Cat is lethargic and doesn’t want to eat

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello

I am not sure what to do or what to think right now. My anxiety is through the roof. On sept 28 my 17 month offline female calico Artemis got her vaccines - rabies, felv and fvrsomething…..vet said she is healthy.
After the vaccines she was a little quiet and loss of appetite but bounced back in about a day. But for the past few days….since at least Thursday…..she hasn’t been herself. Quiet, lethargic, not really eating. She is not vomiting and no diarrhea. She still grooms herself and will even play a little but not with her usual energy.
i do have a vet appointment booked for wed morning if she hasn’t perked up

some background. My male went to the vet for a uri several months ago and the vet said he might have the heroes virus and if he has it then my female probably does too. The herpes viruslays dormant but flare ups can happen due to stress. My cat got pretty stressed going to the vet on the 28th - it was the first time going without her brother. And I know herpes flare ups can cause lethargy and loss of appetite.

does anyone have any ideas? I don’t know what to do…….I’m trying to give her space but at the same time I also try to force her to eat soething, even treats. Funny enough her brother seems a little off to tonight. I know I can take her to the hospital but I don’t want to stress her out more

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ia she going poop and pee? When my boy had a bladder blockage he acted like you described. When my girl was seriously constipated she acted like that too.

Beyond that I don't know. My girl has allergies and they're flaring up a bit right now.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could have a flare up of the virus from stress or the antibodies from her vaccines have built up enough in this amount of time to cause the symptoms you describe. Either way, encourage water, get some lickable treats such as Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors to tempt her. My cats got the virus often until i started them on DMG. It builds up the immune system. You might want to research it and get some on Amazon or Walmart online. My cats havent got the virus now for 3 years!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Artemis is improving. I think she had a fever for a few days but that seems to have broke. She is eating (though seems to expect to be hand fed) and using the litter box morenoftem. She plays a little but is still a little low energy. Hoping that changes in the next few days

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She could've had a delayed reaction to the vaccines or she could've picked up a little virus from the stress of going to the vet for shots. Illness can show up about 7-10 days after the visit.

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes i did read the article.

I was just wondering if anyone might know how long it can take for her to get her energy back? Im anxious for my princess ti be back to her usual self

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if even your vet would be able to really be specific about her recovery time, since every cat is different and has different reactions.
Hang in there!!

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems like it is a herpes flare up - both cats seems to have some congestion. But they pee, poop, eat and drink. Rio is trying to play with Artemis but shes not quite there yet. Soon though. At least shes back to the auto feeder

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To help with the congestion, try having them in a bathroom with a hot shower running for a little bit. Or run a humidifier in a closed room, that sort of thing.