Cat Is Suddenly Aggressive

Katkat2210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I have a female cat, I adopted her about a half year ago, I think she’s around 1 year old or more .. Lately she began to act very weird . Usually she lays on my chest a lot when I lay also,and we sort of “cuddle”. She is the sweetest cat who likes to be petted and asks for it, she licks me, bumps and rubs her head at me etc ... Now something happens and I don’t know why. She comes to me to like always and meows like always , lays on me and after a few minutes our eyes lock - then she stares a few seconds , back out and slaps me with her paw and claws on my face ... then runs away. I got scared from that so now every time she comes to me and jumps at me I’m scared that when I start to pet her she will flip out at me And I think she feels my fear or something because she is doing that every time now .. first the stare at my eyes , then back with her body a little from me , slap and run.. What is this ?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is she sprayed? If not hormones can make a girl wacky.

It doesn't sound aggressive more like "tag you're it" "come chase me" but doesn't know to keep her claws in. 1yr is a young energetic time for a cat, think teen time. :runaround:

Have several play sessions with her a day. The more active the better. String toys like Da Bird, Fetching favorite toys, Hide and seek and mock chase if you're up to it. If she persists in swatting you with claws say "ow" in a high pitched voice and then ignore her for 5 min. Hissing could also work. Monthly nail trimming along with horizontal and vertical scratching posts will keep those nails in check.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katkat2210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she sprayed? If not hormones can make a girl wacky.

It doesn't sound aggressive more like "tag you're it" "come chase me" but doesn't know to keep her claws in. 1yr is a young energetic time for a cat, think teen time. :runaround:

Have several play sessions with her a day. The more active the better. String toys like Da Bird, Fetching favorite toys, Hide and seek and mock chase if you're up to it. If she persists in swatting you with claws say "ow" in a high pitched voice and then ignore her for 5 min. Hissing could also work. Monthly nail trimming along with horizontal and vertical scratching posts will keep those nails in check.
Thank you !
I play with her with a toy on a string , she jumps so high ! and fetching toys
Spayed ? Yes she is...
She has a scratching post but I have never seen her scratch there , only scratch my sofa
So she is just trying to play with me ? Because she looks at me weird I don’t even know how to explain , like she’s suddenly terrified of me
Here is her ... I don’t know how old she is exactly

Attachments

Katkat2210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think so. If you can pull her into a firm/gentle hug when she gives you the look and before she swats it's a Mama cat way of saying "not playtime"
Thanks ! I’ll try that.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few suggestions.

You might want to not hold the stare. She could be considering that part of the "dare me" game, which is play fighting. Don't break the stare just don't engage at the beginning.

If you do make eye contact, which is probably part of your way of interacting consider

Jackson Galaxy (cat expert) says the slow blink is a greeting with cats, but what you describe isn't a greeting but a challenge. Look with a soft gaze not a stare and blink slowly, but fairly soon after you make eye contact.

Also, he takes his glasses off before doing the blink. That way the cat doesn't see her own face reflected where your eyes should be. Personally, I'd keep a little space between my uncovered eyes and excitable 'LET"S PLAY NOW!" kitty. The length of kitty's arm should be enough.

Katkat2210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few suggestions.

You might want to not hold the stare. She could be considering that part of the "dare me" game, which is play fighting. Don't break the stare just don't engage at the beginning.

If you do make eye contact, which is probably part of your way of interacting consider

Jackson Galaxy (cat expert) says the slow blink is a greeting with cats, but what you describe isn't a greeting but a challenge. Look with a soft gaze not a stare and blink slowly, but fairly soon after you make eye contact.

Also, he takes his glasses off before doing the blink. That way the cat doesn't see her own face reflected where your eyes should be. Personally, I'd keep a little space between my uncovered eyes and excitable 'LET"S PLAY NOW!" kitty. The length of kitty's arm should be enough.
thanks ! It’s just so weird , never had that before .. she would just lay on me and then go away when she felt like it .. never slapped me .. And we looked at each other and it was fine ..
Also, have done anything to change your scent? Different shampoo, perfume, soap? If so, that could be as part of the problem.

Good luck!
Hmm nope ! Not really ..
Everything is the same , maybe she smells and feels my fear ??..
I’m really scared she’ll rip my eyeballs off or something 0_0
Once my phone fell while she was on top of me , she got startled and clawed my entire neck, but it was my fault .. hah

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's an adolescent kitty (a beautiful one, I might add!) who is testing the social rank and boundaries with you!

I think if it happens when she is laying on top of you, even after a time of pets and cuddles, she might be testing her "superiority" and locking eyes with her will definitely indicate A Showdown. You're a bit more helpless as you are in the lower position (under her), and it's hard to move your head -- but I've found that when my kitty and I lock eyes and we're in close quarters, what helps is to bob my head downward while at the same time, looking away or gently turning away. I'm not sure if you can do that while laying flat under her. Maybe what would help you would be, when you see her coming for the cuddles & love time, to sit halfway up on the bed or sofa so that you can have a more equal social rank (body language) with her when she comes to cuddle on your lap. This might give you more room to work with the locking stare episode.

Adolescence does pass after 18-20 months of age, I think, so if she just can learn what her "social rank" is with you in the household, that will help long-term. Is she the boss or are you the boss? :)

Last edited:

Katkat2210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's an adolescent kitty (a beautiful one, I might add!) who is testing the social rank and boundaries with you!

I think if it happens when she is laying on top of you, even after a time of pets and cuddles, she might be testing her "superiority" and locking eyes with her will definitely indicate A Showdown. You're a bit more helpless as you are in the lower position (under her), and it's hard to move your head -- but I've found that when my kitty and I lock eyes and we're in close quarters, what helps is to bob my head downward while at the same time, looking away or gently turning away. I'm not sure if you can do that while laying flat under her. Maybe what would help you would be, when you see her coming for the cuddles & love time, to sit halfway up on the bed or sofa so that you can have a more equal social rank (body language) with her when she comes to cuddle on your lap. This might give you more room to work with the locking stare episode.

