Cat Is Spayed, But Acts Like She Is In Heat

jandanman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
6 months ago I found a cat outside during a storm and brought her in to keep her safe. I took her to the vet to locate an owner via micro chip but no one ever contacted me, so I decided to keep her. Over the past 3 weeks she has been displaying behavior of a cat in heat, such as yowling, excessive meowing, tail to the side, butt in air, bodily response to "mounting," and being overly affectionate. I took her to SNAP to get her spayed two weeks ago, but that's when I found out she already has spay markings. I took her to the vet again a few days ago and I paid $60 for them to tell me that they don't know what's wrong, and other than an ultrasound they can't really do anything. I paid for some medicine that's supposed to calm cats during flights but she either won't eat the food it's in or she doesn't even respond to the medicine. Her meows are not normal. She sounds as if she is in distress and when she isn't making the baby-crying sound, she is literally screaming at the top of her lungs. She just sits on the floor and screams hysterically. The only thing that keeps her quiet is petting, but I don't want to reinforce this behavior. She does this all day every day and at all hours of the night. Please help me. I don't want to give her to a shelter or put her back outdoors, but I really don't know what else to do. Thanks.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS! That is certainly odd behavior! Did the vet explain what they would be looking for in an ultrasound? Alternatively, your vet might be able to administer hormones. I know that my vet can give the feral toms a shot similar to the human birth control pill; this shot helps the toms calm down and quit spraying as much (sometimes older toms seem to get a brief spike in hormones right after neutering & create lots of havoc before retiring from their tomcat ways). It might let your cat's body think it is pregnant.
Btw, thank you for rescuing her & getting her good vet care! :rock:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not so sure about the behaviors being weird. Other spayed queens do it too. Our experts should know why it happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jandanman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Daisy6: I'm not sure what a "spayed queen" is, but she isn't any older than 3 years old. I wish i could share a recording of what she sounds like. No one I've talked to who owns a cat thinks it's normal and has never heard anything like it

catsknowme: The vet said that they would be looking to see if they could find any leftover ovarian tissue from her surgery. The vet's only theories were ovarian tissue causing her to go in heat and a possible thyroid issue. My cat does not show any signs of having a thyroid or other health problem besides excessive meowing. Even then, it doesn't explain why she is shrieking at the top of her lungs for nearly 24 hours a day. I'll definitely look into a hormone injection option if I can't find any other solution. Thanks for the suggestion!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen a spayed cat act like it was in heat, and I mean she was full time in heat for six months! Later I was told that the cat had a tumor on her ovary. Just hearsay, but perhaps that could be checked out. :dunno:

jandanman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read the article and the vet I went to suggested an ultrasound as virtually the only solution. She hadn't said anything about the other, much easier sounding, tests. I'm upset that I had to pay $60 for nothing and now I'm gonna have to go back. Thanks for the help guys.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Jan, I did not say it is normal. Dr. Bushby might know how common it is.

A queen is a female cat.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Ouch! I am sorry that you had to pay $60 with no results, too. And your poor cat and you - the situation must be nerve wracking, to say the least. :headscratch: The caterwauling is definitely annoying. I wish that I had a better answer for you. Please keep us updated! Any answers that you come up with can be very helpful education for the rest of us! :einstein:

Dr. Phil Bushby

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS! That is certainly odd behavior! Did the vet explain what they would be looking for in an ultrasound? Alternatively, your vet might be able to administer hormones. I know that my vet can give the feral toms a shot similar to the human birth control pill; this shot helps the toms calm down and quit spraying as much (sometimes older toms seem to get a brief spike in hormones right after neutering & create lots of havoc before retiring from their tomcat ways). It might let your cat's body think it is pregnant.
Btw, thank you for rescuing her & getting her good vet care! :rock:
Hello,
6 months ago I found a cat outside during a storm and brought her in to keep her safe. I took her to the vet to locate an owner via micro chip but no one ever contacted me, so I decided to keep her. Over the past 3 weeks she has been displaying behavior of a cat in heat, such as yowling, excessive meowing, tail to the side, butt in air, bodily response to "mounting," and being overly affectionate. I took her to SNAP to get her spayed two weeks ago, but that's when I found out she already has spay markings. I took her to the vet again a few days ago and I paid $60 for them to tell me that they don't know what's wrong, and other than an ultrasound they can't really do anything. I paid for some medicine that's supposed to calm cats during flights but she either won't eat the food it's in or she doesn't even respond to the medicine. Her meows are not normal. She sounds as if she is in distress and when she isn't making the baby-crying sound, she is literally screaming at the top of her lungs. She just sits on the floor and screams hysterically. The only thing that keeps her quiet is petting, but I don't want to reinforce this behavior. She does this all day every day and at all hours of the night. Please help me. I don't want to give her to a shelter or put her back outdoors, but I really don't know what else to do. Thanks.

The behavior you describe certainly sounds like she is in heat. You state that you took the cat to SNAP but that "she already has spay markings." What do you mean by she already has "spay markings?" If it is a scar from an incision, that does not necessarily mean that the incision was for a spay. And she might still be fully intact.

If it was a tattoo or an ear tip, then she probably was spayed and ovarian remnant syndrome is the most likely cause of her behavior.

Ultrasound would be one way to confirm an ovarian remnant, but only if the remnant is large. The hormone testing mentioned the article "Ovarian Remnant Syndrome in Cats" is another way, but often is expensive.

Surgical removal of the ovaries and uterus (spay) would be the treatment if she has not been spayed previously. Surgical exploratory and removal of the remaining ovarian tissue is the treatment if this is an ovarian remnant.

jandanman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dr. Bushby: My cat has a blue-ish tattoo on both her inner ear and belly. Are there any other options besides surgery? The vet I talked to said that there's no guarantee that they'll be able to find and remove the ovarian tissue if it exists.
Thank you for your help!

Dr. Phil Bushby

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Dr. Bushby: My cat has a blue-ish tattoo on both her inner ear and belly. Are there any other options besides surgery? The vet I talked to said that there's no guarantee that they'll be able to find and remove the ovarian tissue if it exists.
Thank you for your help!
The tattoo means that someone has spayed her. If this truly is an ovarian remnant then surgery is the only answer and your vet is correct the ovarian tissue might be difficult to find. Having said that, the long term risk of leaving that ovarian tissue intact, is greater than the risk of another surgery. If this was my cat I would go into the abdomen and find the ovarian tissue.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it true that the exploration is better done while the cat is in heat because the ovarian remnant would be easier to find? Also, would you do any of the testing mentioned in the article or just go straight to surgery?

Dr. Phil Bushby

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Is it true that the exploration is better done while the cat is in heat because the ovarian remnant would be easier to find? Also, would you do any of the testing mentioned in the article or just go straight to surgery?
Exploration is better done when the cat is in heat, as the ovarian tissue will be easier to find. And personally if it was my cat and I was sure that there was no other cause I would go straight to the surgery.