door(s) to your vehicle at some point and, that is the exact time you run the risk of your kitten or cat bolting out of your vehicle.  Your vet or destination may be located in a high traffic area  and the odds of your baby being hit and killed by a vehicle is extremely high! I would never take that chance!  Don't underestimate how smart your kitten/cat truly is. They know you're going to put them in that carrier and, now the fight is on inside your vehicle! They're going to  hide, they're going to slip away from your grasp again and again and when you finally catch them, you are still going to have a fight on your hands just as you did when you were at home where it was SAFE and easier than in your vehicle. True, you may have to listen to the constant, loud meowing, see them struggling to get out, etc., but please take a deep breath and bear it for the safety of your furbaby. Please take the time to get them in their carrier AT HOME WHERE IT'S SAFE before driving anywhere with your precious feline furbaby.  

vickync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To Stephie Doodle:  all of my cats love their carrying kennels--the reason why? the kennels are left out, the doors tied open, with soft towels in them 24/7.  The carriers are their places to take naps and they feel very safe in their 'hidey hole".  They do seem, however,  to know when I am taking them to the vet and if they can, they will try to hide.  I put an open carrier at my waist level the night before they have to go to the vet; I feed them or give them a treat and then pick them up and have the cat  walk into the carrier (the carrier is at the edge of the counter or chair that the carrier is sitting on--this way they have to walk in since with their front feet inside, there is nothing to support their back legs until they continue into the carrier.  

Until your cats are used to a carrier, stray the inside of the carrier with a calming spray (available at the pet store), then wait five minutes before putting the cat inside.  Since you are borrowing your brother's carrier, it will have the smell of his cats and this may upset your cat---at least put one of your soft t-shirts or pajama tops in the carrier to reassure him with your smell.  The same is true if your cat must spend several hours or days at the vet's--take along something soft that has your smell on it and one or more of the cat's favorite toys.    It really helps if your vet atomizes Feliway in the examining rooms.

Do invest in a quality hard-case carrier that will protect the cat in case you are in an accident.  It's funny, but my little feral female meows all the way to the vet's office and doesn't want to come out of the carrier in the examining room, but on the way home there is not a peep from her. 

vickync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oops, typo on my reply to Stephie Doodle---spray instead of stray the inside of the carrier with Feliway five minutes before you put the cat inside.  

hublebuble4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are Indoor cats, but mother Elsa Gloria wants to go out in the nature, or to open public gardens with houses in Town. and sometimes I try to bring some or all the other cats wIth me in the car too. I apply a harness on every cat. And then I have a Leach connected. The other cats I put inside travel Carriers, soft plastic and of hard plastic material. But with Elsa Gloria who Think she is an aristocat, I let her be on the rear window and make an easy knot connected to the rear seat-belt. I don't know if it is ok according to the traffic law to do so, but I am convinced that it is safe for people and cats to travel that way. I don't know? Elsa Gloria likes it, but the other cats are so scared to be outside the appartment. I don't understand why (?)

sasnme2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's exactly why I wrote such a long response about this subject. If you love your feline furbabies, you would NEVER let the them run loose inside your vehicle no matter where you're going. Plain and simple, it's just way too dangerous!

lunariris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different with preferences when travelling. I raised most of our kitties myself and got them used to the carrier early, which always helps a great deal, so in an emergency we don't have to waste hours finding and catching our own pets when you only have minutes to work with. When they like the carrier, they're happy, we're happy. I did "inherit" several from a relative who moved out after some were adults, and they'd never been to a vet or in a carrier. I had to work with each one on one to get them used to it, and it wasn't fun or easy and it took several trips each to get them ok with it. It helps more if they are also leash-trained as kittens, get them used to collars and kitty harness, which is pretty easy to do when done young. Always praise them when they go in on their own. I usually give them slow blinky eyes too (cat  language for, "it's ok, you're safe with me"), and if they let you, try petting them through the door. This lets them know it's not a punishment and it's ok. I always try to talk to them calmly in the car, music on low helps some but makes others more anxious, depends on the cat. If you want you can try rewarding the cat after getting them in the carrier with a small treat they like. If they're really anxious, they have calming aids, like rescue remedy, calming collars, Feliway etc. but I'm leery of these, as many don't work and those that do I'm nervous of over-dosing them with sedative-like chemicals. 

Some prefer the domed carriers by PetMate, some prefer the bigger ones so they don't feel 'trapped' like in the smaller carriers, some prefer the 2-door ones with the door in the top so they can see more, and some like like a blanket over the carrier so they feel safer. I agree windows in the car left open may cool it down but the noise freaks them out and hurts their ears. If the A/C in the car works, I'd use that instead. Also I wouldn't open the windows too wide in the event they somehow got loose in the car, they can't get out the window, horrifying thought. If I have someone who's going with me and driving, whether going to the vet or just out, and if I'm only bringing one kitty with us, I may let him/her out of the carrier in the car on their kitty leash and let them sit on my lap. This calms some of them down, but isn't good for cats not used to leashes or prone to fear aggression, best to leave them in their carriers, especially if you're driving alone. I personally like the 2-door carriers for most of them so I can crack the top and pet them in the carrier, which many love, but again, if you can't keep them calm, that could end in disaster if they jump out. I've been tempted to use the mesh bag carriers, but feel they aren't strong enough for a determined/scared feline. They can easily scratch through the cloth and either hurt the person holding the carrier, or get out of it all-together. If started young I'm sure it'd be fine, but I prefer solid sides for security. Plus with dogs in the office if someone ele's pet gets away from their owner in the waiting room and comes after your pet and jumps at your carrier, a piece of cloth won't stop a large strange dog either. You can't assume everyone in the office with you has well-behaved pets. 

Putting a blanket they sleep on in the carrier with them may help, and spritzing Feliway on the door and inside the carrier a little before a vet visit can help if they're spooked. Try putting their food dish in there at meal time. If you have multiple pets, put out several carriers with a food dish in each one. I did this to help get the adults accustomed to the carrier that hadn't been worked with as kittens. Slowly they will start to calm down, but don't expect it to be overnight. 

Also it's good to leave their carrier out in the house somewhere they go a lot so they get used to its presence, if you can. We used to do this all the time, but now can't because one of our cats, who loves the carrier, will open and close the door and go inside and play with it and sleep in it....and unfortunately chew on the door knob and springs. He broke one of the doors that way, so I can't leave them out with him. But when I bring the carrier out to go to the vets, he always runs in it first, and starts purring. I can pick it up with the door open and walk around the house with him in it, he's so weird lol. 

As a final thought, if you're calmer, your pet will probably be too. They tend to pick up on emotions, and also the personality of your vet makes all the difference. We went to one vet's office with our pets, and they would freak out at the them, and I didn't like how they tried to "man-handle" our pets and treat them roughly, like ferals, which they weren't acting like at all, they just assumed (and the tech admitted she was a little afraid of cats and only had dogs). They would dread the visits. The vets wouldn't let us get them out of the carrier, which would have been fine with our pets, they know us. Instead, as strangers, they insisted as the "professionals" they get them out, and the cats would hiss and swat at these random people in a strange place. I switched vets to a place with more understanding, bubbly vets who treat us like family instead of idiots, and the cats personalities at the vets changed overnight. They asked us about our pets instead of making assumptions and let me get them out of the carriers, and they do fine there. Sometimes the vet you see makes all the difference too. Make sure your pets have a vet that both you and they like, it matters!

Good luck, hopefully you find something to help your kitty.