Adolescent does pass after 18-20 months of age, I think, so if she just can learn what her "social rank" is with you in the household, that will help long-term. Is she the boss or are you the boss? :)
That’s what I do every time she comes now , I straighten myself and sit but I’m still scared haha! She reallly loves to put her little head under my chin and stay like that for a Few minutes ..
I try not to make eye contact so much now..

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, though it's hard, try not to be scared! This is a perfect time to try to learn her body language (although, that can change in a split second and then back again, sigh). You can look, and blink and nod when she locks eyes with you, but the main goal is to not have an unmoving, direct gaze back at her. Blink, bob your head, speak gentle words, distract her with a toy -- things like that, and she'll break herself out of the confrontation too. It's a give and take.

It's best to make sure everyone in the household (I mean, the other humans, if there are any) are on the same page about this! My husband is clueless with "catspeak", and he still, to this day, forgets to nod and blink and acquiesce to our kitty's direct gaze. If the cat is confused, her reactions will be to swipe at you... then you've gotten a bloody mark on your nose or a scratch on your own cornea! ack!

You've only had her about six months; it takes time for the both of you to learn each other's signals.
:D

Katkat2210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, though it's hard, try not to be scared! This is a perfect time to try to learn her body language (although, that can change in a split second and then back again, sigh). You can look, and blink and nod when she locks eyes with you, but the main goal is to not have an unmoving, direct gaze back at her. Blink, bob your head, speak gentle words, distract her with a toy -- things like that, and she'll break herself out of the confrontation too. It's a give and take.

It's best to make sure everyone in the household (I mean, the other humans, if there are any) are on the same page about this! My husband is clueless with "catspeak", and he still, to this day, forgets to nod and blink and acquiesce to our kitty's direct gaze. If the cat is confused, her reactions will be to swipe at you... then you've gotten a bloody mark on your nose or a scratch on your own cornea! ack!

You've only had her about six months; it takes time for the both of you to learn each other's signals.
:D
Its just her and me ^^ I live alone
Yeah I only have her for 6 months , but from the very begging we bonded really quickly ! I kiss her head every time I enter at home , I loooove her
Look how much she grew
Blue blanket is her first day at my house

Attachments

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're still afraid for your eyes, then that's what you need to protect to lessen your fear. Do you wear glasses? If not consider buying a pair with plain plastic lens, not protective goggles, which are big and get a bit warm, just pretend glasses like one would wear to be in a play. They shouldn't be expensive.

They might help with breaking the staring as the cat would be seeing her own reflection some of the time.

Remember your cat loves you and means no harm. Cats play rough with each other because every game is learning how to survive. Asking you to play with her is her way of helping you learn to survive. She just doesn't realize how tight and easily prickable your skin is. When she does claw you, hiss at her -- mother cats do this to reprimand, kittens to it to tell each other 'too much, back off'.

Puppies squeal to warn playmates they are playing too hard. This doesn't seem to work with cats.

Katkat2210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you're still afraid for your eyes, then that's what you need to protect to lessen your fear. Do you wear glasses? If not consider buying a pair with plain plastic lens, not protective goggles, which are big and get a bit warm, just pretend glasses like one would wear to be in a play. They shouldn't be expensive.

They might help with breaking the staring as the cat would be seeing her own reflection some of the time.

Remember your cat loves you and means no harm. Cats play rough with each other because every game is learning how to survive. Asking you to play with her is her way of helping you learn to survive. She just doesn't realize how tight and easily prickable your skin is. When she does claw you, hiss at her -- mother cats do this to reprimand, kittens to it to tell each other 'too much, back off'.

Puppies squeal to warn playmates they are playing too hard. This doesn't seem to work with cats.
I have glasses but I don’t wear them. It not just my eyes I’m afraid .. it’s my face and neck also haha.
But I understand now that she is just being playful.. it’s just new to me ^^ because it never happend before , started last week..
Thanks !!
Hiss is like whistle ? ( sorry English is not my primary language )

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
K Kflowers has some great ideas :), I don't know why I didn't think of the hissing thing, for when your cat goes too far and you need to let her know she is hurting you. She needs to know what your boundaries are too, it just isn't all about bending to your cat's will. I hiss at my cat at times (and also loudly say "No" or "Hey!") when she goes over a line, so it does help for sure! Especially if they latch onto your forearm and do the "bunny kick", and it hurts. That's when you need to find a stuffed animal toy for the cat to "bunny kick".

(And I never realized how hard it is to describe a "hiss" noise online! It's not really a whistle. Maybe we'll have to look for a video which demonstrates it!)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll try. Mother cats hiss at kittens to make them behave. Tom cats hiss at each other before they fight. Cats hiss when they feel threatened.

A hiss is a cross of a growl, a whistle, and spitting. It is the reverse of the inward hiss when you stub your toe, just before you swear. If your language rolls or trills the letter 'r' you've got a starting point.

Shape your lips and tongue as you do when you are going to whistle. Draw air up and as it passes over the back of your throat let a little spit mix with it.

Or ask a child to make the mad kitty sound. ;)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NO, I'm wrong, for the way I do it. It's not the whistle shape to the mouth, it's more of lips pulled in a grimace, teeth 1/4 inch apart. As you draw the air forward make a crackling sound. Warning you may accidentally actually spit on your cat, so aim beside her.

PushPurrCatpaws probably has her own way of doing which doesn't involve actually spitting. I'd like to try something drier, because you know, not supposed to wet spit.