Cat is still scooting from time to time

Kee

High Velocity
Young Cat
Purraise
This is after I voiced my initial concerns in this thread. It seemed to quieten down for a week or so but has started again. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, and he's been dewormed and de-flead, with no irregular bowel movements and energetic as usual. I'm just not sure what to do. I added some dry food with some more fibre into his diet to see if it would help, but nothing yet.

Should I get his glands expressed again? Is this something that some cats just do because they want attention? It's not like he ever leaves behind any skid marks or anything.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read the other thread. I doubt he is doing it for attention. Cats are great at getting attention in many ways but that’s a little different than their usual way.
Just because he was wormed , it doesn’t mean he can’t still have parasites. It often takes a couple of rounds of the meds to get rid of them and even a single flea can reintroduce them. We don’t always get to see the worms either. You mentioned he is overweight. I am wondering if he can properly groom himself back there. If he can’t reach to clean or scratch an itch..... could be one possible explanation for scooting. If he is uncomfortable enough to scoot, there is something to address. Whether it is parasites, food sensitivities or just not being able to scratch that ungroomed spot, he has my sympathy. I would suggest helping him to keep the area clean, maybe he would enjoy a brushing , and otherwise, check with the vet again. Food sensitivities could be the culprit too. One last thought, some of the cats here react to certain litters. I am now using low dust clumping unscented and it has made a big difference for them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did the vet show you how the anal glands looked before they expressed them? If so, then you know how to check to see if they are filling back up again. If not, they are tiny little-pea-sized openings on each side of the anus - if using the face of a clock, they would be located at 5pm & 7pm. They should be pretty hard to see, unless they are starting to collect 'gunk' that needs expressing.

Some cats are prone to having overactive anal glands and as a result might have to routinely have them expressed. If you are unsure about what the glands look like, you can usually just take your cat into the vets - without an appt. - and most of the vet techs can check them and express them if needed. If you can, ask to be involved at least to the point they show where the glands are and how to tell if they are in need of being expressed. If you are up for it, you can even have the vet or vet tech teach you how to express them.

PippasMum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, glad to find this. My Pippa scoots.. I recently took her to her veterinarian for a yearly and mentioned it to her vet and asked if she could de-worm Pippa. Of course, her vet said it may not be down to worms but faecal impaction and she would need the glands expressed which she did at a cost of £20. She then tells me she can be brought back anytime for doing the same. Well, wouldn't you know it, my girl was scooting again the very next day! I love her dearly but can not afford to run her to the vet's everyday to have her anal glands expressed! I am going to need to invest in latex gloves and have the vet teach me how! You might think there would be something they could do once and it would be sorted. It doesn't seem to bother her but it bothers me when she scrubs the arm of my chair with her bum! Must invest in more upholstery cleaner, I suspect :clapcat:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, wouldn't you know it, my girl was scooting again the very next day!
Loose stools can attribute to this issue, by either being related to the glands or the desire of a cat to get rid of poop remnants on their behinds. It seems highly odd that the scooting the very next day is due to the glands becoming full again. Her bum might also be a bit itchy from either the gland expression and/or because of some loose stools.