Cat is picky today

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a stubborn picky cat ran out of her fav food 😑 tried the chicken and liver fancy feast. But no she likes plain chicken. She use to love this stuff. I won't be able to get it until tomorrow since it's late.

I wonder what's the difference 🤔 my cat is just stubborn and hard to please 😫

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Both - as is many cats. She won't starve between now and tomorrow while you wait for her favorite food. But I am telling you - keep some baby food meat on hand for when you don't want her to wait for a new supply of what she loves. You can also try FF Gourmet chicken too. There are also FF Petites servings that come in just chicken as well. All good backups to have on hand.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have turkey beachnut version. Buy yeah I'll see . I tried thise split chicken fancy feast chicken but she didn't like it. She doesn't make sense sometimes.

Both - as is many cats. She won't starve between now and tomorrow while you wait for her favorite food. But I am telling you - keep some baby food meat on hand for when you don't want her to wait for a new supply of what she loves. You can also try FF Gourmet chicken too. There are also FF Petites servings that come in just chicken as well. All good backups to have on hand.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She doesn't make sense sometimes.
I say the same thing about Feeby every day of the week. You'd think I would know her after being with her for over 15 years, but nope, she changes her mind more than I can change sitting/standing/laying positions in a day. This cat, who isn't SUPPOSED to be anywhere near my purported intelligence, has me stumped most of the time as she ages.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my cat ate friskies chicken liver and after 1/3 if a can she decided to go nvm gimme my usual. 🥲 I don't know why she changes her mind to much.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well she finally cleaned her plate. Hope she will want the rest now. I did custom fancy feast because she liked 3. But I think the milk with chicken made her sick.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for a cat to have days where she eat little but eat more the next day. Could age be a factor? She isn't sick. I don't know if she gets sick of food for certain hours .

I'm also getting sick of my food and I don't her to do the same 😭.

All I saw her was just licking wetfood instead of eating it.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well she finally cleaned her plate. Hope she will want the rest now. I did custom fancy feast because she liked 3. But I think the milk with chicken made her sick.
The fancy feast with milk makes my cats puke. I think it’s the milk

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Will a cat starve if she gets bored of food flavors? I don't know why she is doing that . all she did was lick the food earlier of her wet food. Her vet visit isn't until Tuesday. Does older cat eat less? I tried rotating flavors but she seems to get bored of it easily.

What's weird is she paid at my face when she wants food despite I already gave to her. 😭 I don't even know how to make her tummy happy

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - see if she'll lick food off of your finger, maybe you can handfeed her that way. It will take a while, but she needs to eat.

Typically older cats should eat mostly as much as they did, depending on their energy levels and health otherwise. Keep rotating flavors, and see if maybe there's something here that might help;
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

Last edited:

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll try that. I probably see if her teeth are OK when I'm at the vet . I'm hoping it's not a teeth problem like last time

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think a cat will starve themselves, but Feeby has me wonder from time to time about that!! I do think older cats tend to eat less, but I also think it is more typical if there are health issues involved. Feeby's eating diminished when she started having health issues, but it has also been exacerbated by the upheaval in the availability of certain canned foods, and what I think to be subsequent alterations in the content of those foods. I try to compare the ingredients, but it isn't always easy to catch every little nuanced change.

Feeby also will come to me for food even though her food dish is still relatively full. I am giving her an appetite stimulant to help with that, and it does somewhat. Feeby will also not eat any canned food that is not pate. Any other kind and she licks the gravy/juice off of it and leave the meat pieces behind. In her case, I know it is not her teeth, as she has a couple of long-time hard treat favorites that she still eats well.

I have resigned myself to the idea that food selections for her will be hit-or-miss for the rest of her life. (I do supplement her daily food with a jar of baby food meat - that never seems to get 'old'.)

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope it's not health related. I get anxious because of her age. My cat prefers pate. I hate dry food because she stubborn about water. I'm not prepared to lose my baby 😭

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Waiting for my vet appointment is nerve wrecking. Money will be tight since it's my cats meds month and my Dr bill along with my Dr visit . I was saving little for my cat .

I been giving my cat high calorie gel so it can keep her from starving. She ate well last night. She is getting a phenobarbital test and a senior blood panel. I'll be devastated if it's something wrong 😭

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BTW this wad her blood test at er .
I will see if there is improvement I hope.

Attachments