Cat is still itching

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

When I took in Oreo she had some fleas, but not many.  I have done two flea treatments (Sentry Fiproguard .017fl oz) and no longer see any fleas or flea dirt (one a month)!  The concern I have is that she is still itching, mostly her head, but do see some body scratching.  When I applied the flea treatment I noted that she acted like it was hurting her (she ran away like she was being hurt).  I do not know if she was just scared by the smell, feeling or if it is making her hurt?  I do not see any swelling, red areas or burns at all!  I asked the vet about it and they said it could just be a mild irritation from the flea treatment and not to worry.  Have any of you seen this or gone through it?  I do not want her to have to be itching!!!

She was checked and cleared of ear mites and fleas at the last check so it is not from that!! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did go and read the "side effects" on the flea treatment and it has listed "startle effect" and "temporary irritation".  This at least answered the question as to why she acted like she was being hurt when I put in on her 
  I know the vet is saying not to worry, but I do not like that is has been over a week since her last treatment and she is still acting like her skin is itching, poor girl

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you combed her with a fine tooth comb?  Onto a piece of white paper?  If there are still a few fleas lurking they will leave flea dirt in her coat which will produce a pink stain when moistened.

If she has a flea allergy it takes very little to set it off, or she might have some completely unrelated problem. 

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can see why you would assume it is fleas, but could the itching fall within normal kitty itches?  I tend to worry about every itch and scratch but I try to remind myself that it is normal for them to have random little itchy scratchies.  (Mine are indoors and flea free but I still worry and check them (and have the vet check them) to be on the safe side.)

The above suggestion about flea dirt is good too.  When I was ridding a newly adopted cat of fleas I put white t-shirts in his bed after he had been treated to see if I could see any flea dirt.

I suppose she could also have itchy bites left on her even if the fleas are gone.  Good luck.

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have NO experience with the new products with frontlines ingrediants but have heard 2 people say so far it didnt deliver the medicine as good as the frontline brand did.  One was a rescuer with multiple cats and other had 5 cats.  Do you have Air conditioning if your in a hotter climate?  I notice mine seem itchy on hotter days even thought they LOVE their sunroom thats not A/C.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're SURE she doesn't have fleas? I just googled Sentry Fiproguard and found a petgroomer forum where they were chatting about various products. Everyone that bought the Fiproguard was very unhappy as it didn't work, even though it supposedly has the same active ingredient as Frontline.

It also seems that there are many different types of fleas, and what works in one area of the country doesn't work so well in another. Frontline appears to work better on the East Coast, and Advantage on the West Coast.

...and as she had fleas, have you ensured they're gone from the environment? The best way to do this is to buy a flea collar, cut it up, and put some of it in the vacuum. Do NOT put it on the kitty. Vacuum frequently, and keep putting pieces of the collar in the vacuum so it kills the flea eggs you vacuum up. Focus on cracks in wood floors, edges - where carpet ends, along walls, etc.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, another possibility is a flea allergy. That is very common in cats. My favorite cat never went outside, but he had a flea allergy.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes she could have an allergy to the flea dander, or if she got a rabies shot while she was there, it could be a reaction to the shot- one of my foster cats had a severe allergic reaction to the shot, it caused a temporary food allergy. He was itching around his ears and neck so much that he drew blood and lost a lot of his fur. It sounds like you might need to go back to the vet. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the help!  I was VERY surprised to find that she does still have some fleas!!!  I took your advice and got a flea comb and when I used it today I found two small, light brown fleas on her.  I found one on her neck and one on her chest, VERY fast and never would have seen them had it not been for the comb!!!!  I had treated her five weeks ago with Advantage II, but that was a one time thing, I used the other last week.  I guess I need to go back to using a better known brand!  I will get a flea collar and cut it up for the vacuums to be sure the fleas do not become an issue in the home.  She is an only mammal in the home so getting or giving fleas is not an issue.

I also saw a worm on her bottom today so needless to say she has NOT been ridden of these parasites yet!!!!!   

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was it rice-like (tapeworm) or spaghetti-like (round worm)? If rice-like, you need to treat her with a pill, Drontal. If it's round worm, your best bet is two weeks after you apply the Advantage Plus (or whatever), apply Revolution (have to get it from a vet though, it's still prescription). I'd treat for both again - apply the Advantage 4 weeks after the first dose, and apply the Revolution again two weeks after that. :nod:

It it's tapeworm, the Drontal should clear it up with one dose. But other internal parasites have to be treated for several times, because none of the treatments kill the eggs (even if they say they do), so you have to let them mature, then kill them, thus the 2nd treatment.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
frontline is a lot better than advantage IMO. I'm so glad to hear that you have found the problem. I agree with LDG about the worms, I think you may need revolution to treat those but you should check with your vet :-) and she is right, there are some parasites that are not managed with any of these products. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to consider treating the house as well.  Female fleas lay eggs (about 50 per day), the eggs drop off the fleas into the environment and at some point hatch into larvae which eventually pupate, fleas hatch from the pupae.  If you are finding fleas on a cat they are like the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fleas/

Drontals are effective but massive.  In the UK we use Milbemax now which is tiny, but I gather it's not available in the US.  If you can't get Milbemax I'd go for one of the spot-ons that are active against worms, but remember you need to treat for both roundworms and tapeworms.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/worming/index.php

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She said she was going to put a flea collar in the vacuum, that should help a lot. I have had fleas in my house in the past 
 and I learned that they like to hide out in cracks between flooring and places like that. You may as well get rid of any bedding or stuff that belongs to the kitty as well. Wash everything else in super hot water.