Cat is peeing on *everything* absorbent. Why? Is it a training thing or a health issue?

kittyqss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been noticing for the past few weeks my cat alternates between peeing a lot, and not peeing a lot. Some days she will spend a minute swiping in the litter box (and thus, tracks litter like CRAZY), and some days shes in and out. Some days she drinks a ton of water, some days she doesnt. Some days I see her peeing on adsorbent things (jeans, bathroom mats) or whatever things that are on the floor basically. I try to shoo her off, but it doesnt work - she will finish what shes doing, and wiggle her tail like shes finishing up peeing. She also tends to spend a lot of time licking her lower stomach, I dont know if thats relevant.
I tried giving her urinary tract food - she ate it, but got bored of it. I tried giving her a cap of apple cider vinegar with her water as I've read online, but she doesnt go for it.

Obviously I can take her to the vet but since this has been an on/off issue sometimes, and she still is playful and her mood hasnt changed, I dont see the need to spend hundreds of dollars on the vet unless I need to. If you know of anything that helped - changing the bowl shape, changing type of water (I feed her tap), adding chicken broth, whatever it is....would love to know. Too much litter being used? Not the right kind of litter? I scoop her litter every other day (never more than once every 3 days, I never let it get that long), and I change her water bowl every day, sometimes infrequently every two days.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She also tends to spend a lot of time licking her lower stomach,
This worries me, frankly, especially in combination with the other things. I'd suggest taking her in to the vet, whether it's stress related or health can you get a video of her licking so the vet can see exactly what she does?

As mentioned, cleaning the box daily is important, and try getting a water filter pitcher for her so she can drink water without flouride et al.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds like the way kidney failure presented in my Sweet Thing. I thought she was mad at me because I'd been out of town and was acting out, but she was really trying to get my attention, to tell me that peeing hurt her. If it were me I'd be calling the vet.

Margret

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been noticing for the past few weeks my cat alternates between peeing a lot, and not peeing a lot. Some days she will spend a minute swiping in the litter box (and thus, tracks litter like CRAZY), and some days shes in and out. Some days she drinks a ton of water, some days she doesnt. Some days I see her peeing on adsorbent things (jeans, bathroom mats) or whatever things that are on the floor basically. I try to shoo her off, but it doesnt work - she will finish what shes doing, and wiggle her tail like shes finishing up peeing. She also tends to spend a lot of time licking her lower stomach, I dont know if thats relevant.
I tried giving her urinary tract food - she ate it, but got bored of it. I tried giving her a cap of apple cider vinegar with her water as I've read online, but she doesnt go for it.

Obviously I can take her to the vet but since this has been an on/off issue sometimes, and she still is playful and her mood hasnt changed, I dont see the need to spend hundreds of dollars on the vet unless I need to. If you know of anything that helped - changing the bowl shape, changing type of water (I feed her tap), adding chicken broth, whatever it is....would love to know. Too much litter being used? Not the right kind of litter? I scoop her litter every other day (never more than once every 3 days, I never let it get that long), and I change her water bowl every day, sometimes infrequently every two days.
[/QUO
It is worth the cost since she may or may not have a problem. I so wish my cats could talk! Hope she feels better.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When was the last time she had a check up and a blood test? .

Like it's been said litter box needs to be cleaned every day. Some cats prefer right after they use it just once or they don't use it - that's why some people have more than 1-2 boxes at home.

There could be two different issues like one medical, and the other litter box habits.