Cat is starting to try to eat off my plate

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I admit, I do give him a nibble or two of my food if he is interested but never off my plate. When he is interested he gets on my lap and starts sniffing the food like crazy. He is a spoiled bottle baby. With my previous cats I was a ‘mean mommy’ & only gave them people food on a plate away from where we were eating. Should I do that with Jackie? I have just been pushing/removing him off my lap; when he sniffs my plate .... then giving him a small bite a few minutes later when he has been behaving for a minute or two.

He likes: butter, cheesecake, chicken nuggets (without the crust), chicken corn dogs (I only give him the hot dog part but he likes both), cheese.... cheese & more cheese. (I don’t give him anything with onion, garlic or chocolate.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are going to feed him human food, then put some on a plate for him, and put it on the floor - and, then, put him there. I have fed Feeby human food, but always away from my plate and she has never once in her 15+ years tried to eat off my plate. She may beg, but she knows she will get 'hers' away from mine.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Following!!!

Even though I don't give my new adoptee, Persia, any human food, she loves to beg and will stick her whole head in a treat bag to try and pull chips out to eat! It's cute, but hopefully will pick up some tips from others responding to you.

All I do, too, are pick up and move or turn her in the other direction on my lap, so not sure what other advice to give because my kittie still has been persistent.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Following!!!

Even though I don't give my new adoptee, Persia, any human food, she loves to beg and will stick her whole head in a treat bag to try and pull chips out to eat! It's cute, but hopefully will pick up some tips from others responding to you.

All I do, too, are pick up and move or turn her in the other direction on my lap, so not sure what other advice to give because my kittie still has been persistent.
On the floor - never in your lap while you are eating. Treat bag - yours or hers? Either way, don't leave stuff out for her to get into. It is so very cute, but could create a monster down the road if you let her get away with it now. How old? If she is still a kitten, make sure you are feeding her enough of her own food.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the floor - never in your lap while you are eating. Treat bag - yours or hers? Either way, don't leave stuff out for her to get into. It is so very cute, but could create a monster down the road if you let her get away with it now. How old? If she is still a kitten, make sure you are feeding her enough of her own food.
Typo, chip bag, not treat bag... I only have it out when I am eating out of the bag. I'm in a tiny house that doesn't have a dining room or room for table and chairs, so I normally eat on the couch, hence the kitties cuddling with me or sitting on my lap when eating. I don't let her eat my food unless she accidentally gets something and inhales it before I'm able to grab it from her, which has only been 1 chip and 1 piece of popcorn so far. She is about 5 months, and the kittens are fed about every two hours all they can eat dry, in addition to a full can of wet food morning and night. She still does this right after she eats dry food, and I've been training them to use the scale to weigh them and monitor their weight and they've both been gaining. I think she just really likes the smell of pita chips and popcorn, because other foods I eat she doesn't go crazy trying to steal it.

Thanks for your advice and input.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think she just really likes the smell of pita chips and popcorn, because other foods I eat she doesn't go crazy trying to steal it.
Too funny! But, I understand - my first cat, Tawny, sat on the couch with me and ate popcorn!!!! He rarely begged for anything else. He was ALWAYS on the couch waiting for me if he smelled popcorn!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom had a bottle baby that was crazy spoiled. She ‘suppervised’ On the counter while my mom was cooking & tried to steal bacon out of the pan! So I agree about nipping it in the Bud early. Since my past cats got people food on their plates & they were well behaved I will try that (plus removing him when he gets all sniffy.) I use to set aside a tibit for them when I coooked their favorites and feed it to them on their plates.

I also never rewarded meowing for food (still don’t) because I don’t want an obnoxious cat. He is young, 13 months old & we are still working out the rules (like stay off the counter!) Lately he has been pushing boundaries by pretending to attack my ankles while I’m on the toilet..... and I correct him every time. Not because he is hurting me but because I don’t want him to become an ankle ninja! (I have been sick with a sinus infection for 7 weeks & I think it is his way of telling me he is bored.) Thank goodness for the cat dancer & outside time.

canucksfan1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I admit, I do give him a nibble or two of my food if he is interested but never off my plate. When he is interested he gets on my lap and starts sniffing the food like crazy. He is a spoiled bottle baby. With my previous cats I was a ‘mean mommy’ & only gave them people food on a plate away from where we were eating. Should I do that with Jackie? I have just been pushing/removing him off my lap; when he sniffs my plate .... then giving him a small bite a few minutes later when he has been behaving for a minute or two.

He likes: butter, cheesecake, chicken nuggets (without the crust), chicken corn dogs (I only give him the hot dog part but he likes both), cheese.... cheese & more cheese. (I don’t give him anything with onion, garlic or chocolate.)
yeah keep any human food seperate on seoerate plate or your OKing a lifetime cat plate robbing you, probably embarrass you in front of company.
my baby Taz loves strawberries, cooked veggies-potatoes, really likes coffee bigtime & if you got jelly bears in front of her she will have jellybears lol she likes to ninja steal the whole bag :)