Cat is missing! Advice please

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Michaleto went missing yesterday morning sometime between 3-4am, its now been 36+ hours and I am out of my mind with worry for him. His brother, Cezare, disappeared for a couple hours as well (perhaps in search) but has stayed very close to me since.

Both these cats are indoor/outdoor with free access. Niether of them ever stray far from the apartment and come almost immediately when called. They often roam together, however, Cezare was inside when Michaleto went missing. Michaleto, the missing cat, loves to be particularly active within the 3am-6am range (which is when he disappeared.) He's a big hunter and climber, often leaping into trees in a single bound or onto rooftops. He is extremely timid around people and reacts strongly to big or strange sounds, running for cover in a flash. I am positive no one stole him, more likely he is displaced/disoriented hiding in fear or hurt or worse.

I have posted flyers around the neighborhood, alerted my immediate neighbors (I live in a small condo complex), notified the chipping company, animal rescue, the local shelter, and all vets in the vicinity as well. I have walked around my neighborhood within a few blocks several times at different times of day calling and whistling for him. I don't know what else I can or should do. I need advice!

I feel as if he were in the immediate area (in the complex) his brother Cezare would know and not stick around the apartment, but rather stick near his brother. (He takes care of his little bro). Perhaps this is just a foolish assumption, but I have never had cats before, nor lost a pet before, so it's all foreign to me.

For the type of cat he is (timid, easily scared, etc., everything I have read makes it sound like he's the worst kind of cat to lose, since this type of cat basically shuts down, overcome with fear, and can resort to feral state easily.

HELP!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It is really likely that he is close and hiding.  Calling him won't work I'm afraid.  It's a case of meticulous searching. And while you're searching, tell people what you are doing.. they just may have seen him. You're doing the right thing with posters (you can never have too many) and you can also leaflet the area.

I really feel for you.. but it's very likely he's nearby and hiding very well.

Here's a thread that lists places that may have more to help you:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/248019/tips-for-finding-a-lost-cat

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is home! He came back tonight at about 1am. I don't know if it was coincidence or not but I asked my boyfriend to try to call him for a couple minutes and then, there he came running. He acted like he'd never been gone, looked and smelled clean too. We decided to shut them in for the night until morning... and now he's pawing and meowing from door to door. His brother keeps chasing him and jumping on his back and biting the back of his neck. I assume this is the alpha cat reasserting his dominance. 

Just glad he's home. 

I am getting the funny feeling he may disappear like this in the future again....hope not

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That's wonderful news..

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You should always call a cat that is missing.   If they are trapped you will hear their cries after you call.