Cat Is Suddenly Scared Of Me

Tigrisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
I have read quite a few similar posts than mine, but none that quite reached the exact situation, so I am posting mine out of desparation.

I have had my cat now for almost 11 years. Let's call him Tiger. As he grows older, being 12 years old since March 1st, he grows cuddlier, too. He's always been a very cuddly cat and climbs on my lap at least five times a day and sleeps on my bed and all that jazz.

I have left the house for long periods of time, either for a summer camp or university. My most recent adventure was a trip to another country and I was gone for almost three weeks. When I got back, he was fine with me and cuddled me like usual. But then, the next day while I was in the bathroom, I reached out to stroke his back and pet him and he yowled as if he was in pain and hid from me. That was last Friday and to this day, he still hides from me. Now, I was very gentle in stroking him, so I really don't know how it could have hurt him.
I am trying to be patient and leave him space. He's also been very calm and quiet, unlike his usual lazy but crazy self. I figure by now that he would be healed if he truly was injured, so now it just leaves the fright aspect. My friends told me he was just sulking because I had been gone on a trip, but if that was the case, wouldn't he have sulked all those times I left for university? I truly believe I might have hurt him, but like I said before, I was very gentle and am very clueless as to how. At this point, I am just afraid he might be dying. I love him very much and wouldn't want him to die afraid of me. Please help!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who took care of him and what did they say about how he did for the 3 weeks?

I suppose its possible he has a wound, or other medical issue, and you could take him to the vet if it keeps up. However, it seems more likely its some weirdness related to your being gone. I had a cat that pee'd in my suitcase when I got back on two separate trips. You may just have to try and win him over as if from scratch.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry Tiger isn't acting his normal self around you. How is he around other members of your family? Was he acting strange while you were away?

Cats are really good at hiding pain, so if you suspect there might be something physically wrong with him, I would suggest taking him for a vet checkup.

Here's a TCS article with some more info:
35 Signs That Your Cat May Be In Pain

nazzurai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Totally agree with rubysmama - a visit to the vets should be done just to be on the safe side

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tigrisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Who took care of him and what did they say about how he did for the 3 weeks?

I suppose its possible he has a wound, or other medical issue, and you could take him to the vet if it keeps up. However, it seems more likely its some weirdness related to your being gone. I had a cat that pee'd in my suitcase when I got back on two separate trips. You may just have to try and win him over as if from scratch.
Hi, thank you for your message. He acts fine around my mom and stepdad, so it is most likely me having to try and win him over, like you said. Thank you!!

Tigrisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry Tiger isn't acting his normal self around you. How is he around other members of your family? Was he acting strange while you were away?

Cats are really good at hiding pain, so if you suspect there might be something physically wrong with him, I would suggest taking him for a vet checkup.

Here's a TCS article with some more info:
35 Signs That Your Cat May Be In Pain
Hi!
He acts fine around my mother. He even curled up on her when I was around, which he never does, so I think at this point he really is sulking.
Thank you so much for the article and for the message, it was very helpful!

Tigrisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Totally agree with rubysmama - a visit to the vets should be done just to be on the safe side
I like to do things to be on the safe side as well. Thank you!!